PDA

View Full Version : Effects issue, HellKnight Hill (spoiler)

Larsenex
November 16th, 2019, 22:36
Spoiler alert.

The players found and equipped the silver sword found in room A9. I decided to add a +1 magical effect. When the players went against the imps in A10 the hits from the Silver sword were still being resisted with -3. The imps would normally not be resistant to silver weapons.

Is FG calculating the resist right or was it missing the fact the player was using the silver sword?

Larsenex
November 17th, 2019, 00:59
To clarify, the imps have dmg reduction against physical attacks of 3. All physical attack dmg is being reduced in Fantasy grounds by 3. However it should not reduce damage from a silver weapon. As the tag line for the imp is physical 3 (except silver).

I have tried modifying Shades imp thinking it was a tag issue or the sword but it does not seem to work. Is this currently working as intended in FG and I just need to 'back out' the reduction manually for now?

ShadeRaven
November 17th, 2019, 01:29
Lars: The problem is in the weapon. What you need is silver to be added to type (along with slashing) for the !silver exclusion on physical damage to take effect. That property should probably be included in the base module, though, you are right.

Larsenex
November 17th, 2019, 01:39
Ok cool. I thought the only properties were the striking ones. I will put it in now.

Larsenex
November 17th, 2019, 01:46
Yea I have tried. I put silver in the properties> nothing. I put silver in traits > nothing , I put silver in damage type still nothing. The imp resists the physical dmg by 3 every time. Is the 'except silver' condition working on other targets?

Keep in mind my players still overcame this encounter but let them know I was going to see if it was a bug or something I did wrong with the sword.

Larsenex
November 17th, 2019, 01:51
Ok I see the issue. I solved the problem. On the effect page wiki it says 'exceptions currently not operational' meaning that the creature who is resist physical 5 (except cold iron) will still resist 5 on all rolls regardless of excepted weapon material. The rule is not yet in fantasy grounds.

ShadeRaven
November 17th, 2019, 02:54
Did you not get it to work? this confuses me. It works for me:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30301

You can see in the weapon entry on the Action Tab, it has piercing, silver. When damage is dealt, it deals TYPE: piercing, silver. The imp has RESIST: 3 physical, !silver. Because the weapon is dealing 3 physical damage (piercing) but also silver damage, it does the full damage to the imp (4), instead of 1 damage which it would have done if the silver type wasn't in the type field.

Larsenex
November 17th, 2019, 03:30
Ok got it to work. The issue I had was I was editing the item. Unlocking it, adding silver to it thinking it would change the tag. You have to enter 'silver' on that weapon on the actions page using the magnifying glass. Just type it directly next to the 'slashing' and it will show up in the damage type tags.

Further update> I was modding the HK hill sword. I could not get the 'dmg' type to show silver even after I unlocked it.

So I took a regular longsword and made a copy per the wiki and added the traits > silver, +1, and copy and pasted the text block entries all in a fresh copy. This had the correct tags right off the bat.

Note to self. If you are going to mod or change a modules loot, use clean copies.

yarnevk
November 17th, 2019, 18:34
So is the module wrong is this conclusion?

UltimateGM
November 17th, 2019, 18:41
No, it seems he is tweeking the module. I do this on a large scale to make my adventures unique.

Larsenex
November 18th, 2019, 00:08
I was tweaking a single item and directly modded it from the module. I should have just made a clean item from a copy of the base item from the CRB. I am also changing some of the encounters.

ShadeRaven
November 18th, 2019, 01:14
I often find myself customizing (sometimes on the fly) published encounters to better suit my campaigns. Always good to learn tricks and techniques to making GMing easier or better. I know I learn a lot from hearing (reading) how others handle things. :)

UltimateGM
November 24th, 2019, 05:16
In Cult of Cinderclaws, 3.03.14 A13 The Fortress of Sorrow should have the link: Chapter 3: Blood for Gold should be Chapter 4: Legacy of Ash and Bone. And the link in 3.03.15 A14 should have Chapter 3: Blood for Gold instead of Chapter 4 Legacy of Ash and Bone. Those two links need switched around.

sciencephile
November 24th, 2019, 22:43
I fixed all the Age of Ashes and Fall of Plaguestone modules to have silver/cold iron in the damage types so this should work correctly upon the next update (likely on Tuesday). I also fixed the link issue reported above.

Larsenex
November 25th, 2019, 19:38
Sciencephile >>> Thank you!

Willot
November 25th, 2019, 20:15
Ive found when you place an item in a parcel (or a npc in encounters), the item (or npc) is a copy of the original, so any changes you make to the original item wouldn't translate over to the parcel one or the one in the player inventory or combat tracker (or npc) and vica versa

Trenloe
November 25th, 2019, 20:41
Ive found when you place an item in a parcel (or a npc in encounters), the item (or npc) is a copy of the original, so any changes you make to the original item wouldn't translate over to the parcel one or the one in the player inventory or combat tracker (or npc) and vica versa
Correct for parcels (item data is copied to the parcel), but incorrect for encounters - where the NPC record that was added to the encounter is linked to the encounter, the data isn't copied.