PDA

View Full Version : Problem when deleting LOS segment

Sigil
November 23rd, 2019, 06:13
When trying to delete a segment between 2 nodes, extra segment are being deleted.

1. Draw a new segment through the line segment to be deleted. Creating new node where the 2 segment intersect.
2. Double click the end node of the new line segment, selecting all the nodes in the new line segment.
3. Using the "-" button to remove the new line segment, leaving the node where the 2 segments intersected. After the deletion, more than the desired segment between the 2 nodes is deleted.

Video
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qav6mhJjbp8dvUZuCUfFJHnQXDX3wT9j

Thank you,
Sigil

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2019, 06:52
I've filed as FGU-758.

Were you using the latest build published to patch system earlier today?

Thanks,
JPG

Sigil
November 23rd, 2019, 07:14
I've filed as FGU-758.

Were you using the latest build published to patch system earlier today?

Thanks,
JPG

I just rechecked and I am using the newest build.

pollux
November 25th, 2019, 05:10
I reproduce this or something tremendously like it. When I delete a LoS vertex, it removes the rest of the vertices from it to the end of the line in one direction.

A workaround is to:

Delete the unwanted vertex. FGU will delete many extra vertices at this point.
Delete ANOTHER adjacent vertex. This will go smoothly with no unexpected additional deletions.
Press Ctrl-Z to undo the previous action. All the erroneously deleted vertices will return, leaving a gap in the line where at least one of the deliberately deleted vertices was previously located.
Now you can draw additional line to link things up as you desire.

This happened to me quite frequently in this evenening's LoS editing session for the FG Battlemaps. If there's interest, I can provide moduledb files and videos, but I feel like the repro instructions are pretty tight here already. I'm on the latest build as of 2019-11-25.

pindercarl
November 25th, 2019, 14:40
I am unable to reproduce this, as shown in the original post, is the current build. Can you add a new video demonstrating the issue so I have a clearer idea what's occurring?

Sigil
November 25th, 2019, 20:28
I just reran the FGU updater and no update was made, so up to date. I then tried again performing the delete segment operation described in the original post, same result. I am running from my D drive. I tried deleting the xml file.
I have attached the campaign xml file and a video showing and discribing the issue I am encountering.

Video

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_FBoxBGUZfarlBTmV6IWMVqRn11xFjJB

Sigil
November 25th, 2019, 21:37
So here is a new wrinkle. I was trying to confirm the above behavior. After repeating the above steps with same results, I closed the image and reopened it, now the missing segments are showing up. Maybe after removing the segments the FGU in some cases is not redrawing the segments? Just a thought.

pindercarl
November 26th, 2019, 01:14
So here is a new wrinkle. I was trying to confirm the above behavior. After repeating the above steps with same results, I closed the image and reopened it, now the missing segments are showing up. Maybe after removing the segments the FGU in some cases is not redrawing the segments? Just a thought.

Thanks, Sigil. I was able to reproduce the error following your video, though it's pretty hit or miss whether or not the error occurs. It's possible that the UI is not updating appropriately. I'll check that the next time I can get the error to happen again.

pollux
November 26th, 2019, 02:55
Here's another repro with slightly different steps, may or may not add color to what's happening here.

This demo is with the attached XML file, using the NoGrid_Underdark_tunnels_A map.
At 6s when the points disappear for the first time, I press the delete key with one LoS vertex selected.
At 10s when the points come back, I press Ctrl-Z to undelete the vertex I just deleted. But all the points come back.
From 12-18 seconds, I delete 1 point, then a second point. Then I Ctrl-Z to undo... and most of the points come back, but I've now successfully deleted SOME point and can see some other points. This is the workaround I've been using, as you can clean things up from here. I then do a second Ctrl-Z just because I wanted to get back to my initial state and not save a deletion on this map.

This is deterministically reproduceable for me in this campaign file, it happens every time I delete a point on that line (and a bunch of others). The fact that the points come back with a Ctrl-Z suggests to me that maybe it's a UI update issue, and the points are in the campaign database correctly. And the Ctrl-Z operation induces a redraw of some kind to bring the points back. Thanks for looking into it.

pindercarl
November 26th, 2019, 05:39
Here's another repro with slightly different steps, may or may not add color to what's happening here.

This demo is with the attached XML file, using the NoGrid_Underdark_tunnels_A map.
At 6s when the points disappear for the first time, I press the delete key with one LoS vertex selected.
At 10s when the points come back, I press Ctrl-Z to undelete the vertex I just deleted. But all the points come back.
From 12-18 seconds, I delete 1 point, then a second point. Then I Ctrl-Z to undo... and most of the points come back, but I've now successfully deleted SOME point and can see some other points. This is the workaround I've been using, as you can clean things up from here. I then do a second Ctrl-Z just because I wanted to get back to my initial state and not save a deletion on this map.

This is deterministically reproduceable for me in this campaign file, it happens every time I delete a point on that line (and a bunch of others). The fact that the points come back with a Ctrl-Z suggests to me that maybe it's a UI update issue, and the points are in the campaign database correctly. And the Ctrl-Z operation induces a redraw of some kind to bring the points back. Thanks for looking into it.

Thanks, pollux. I found an issue with the UI updates and it should be resolved when the next build is pushed. Thanks, again, everyone for helping track this down.

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2019, 05:48
pollux,

Can you try again with the build I just pushed to the FGU patch system?

Carl added a couple fixes that should address the issue, but we want to make sure, since it can be sporadic to recreate.

Regards,
JPG

Sigil
November 26th, 2019, 14:34
Made sure my FGU was updated. Still having the same issue of sporadic missing line segment after delete. Missing line segments will reappear after switch back and forth between LOS mode and play mode.

pollux
November 28th, 2019, 17:12
Made sure my FGU was updated. Still having the same issue of sporadic missing line segment after delete.

Confirmed. No change in behavior for me either with a build downloaded about 20 minutes ago.

Moon Wizard
November 29th, 2019, 23:15
Just pushed another build, in which Carl added some more code to catch potential situations where this is happening.

Can you guys retest, and let me know if you are still seeing? If so, can you provide steps again?

Thanks,
JPG

Sigil
November 30th, 2019, 16:36
Updated to the newest build. Now I am able to add LOS to entire map, with hundreds of segment deletions without seeing the reported issue. Looks fixed to me!!

pollux
December 1st, 2019, 15:28
Confirmed. Bug squashed. Party time.