PDA

View Full Version : Athletics skill check for tripping

Haggar
November 24th, 2019, 21:12
Hi all, my whip wielding character uses his Athletics (Dex) to trip which our GM has made its only entry under the skills tab placing it right below Athletics (Str), Inspire Courage should add a +1 to the attack roll of these attacks but I don't believe it does because FG is recognizing it as a skill check only and not an attack roll. What's the best way to add the +1 from inspire courage onto the Athletics (Dex) checks in order to give my Whip that bonus when tripping? Thanks for the help.

ShadeRaven
November 24th, 2019, 22:32
I simply just have a Trip spell tab entry on the Action Page with a one-use boost. I use that type of process in my Drag and Drop module for skill actions, etc.

Trenloe
November 25th, 2019, 01:34
What's the best way to add the +1 from inspire courage onto the Athletics (Dex) checks in order to give my Whip that bonus when tripping?
As ShadeRaven mentions, or just manually add the +1 via the modifier window before you roll your Athletics check.

Haggar
November 25th, 2019, 05:15
Thanks guys, appreciate it!

yarnevk
November 25th, 2019, 08:21
Add skill actions to the actions tab as a spell that has an attack roll that is the same as your skill roll. Ignore the success as that is against AC. Would be nice if we could specify the save DC to use instead so we do not have to look it up on the targets sheet.

ShadeRaven
November 25th, 2019, 21:45
I am 100% sure Trenloe wants to eventually give more opens to the target DC than the standard 4 (AC, Reflex, Fort, and Will). That'll be pretty nice.. and require a lot of rewriting for things like my drag and drop or other community or character sheet efforts we have now.

I know he said he wanted to actually expand the character sheet to make it more complete (new tabs for dealing with different processes that PF2 has introduced to the game).

We don't ask for much here, do we :ninja:

What we have now is an amazing ruleset that lets us do so much already. Given a few years to develop (like 5E), I honestly think we'll see the best ruleset out there. I may be biased though :p

theMaXX
December 1st, 2019, 23:39
Is there a way to fix a DC for skill checks? I understand that you could create an action targeting Reflex/Fort/Will, but there will be a roll for those saves instead a fixed value, like DC.
I was thinking about creating a Dummy and quick edit it's AC to act as DC, and create weapon attacks for skills. Would you think it's a viable approach? Swapping targets?

ShadeRaven
December 2nd, 2019, 03:55
MaXX: Honestly, whatever you can get to work for you, I think is great. In general, though, that sounds like a lot of work with a lot of variables for little need (again, though, just my perspective). The little nuances that go into a character sheet, the updates for conditions, spell boosts, etc., would all have to go to the dummy record. From my viewpoint, being able to just hit the skill off a character sheet (plus any modifiers which can be handled with effects, mentally, or with the modifier box in the lower left) and just reporting it as success or failure is way easier.

I am sure that, down the line somewhere, we'll see additional functionality in the character sheets that will allow for skill vs DC checks to be had (in fact, if you want a brief view of it, check out the skills tab on the Party Sheet as a GM - there you can set a DC rating and rolls skills against that - so we know the functionality is already there). For now, *I* think it's just quicker/easier to just roll and report. That said, I am always look out for new ideas and features to make the game easier, so if you come up with something smoother that ties in with the character sheet, I am all in on it :)

PS: Truly industrious folk might consider tackling the ruleset code and making an EXT to handle this...which almost sounds tempting to me, but honestly.. I am already working on too many things myself, so if you have any knack for that sort of thing, I'd say go for it.

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2019, 04:00
PS: Truly industrious folk might consider tackling the ruleset code and making an EXT to handle this...which almost sounds tempting to me, but honestly.. I am already working on too many things myself, so if you have any knack for that sort of thing, I'd say go for it.
With the proviso that the ruleset is changing almost weekly and any extensions written this week might not work next week. If that's something a community developer is fine with then, indeed, go for it.

ShadeRaven
December 2nd, 2019, 05:14
Consider it a learning experience! :D (Disclaimer: Any of the provided opinions and suggestions provided by me within this thread do not reflect my personal desire to do any such thing myself :p)

theMaXX
December 2nd, 2019, 13:10
I simply just have a Trip spell tab entry on the Action Page with a one-use boost. I use that type of process in my Drag and Drop module for skill actions, etc.

I understand... i guess a dummy is not a good idea afterall. When i saw this topic and you mentioned the actions i thought that i could be missing something... sorry about that.

ShadeRaven
December 2nd, 2019, 16:00
Nothing to be sorry about! In fact, tossing about ideas like you did is where most of the good community contributions come from, and even food for thought for the devs that get used. Always feel free to toss about some thoughts ... it'll always be welcomed by myself (and others I am sure) who are looking for better ways to handle things.

Haggar
December 3rd, 2019, 15:15
My GM is looking to put it into the actions tab. Is it possible to have it target Reflex instead of enemy AC?

theMaXX
December 3rd, 2019, 15:23
My GM is looking to put it into the actions tab. Is it possible to have it target Reflex instead of enemy AC?

It's possible to make your opponent roll a REFLEX SAVE against the effect... but not to make an attack against reflex DC yet.

At least as far as i know...

Trenloe
December 3rd, 2019, 17:43
Not yet.