PDA

View Full Version : Problem with formatting text

lozanoje
November 22nd, 2019, 19:56
Hi:

Anyone know if there is a kind of problem with text formatting with CoC7 ruleset?

CTRL+B does not work
CTRL+I does not work
CTRL+U DOES work

Coc7 is based on CoreRPG, and with CoreRPG all formatting options work. The problem is with CoC7 only.

CoreRPG bold font definition:

<font name="reference-b">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/bold-10.fgf" />
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Bold.ttf" name="Open Sans Bold" size="14" />
<color value="#000000" />
</font>

I cant see CoC7 bold font definition because Smite has decided to put all rulesets in the vault directory and now all are password protected, impeding us to create new extensions and content to improve the rulesets.

Any ideas?

Note: I've already deleted the full data directory (\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds) + update + clean creation of a new empty campaing.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2019, 20:13
You can only format text in formatted text controls, not string controls. If you are editing a field (the record is unlocked) and you right-click in the field and you don't see the (Text) radial-menu icon then it's not a formatted text control. For example, the only field on the character sheet "Personal" tab that is a formatted text field is the "Personal Description" field, all the others on that tab are string field controls which don't have text formatting.

lozanoje
November 22nd, 2019, 20:19
You can only format text in formatted text controls, not string controls. If you are editing a field (the record is unlocked) and you right-click in the field and you don't see the (Text) radial-menu icon then it's not a formatted text control. For example, the only field on the character sheet "Personal" tab that is a formatted text field is the "Personal Description" field, all the others on that tab are string field controls which don't have text formatting.

I am trying to format text from Story, which works in CoreRPG, and it doesnt in CoC7 for me.

I use the radial menu/bold and nothing happens, no bold text

Additional information: speaking with friends, there are people that claims that work and other that it doesnt, quite strange

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2019, 20:28
Thanks for providing a specific example of the issue. Hopefully one of the CoC devs will be along soon to review.

lozanoje
November 22nd, 2019, 20:35
More information, this is the story part of the db.xml:

<id-00001>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p><b>Trying</b> <i>text</i> <u>formatting</u></p>
<p></p>
</text>
</id-00001>

And the results:

Only underline works.

Just for the record: I've deleted the DATA directory (AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds) for testing purposes, then updated FG and created a new empty campaign.

damned
November 23rd, 2019, 01:03
Here is a screenshot of me testing just now.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30418

I used keyboard shortcuts for all - ctrl+2, ctrl+3, ctrl+4, ctrl+5, ctrl+6, ctrl+1, ctrl+b, ctrl+i

damned
November 23rd, 2019, 01:04
Can you do
/console
in chat, move it aside and then
/reload
in chat
Do you get any error or warning messages in the console?

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2019, 01:07
Here is a screenshot of me testing just now.

I used keyboard shortcuts for all - ctrl+2, ctrl+3, ctrl+4, ctrl+5, ctrl+6, ctrl+1, ctrl+b, ctrl+i
Doesn't work for me. I notice you have v3.3.8a, whereas I have v3.3.8. Are you in test or live?

EDIT: Actually "test" shows v3.3.8 too and the same problem exists.

damned
November 23rd, 2019, 01:41
I removed my dev instance and used the updater vaulted pak file

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30420

Anything else that you can think might be causing this?

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2019, 04:28
Anything else that you can think might be causing this?
Do you have FGU installed on that PC?

I have it installed on mine which has the issue.

Doing some testing on my VM...

damned
November 23rd, 2019, 05:51
No. No FGU - but I think the OP or the other who has posted this originally did so pre-FGU.

lozanoje
November 23rd, 2019, 07:06
Can you do
/console
in chat, move it aside and then
/reload
in chat
Do you get any error or warning messages in the console?

Runtime Notice: Reloading ruleset
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: '
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: ' | s'GM' | s'ff70002a' | bFALSE
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: ' | s'ff70002a' | bFALSE
Runtime Notice: s'setDiceColor: ' | s'ff70002a' | bFALSE

lozanoje
November 23rd, 2019, 07:09
Do you have FGU installed on that PC?

I have it installed on mine which has the issue.

Doing some testing on my VM...

Yes, but i think this problem was pre-FGU beta.

damned
November 23rd, 2019, 07:45
Im really sorry but I cannot replicate the issue...

Valyar
November 23rd, 2019, 09:36
I had such formatting issue with CoC 7e ruleset and together with the SW support we nailed down the root cause, after they provided me the exported fonts for further troubleshooting - XMIND Professional, mind-mapping software is packed with font with this name as part of its installation and this was causing the problem within the ruleset. Once I removed the application it was working again.

It might not be XMIND in your case, but another app that is having same fonts name installed in Windows. Fantasy Grounds handles fonts differently and therefore - conflict.

damned
November 23rd, 2019, 10:06
Thanks Valyar

That could well be it. Here is a small extension CoC7E Default Fonts that will use CoreRPG fonts for those specific fonts...
If anyone can test...?

JubiladosdeArkham
November 23rd, 2019, 14:09
I reported this same issue on September. Finally it seams to work just fine with that extension.

Thanks damned!

damned
November 23rd, 2019, 14:36
Hi pendragon2009 it seems that another application has installed a similar font name on your computer and this is causing your FG to not be able to display that font correctly...
Thank you for confirming that it works with this extension.

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2019, 15:18
Thanks Valyar

That could well be it. Here is a small extension CoC7E Default Fonts that will use CoreRPG fonts for those specific fonts...
If anyone can test...?
Yeah, that works. Nice one.

What were the names of the old fonts?

lozanoje
November 23rd, 2019, 17:07
Hi pendragon2009 it seems that another application has installed a similar font name on your computer and this is causing your FG to not be able to display that font correctly...
Thank you for confirming that it works with this extension.

Then,
But why does Corerpg work? Does it use fgf instead of tfg fonts?

So uninstalling the font Will also solve the problem?

lozanoje
November 23rd, 2019, 19:51
Solved, to fix it:

1. Go Control Panel/Fonts and uninstall OpenSans fonts (there are from 1 to 6 fonts there), uninstall them all, maybe some are in use and you cant unistall them, go to step 2.
2. Go to Windows/Fonts, search for OpenSans-xxx.ttf files and delete them all.
3. Reboot.

If dev team want to replicate the problem, in case they want to solve it, just install the OpenSans fonts and then you wont be able to use those fonts inside Fantasy Grounds.

damned
November 24th, 2019, 00:15

Open Sans.

Then,

CoreRPG didnt use Open Sans, Call of Cthulhu is using it. The extension I uplpaded overwrite the Open Sans definitions and uses the Candara SDF from CoreRPG.

damned
November 24th, 2019, 00:17

Then,

Solved, to fix it:

1. Go Control Panel/Fonts and uninstall OpenSans fonts (there are from 1 to 6 fonts there), uninstall them all, maybe some are in use and you cant unistall them, go to step 2.
2. Go to Windows/Fonts, search for OpenSans-xxx.ttf files and delete them all.
3. Reboot.

If dev team want to replicate the problem, in case they want to solve it, just install the OpenSans fonts and then you wont be able to use those fonts inside Fantasy Grounds.

Its not 100% that simple - I have Open Sans installed - its just exactly the same version of Open Sans that Ive used in Call of Cthulhu - buy yes - it seems having a different variant of Open Sans - which is a very common font - could cause this...

lozanoje
November 24th, 2019, 04:36
Open Sans.

CoreRPG didnt use Open Sans, Call of Cthulhu is using it. The extension I uplpaded overwrite the Open Sans definitions and uses the Candara SDF from CoreRPG.

Are you sure?

<announcement text="CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.9 for Fantasy Grounds\rCopyright 2019 Smiteworks USA, LLC" font="emotefont" icon="rulesetlogo_CoreRPG" />

Bold font definition:

<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Bold.ttf" name="Open Sans Bold" size="14" />
</font>

And your fix replace it with:

<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/bold-10.fgf" />
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Candara.ttf" name="Candara SDF" size="16" bold="true" />
</font>

JubiladosdeArkham
November 24th, 2019, 09:20
Deleting Opensans on my Mac didn't fix the problem. At least I have damned's extension.

damned
November 24th, 2019, 10:02
Are you sure?

Bold font definition:

And your fix replace it with:

I had a feeling that Open Sans was being introduced for Unity to replace Candara but I didnt have time to check.
My extension is pretty much cut n paste from 3.3.7 whereas 3.3.9 has a bunch of Unity changes in it including Open Sans replacing Candara.
The Open Sans versions in 3.3.9 are a different variation than the ones I have used.
Ill do some more experimentation when I get some time.

Moon Wizard
November 24th, 2019, 23:31
The way that FGC uses to generate fonts from TTF files (using Windows OS font system) is different than the way that FGU generates fonts from TTF files (using custom dynamic font generation built for Unity platform).

For FGC, the TTF font is requested to be loaded by Windows, then we ask Windows to open the named font. The problem you are seeing is probably related to the fact that Windows may return a similarly named TTF font, other than the TTF file included in the ruleset. There's no way using the Windows font APIs to override that.

You may need to include a FGF for those fonts to be explicit for FGC, which will be ignored for FGU.

Regards,
JPG

Valyar
November 26th, 2019, 17:52
What was pushed today, the update caused all fonts to be bigger and the whole composition of fonts across the ruleset no longer balanced (but now more readable... :D )
Is there a way to revert to the previous and have extension for people who have font issues or? :(

damned
November 26th, 2019, 21:14
Thanks Valyar Im investigating.

RLacey
December 4th, 2019, 11:51
Thanks for fixing the fonts issue (at least, it was fixed for me when I updated today)! :)

damned
December 4th, 2019, 12:02
Yes after Valyars feedback we pushed a new version which appears to have gone live in todays patch.