PDA

View Full Version : Possible Game Friday to Start Late Morning or Early Afternoon

Morfedel
November 16th, 2006, 18:13
Hi there. I'm considering running a game Fridays, late morning or early afternoon start time (central time zone, GMT-6). It would not be D&D/D20 however.

I prefer using Fantasy Grounds, but most of my friends won't buy the software and thus prefer to use OpenRPG; so, I advertised there first. Thus, the bulk of the information is there. If this time might fit you, go check out my post here: https://forums.rpghost.com/showthread.php?p=698296#post698296. (https://forums.rpghost.com/showthread.php?p=698296#post698296)

Depending on interest, I will run it on OpenRPG or Fantasy Grounds. I'm going to try for FG, but... well, you know.

Let me know either way.

bobbyk
November 17th, 2006, 01:46
So, if it's not D&D, what setting is it in?

FG is above and beyond OpenRPG in my experience, the Fantasy Grounds interface makes the game very immersive.

Morfedel
November 17th, 2006, 02:19
I agree; and I'd prefer FG myself, but....

Anyway, I had a link up in my first post to the openRPG thread where I go into more detail... but I'll change it to make it more obvious. Give me about 1 minute after posting this, then scroll up to my original post and follow the link :)

Morfedel
November 17th, 2006, 02:25
You know....

FG does make running D&D easier than otherwise. I guess I COULD run D&D if I did it in FG. If I did, however, it would not be standard D&D. It would have to be one of the following:

Iron Kingdoms: a very cool blend of genres of fantasy gaming with a steampunk kind of atmosphere; and, perhaps, one of the richest game worlds I've ever seen for D&D.
Arcana Evolved: My favorite rules set if I were to do a more "generic" setting. I have several game worlds I like to run for AE.
The Black Company Campaign Setting: This has what I consider the best magic system for D20 that I've seen yet. Its pretty darned awesome. The other classes are, for the most part, very cool too, and in a nice gritty world.
Midnight: Although sometimes running this game world can be exhausting, its a lot of fun running a Lord-of-the-Ringsish world where Sauron won. :)

Frankly, I lean wards either Iron Kingdoms or The Black Company game setting, if I went this route instead of a non-d20 game.

Morfedel
November 17th, 2006, 18:26
BobbyK, if you are still interested, I have three other people that might be as well... and I think I'll go ahead and run D&D Iron Kingdoms if everyone is willing.

Let me know! :)

bobbyk
November 17th, 2006, 20:17
looking at the Iron Kingoms the setting really interests me... I need to read up on it some more. I hope the rules don't vary too much from standard D&D 3.5, my brain is already bursting with the the rules as is =)

What time would you expect games to be starting and ending?

Morfedel
November 17th, 2006, 23:18
I'd start the game somewhere between 11 am and 2 pm central time (GMT-6); and have it run for about 3 hours. My actual start time will depend on what everyone wants, but I'm fairly flexible, hence the broad beginning possible start time.

I think you will really like the setting. Iron Kingdoms is the most evocative world I've ever seen for D20, and I'm quite excited about it.

Now realize that the Character Guide, etc, was published during the 3.0 rules, and I don't think there was an update, so I MAY be running this as 3.0 rather than 3.5 version.

All of the classes have been changed, though the Rogue was the least changed and quite minimal; also, four new classes were added:

1) Arcane Mechanik - a blend of wizard and engineer, creating arcane mechanika. There is actually a revised version in another book called the Liber Mechanika, as they decided the original was a bit underpowered, but I haven't picked that up yet, I'm afraid; if anyone chooses to play this, I will retroactively update the character when possible.

2) The Gun Mage - a sorcerer who channels his spells through a pistol, and enchants his bullets to be more powerful or impart spells upon impact.

3) The Bodger - A specialized mechanic who can get gear working with a few choice words and a well-placed kick. I'm not entirely sure how useful this particular character would be in an adventure though, so I'm posting a question for it on the publisher's forums.

4) The Fell Caller - limited to one race, but its a kind of anti-bard... their deep, low voices inspiring fear and terror in their enemies.

Also, the races available are somewhat different.

1) Humans - duh! :) They have optional rules for playing Ethnicities that modify the human characters... I haven't decided if I'll use those or not yet.
2) Goblincome in two races:
Gobber - these arent the D&D Goblins though, and are quite civilized, if
a little wacky; usually called Gobbers for short.
Bogrin - bigger, meaner, less intelligent Gobbers.
3) Iosan (elf)
4) Nyss (Winter Elf)
5) Ogrun - civilized Ogre types, +1 level adjustment
6) Trollkin - civilized troll-like critters, +1 level adjustment

It's important to note that IK takes a vastly different approach to the role of races and classes than typical books. If you are in fact buying the book, make sure to read them carefully :)

bobbyk
November 17th, 2006, 23:29
I just put the character guide and Liber Mechanika with one day shipping, they should be here in time for me to read over thanksgiving with family =D

I've only been playing D&D avidly for about 8 months now but I can't believe this setting has completely eluded me!

if i were to play it would probably be a class a little less traditional, I enjoy trying out new things!

-Bobby

bobbyk
November 18th, 2006, 00:45
the gun mage actually reminds me of the characters I usually play, an Arcane Trickster with a gun, too cool =)

Morfedel
November 18th, 2006, 01:28
I don't have the darned Liber Mechanika yet, darn you!

Then again, I ordered the Campaign guide, which is a tad more important. I won't have it for two weeks though. Ordered it from my FLGS, and they are a bit slower, but its a darned good store, and I want to support them, so....

Morfedel
November 18th, 2006, 18:26
Ok, I have I believe 4 players. One of them went out of town for the weekend, so I'll start confirming in the next week.

bobbyk
November 19th, 2006, 02:13
You can probably confirm for me, I've been reading the Privateer forums and really digging what I'm reading

Can't wait to get my hands on materials for Arcane Mechaniks, gunmages, and Warcasters.

I'm soooo totally a gobber!!

Morfedel
November 19th, 2006, 18:32
LOL! Gobbers ARE pretty darned cool, thats for sure, hehe! We also have someone that might want to play a Trollkin shaman.

Morfedel
January 4th, 2007, 00:22
We need one more player; sadly, bobby had to drop out.

if so, we would like an intelligent and mature player. We tend to run storylike plots - combat is a definite part of the game, but we run plots - we don't have hack-n-slash or monty-haul adventures.

If you'd like to see our blog/campaign log, you can see it at: https://ironkingdomschronicles.blogspot.com ; we are just getting started and have only run the intro session for some of the adventurers, so you haven't missed much yet.

The day and time of the game is 11 am to 2 pm Fridays, central time (GMT-6). Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

James / Morfedel