PDA

View Full Version : Table Output

flekhabren
November 12th, 2019, 02:08
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this.

I've got a table that can help me generate random names for places so I can be prepared for whatever my party throws at me. It works as is but I wondered if I could make the output prettier. So for example right now it could roll up Tower of the Copper Gold.

The output is:

Name Pt1 = 1
Name Pt2 = of the
Name Pt3 = 2
Name Pt4 = 3
{dice roll}
Tower
{dice roll}
Copper
{dice roll}
Gold

Is there a way with tables - or some other function - to just get "Tower of the Copper Gold" as the output? (for this example)

LordEntrails
November 12th, 2019, 02:28
Combined tables with Story Templates.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Story_Templates

flekhabren
November 12th, 2019, 03:08
I must be doing it wrong. If I link the table directly I get ; between each of the table columns, but I cant reference multiple tables in a single column I dont think?
If I link story templates to a table it does nothing. I can get each of the options to work by referencing a table within the story template but I'm not sure how to select which of the 6 naming options to use.

LordEntrails
November 12th, 2019, 03:24
You can't link a Story Template from a table, you link that table to fill in parts of the blank story. Also be aware that nested tables don't .work well because FG rolls dice for the tables and the result of roll 2 might be completed before roll 1 and hence things will show up in the wrong order.

Also check the wiki for notation. It is very specific. You have to get the brackets, spaces, etc all perfect or it won't work. I suggest you try to duplicate one of the samples, then try what you are trying, and post screen shots when you have problems. And as always, start simple, get simple work then slowly make it more complex.

Zacchaeus
November 12th, 2019, 09:18
You need this video (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37400-Video-on-Story-Templates) which explains exactly how you would do what you want and a whole lot more.

Bidmaron
November 13th, 2019, 04:11
You can't link a Story Template from a table, you link that table to fill in parts of the blank story. Also be aware that nested tables don't .work well because FG rolls dice for the tables and the result of roll 2 might be completed before roll 1 and hence things will show up in the wrong order.

Also check the wiki for notation. It is very specific. You have to get the brackets, spaces, etc all perfect or it won't work. I suggest you try to duplicate one of the samples, then try what you are trying, and post screen shots when you have problems. And as always, start simple, get simple work then slowly make it more complex.

This is no longer the case that nested tables don't work. That was fixed in 3.3.7 or 3.3.8. Tabel rolls are now guaranteed to complete in the order calls.

LordEntrails
November 13th, 2019, 15:07
This is no longer the case that nested tables don't work. That was fixed in 3.3.7 or 3.3.8. Tabel rolls are now guaranteed to complete in the order calls.
Good to know, thanks.

flekhabren
November 18th, 2019, 04:10
Ok, so another related question, is there a way to store a generate story button on the hotlinks at the bottom of the screen?

As it relates to my other question in case others search and find this, I changed my tables from being linked tables to using [] references for the tables to make it all fit on a single column of the table, then the story template could call the table and look properly formatted.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2019, 04:12
Ok, so another related question, is there a way to store a generate story button on the hotlinks at the bottom of the screen?
*shrugs* Have you tried dragging it there?

flekhabren
November 18th, 2019, 04:28
*shrugs* Have you tried dragging it there?

Yeah, no luck with that.

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2019, 11:10
Do you mean the actual button at the bottom of the story template? If so no you can't. But you can store the template there.

flekhabren
November 18th, 2019, 12:34
Do you mean the actual button at the bottom of the story template? If so no you can't. But you can store the template there.

More specifically a single click option to generate the story like the single click to generate table results.

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2019, 14:47
More specifically a single click option to generate the story like the single click to generate table results.

Em, you only need to click the generate button once? I'm clearly missing what you are looking for here.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2019, 16:16
So you can drag the link for the story template to the hot bar, which will open the story template up so you can then click the generate button. But you can not drag the generate button itself to the hotbar.

flekhabren
November 18th, 2019, 17:13
Em, you only need to click the generate button once? I'm clearly missing what you are looking for here.

I dont feel like I have the screen space to leave it up, so I click once on the hot key to open the template page and once to generate from that. What can I say, I'm lazy... ish.