PDA

View Full Version : Old timer new to FG, testing the waters.

RicoPolo
November 27th, 2019, 18:41
Hi all,

I started playing RPGs back in the late 70's, starting the basic rules and then moving to Advanced when the 1st edition Player's Handbook came out. Over the years I branched out to RuneQuest, Rifts, Gamma World, Aftermath!, GURPS, etc. My last game session was back in 2001 or so, so it's been a while and I'm not at all familiar with the latest editions.

I've been getting the itch to play again, but I now live way out in the boonies. The nearest game store is a 90 minute drive, each way. :( As far as I know, there isn't any kind of tabletop group out here.

So, I'm looking for an experienced group that can help me learn the ropes again, using Fantasy Grounds for the first time. I'm in the mountain time zone, U.S. and can play weekday evenings. Monday through Friday from 5pm to 11pm (I'm old and can't stay up too late! LOL) I'm open to any rule set, but I recently got the Pathfinder 1e humble bundle, and the 2e core rule book PDF from Paizo, so I would have a small head start with those systems.

I'm a software engineer, so I won't have any trouble with computer related issues. As an example, I use Discord on a daily basis, and have my own Mumble server for friends when playing MMO's.

I'm very shy around people I don't know... it has taken me a few weeks to decide to sign up here and make a post. Once I get to know the group I will open up more though.

Trenloe
November 27th, 2019, 18:47
Welcome to the Fantasy Grounds forums!

You'll find quite a few people of a similar age range and situation as you on these forums. Being shy at first is OK, as long as you communicate well with your GM (assuming you'll be a player) pre-game and once the campaign gets going. It's the Internet, there can be flaky players, but if you're reliable and communicate well you'll have a great chance of getting into an amazing game.

seycyrus
November 27th, 2019, 23:42
Hi all,

I started playing RPGs back in the late 70's, starting the basic rules and then moving to Advanced when the 1st edition Player's Handbook came out. Over the years I branched out to RuneQuest, Rifts, Gamma World, Aftermath!, GURPS, etc. ...

Greetings! Just popping in to say hi and to let you know that the FG Gurps community is strong.

JohnD
November 28th, 2019, 01:07
Welcome. Just so you know there's a beautiful AD&D 2e ruleset and product line that will be what you remember playing from your younger years. A lot of us are in a similar situation and FG is a hobby saver.

RicoPolo
November 28th, 2019, 04:51
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Hopefully something comes along in my time slot... there seems to be a lot of Sunday afternoon games, but I have prior commitments on the weekend.