PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Table

astromath
November 20th, 2019, 01:59
Is there a way for a table line to "detect" the number of PCs? Example would be 2 random encounters that calls for 2 times the number of PCs of one creature OR 3 times the number of PCs of a different creature. (The table rolls a 1d2.)

I thought I saw such a table in one of the recent modules but I can't remember which one.

Zacchaeus
November 20th, 2019, 02:26
You can use the $PC function in a random encounter to generate a number of beasties equal to a number times the number of PCs on the party sheet. So 2*$PC will give you 2 of that creature for each PC in the party. I don’t think the function works in tables though.

astromath
November 21st, 2019, 15:23
Nope. Don't work.

I was asking because there are a few random encounters in the random encounter tables in Tyranny of Dragons that depend on the number of PCs. The Mere of Dead Men Random Encounters specifically. Each of those encounters can be replaced with the #*$PC (# = number of creatures) in a random creature encounter generator. See attached jpg. Replace the left encounter with the right encounter. 30389

Eru the One
November 21st, 2019, 20:13
Make sure you have the PCs on the party sheet.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30391&d=1574367771

astromath
November 21st, 2019, 20:40
In the image I posted, the left encounter is the one already in the module. The encounter on the right is what I'm proposing to be the replacement for the one on the left.

Eru the One
November 21st, 2019, 20:50
Did you hit the Generate on the bottom to create the encounter? My bottom right is from ToD and the bottom left is what the Generate created.

Trenloe
November 21st, 2019, 20:56
Did you hit the Generate on the bottom to create the encounter? My bottom right is from ToD and the bottom left is what the Generate created.
Thanks for mentioning. The Mere of Dead Men Encounters table mentions the number of creatures per PC. As you say, it would be nice to have this all rolled into the random encounter functionality. I'm sure Zacchaeus will pick this up and respond now that you've clarified the reason for your question in the original post.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2019, 21:50
Indeed. If you point me in the direction of such encounters in the bugs thread I can fix those. The $PC function wasn't available when that module was done.