PDA

View Full Version : GURPS ruleset and FGU

Jaxilon
November 9th, 2019, 19:39
I've been waiting for someone else to start a thread for issues using the GURPS ruleset but it seems I'm first so I'll go ahead.

While some of these issues may apply to FGU there is a good chance much of them are specific to our ruleset so keep that in mind if you are reading this and are NOT a GURPS user.

NOTE: you will need to be able to modify the files in GURPS.pak. This file can be found at <yourusernamehere>\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\rulesets:

a. Rename GURPS.pak to GURPS.zip
b. Extract the ruleset to the "Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\rulesets" directory.
you will now have a GURPS folder in the Fantasy Grounds>rulesets directory and are ready to make changes as needed.

So things I've found...

XML comment issues
First of all when loading GURPS I had some xml format issues regarding comments. If you suffer the same listen to what Moon Wizard says:

The issue is that some older extensions and rulesets have comments encoded like this:

<!--
-- This is a comment
-->
According to the built-in parser for .Net which is used by FG (since it's built-in and we don't have to maintain) and which is a little stricter on enforcing valid XML, a "--" set of characters is not allowed within comments.

So it should be:

<!--
This is a comment
-->

Once you make that change, that error will go away.

Regards,
JPG
Basically change the comment to get rid of the '--' stuff it's complaining about.

FONT issues
Next I experienced a font issue warning in the console that does not stop things from loading but shouldn't be there.

[11/9/2019 1:03:05 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[11/9/2019 1:03:09 PM] [NOTICE] Spawning private server.
[11/9/2019 1:03:11 PM] [NOTICE] Connected to game server.
[11/9/2019 1:03:11 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
[11/9/2019 1:03:11 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.
[11/9/2019 1:03:19 PM] [WARNING] font: Could not find TTF tag for asset (sheetnumberlarge) in ruleset (GURPS) (graphics/graphics_fonts.xml)
[11/9/2019 1:03:19 PM] [WARNING] font: Could not find TTF tag for asset (sheetnumbersmall) in ruleset (GURPS) (graphics/graphics_fonts.xml)
[11/9/2019 1:03:19 PM] [WARNING] font: Could not find TTF tag for asset (sheetlabelsmall) in ruleset (GURPS) (graphics/graphics_fonts.xml)

How I fixed it:
1) Copy the "Open_Sans" folder from the CoreRPG.pak to the GURPS ruleset (you have to rename to .zip to do this).

Go to your installation directory = <yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy_Grounds\rulese ts.
Rename CoreRPG.pak as a .zip file.
Browse into the CoreRPG.zip file to the '\CoreRPG\graphics\fonts' folder
copy the folder named "Open_Sans"
go to <yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy_Grounds\rulese ts\GURPS\graphics\fonts
Paste the copied "Open_Sans" folder to here.
Remember to rename CoreRPG.zip back to CoreRPG.pak

2) Modify the GURPS graphics_fonts.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root>

<!-- Number fields -->
<font name="sheetnumberlarge">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/bold-14.fgf" />
<color value="#000000" />
</font>

<font name="sheetnumbersmall">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/regular-8.fgf" />
</font>

<font name="sheetlabelsmall">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/bold-8.fgf" />
</font>

</root>

TO (changes highlighted in red):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root>

<!-- Number fields -->
<font name="sheetnumberlarge">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/bold-14.fgf" />
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Bold.ttf" name="Open Sans Bold" size="16" />
</font>

<font name="sheetnumbersmall">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/regular-8.fgf" />
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Regular.ttf" name="Open Sans" size="12" />
</font>

<font name="sheetlabelsmall">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/bold-8.fgf" />
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Regular.ttf" name="Open Sans" size="12" />
</font>

</root>

After that I seem to be loading up just fine. I'm not play testing anything yet but I've got the drag & drop items working and roles seem to be functioning as expected.
I might also note, it does not seem correct that I needed to copy the Open_Sans folder to the GURPS rules so there may be a better solution to that. I'm just forging ahead and if it works for now I'm fine with it.

I'll update this thread as and if I find anything else but feel free to post and/or ask stuff regarding GURPS here if you like or just make another thread. Hopefully someone will see it in the midst of all the other threads.

Anyhow, I hope this helps someone else.

Best regards!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 9th, 2019, 21:11
I only had problems with the New Aster font of the GURPSCore theme extension, FGU doesn't recognize font with the otf extension, and in the March & Training part, but this problem is from CoreRPG.
Here is a screenshot of GURPS on Fantasy Grounds Unity.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 10th, 2019, 18:09
I know these are silly things that I do with extensions, but these are things I like to do, such as adding the GURPS logo to the rules description chat, adding silver icons to the extensions I created, changing the date and time icons, allow the calendar to be 24 hours instead of AM / PM, change the GM portrait and I will still try to use the New Aster font which is the Gurps Core theme font.
Change position and remove unused data, change the position of the Modifier and where the dice tower comes from when activated.
There are things that have errors and I don't know how to solve, such as the gait and formation and the wrong calculation when choosing hexagon as the grid. I still have some details to do, such as changing the font color from black to white in some places, but over time I fix it.

seycyrus
November 10th, 2019, 21:41
... still try to use the New Aster font which is the Gurps Core theme font.

Yako, I am not sure where this is a problem? I have the GurpsCore loaded up, and do not see any reference to "New Aster" font.

Change position and remove unused data, change the position of the Modifier and where the dice tower comes from when activated.
There are things that have errors and I don't know how to solve, such as the gait and formation and the wrong calculation when choosing hexagon as the grid. I still have some details to do, such as changing the font color from black to white in some places, but over time I fix it.

I think that we will have to wait for the major bugs with FGU to be worked out before any focus turns towards smaller issues. But this thread is a good place to list those issues.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 11th, 2019, 00:37
I have no error message, I just can't make the font load.
And how much where I said data position is dice position.
And the change was just aesthetic and not functional

seycyrus
November 11th, 2019, 02:44
Good evening!

Jaxillon and Yako (and anyone else that wants to chime in) ... Do either of you use Delux Oz's sound extension?

It seemed to become somewhat incompatible with the Gurps ruleset within the last two years. Activating the sound icon in library > modules gives an icon on the right side of the FGU (and FGC before that) named "Sound", which should have a few tabs with quite a bit of functionality associated with them. But now (under both FGU and FGC) it's just a dead window.

Strangely enough, the sounds that I had set up quite some time ago still function perfectly, even though i cannot add any more.

Does anyone have any idea what the conflict might be?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 11th, 2019, 03:43
Now that I have commented I decided to move my extensions (crazy things in my head that I do to "learn") I saw that everything that was perfect now no longer works, but then when I'm more willing I will dig until tired and readjust, of course my interest is to do that when I get some update from GURPS and even more to FGU, not that I don't like FGC anymore, but I really want to see something I like that is GURPS in this new world of possibilities called FGU.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 11th, 2019, 04:14
Seycyrus, I know this is a mess, but I think when you say dead window is because nothing appears in them, as I decided to download the new versions of Dulux extensions, I inserted GURPS and here it appeared, the only thing I need to do now is I remember how I had to insert the core theme into this extension. And I wonder why GURPS has left the rule set list supported by the Dulux extensions.

Ah! This is in FGC, in FGU I don't know why it doesn't work yet, but I believe we will soon have DOE versions for FGU

Jaxilon
November 11th, 2019, 13:23
Good evening!
Jaxillon and Yako (and anyone else that wants to chime in) ... Do either of you use Delux Oz's sound extension?

I do not. I figure trying to do something additional while testing FGU is semi-suicidal :D.
I mean if everything else works then why not, but I'm happy to just get the GURPS core working and make sure the drag & drop stuff I worked on functions until ronnke has a chance to release it.
Also, since I moved away from my home town and the friends I play with I haven't ran a game from a distance. Back home we all played at the same table so I didn't need a sounds thingy that worked thru FG.

I haven't been able to put much time in lately since I've got several other projects going on at the same time including having just moved into a new house that still needs finish work.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 11th, 2019, 14:03
Truth.
I agree with Jaxilon It is easier to invest efforts in FGC than FGU at the moment and I know you would love to see and have all those items listed on the GURPS Rule Set list working.

TheMookNet
March 14th, 2020, 15:37
I'm assuming this is the best place for FGU and GURPS Ruleset feedback?

Atm, I've only had a little time to toy around with RC6 of the Ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36043-GURPS-4E-Core-Ruleset&p=480376&viewfull=1#post480376) but it seems solid and I'm looking forward to FGU even more! The latest Tables (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36043-GURPS-4E-Core-Ruleset&p=341419&viewfull=1#post341419) are so far working fine, as does a Modifiers file (I couldn't find a posted link for). Lookin' good!

The current GURPSCore theme extension still mostly works too -- it generates a few image/font error messages on loading, but still functions. The only minor thing is that the right sidebar icons for both Abilities and Traits still default to the 5E shield banners instead of the more modern-looking GURPS squares, but that makes sense since they were just added.

Speaking of, I really love the new Abilities and Traits windows! Will be great for personal campaigns, but the wider community? It's dishearteningly daunting. Just as proof of concept I thought I'd add the first 4-5 skills from the Basic Set. First one, Accounting. Type the name, can't tab/arrow the Type field so have to mouse it, not sure what subtype is yet, add page number, can't tab/arrow the Skill Type field either, back to mouse again, then type in defaults, then copy and paste the skill description from the Characters PDF into the field. It's a double-spaced mess, have to paste it into Notepad++, run a search and replace on \r\n, copy again and paste into the field. Add a line break between the description and modifiers texts, then add the three modifiers mentioned in the text as actual mechanical modifier fields. Okay, that's one skill down! Lol.

My point not to disparage the ruleset in any way, it's brilliant! I'm noting that it's beautiful for a handful of characters and "building up the library" as you go along and make more and more N/PCs, but hammering out the entire Skill list? And all the Ads/Disads? No way would I do that (or even need to) for my own groups. If SJG offered it for sale? In a hummingbird's heartbeat. Even if I was sure it could be permissibly shared with the entire community, I'd at least do as much as I could but there's just no incentive without knowing if it would be blocked or wasted effort supplanted by a later official offering.

Haven't had a chance yet to try importing a GCA and a GCS character, so it's possible one could cobble together some kind of uber-character in GCA with every Ability and Trait, import into FGU, and everything would just magically populate, but that sounds way too easy to be true. :D

Also need to add the drag and drop Mod Maker (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51192-FG-GURPS-Mod-Maker-for-drag-n-drop-items) before I start digging into inventories and equipment. So much to do! Can't wait.

How's everyone else finding things?

Jaxilon
March 19th, 2020, 14:19
I think some of what you mention here is specific to the gurps ruleset and not so much FGU. Most of the items you mention also occur in FGC. This has a lot to do with our ruleset.
I can probably add some of these items to the GURPS Mod MAKER when I have time but we have to think about what is permissible by SJG as we desire their well wishes in everything we do here.

I think your post might gain more traction in the main gurps pool of threads since this one should be specific to FGU. That said, I've seen it so my wheels are turning for whatever that's worth. ��

ronnke
March 19th, 2020, 15:57
I'm assuming this is the best place for FGU and GURPS Ruleset feedback?

The main Ruleset thread is probably the best place to discuss these things. At least the people likely to see it and respond will be greater as this forum is mainly for FGU specific stuff.

Tarks
March 26th, 2020, 23:33
I don't know if this is the right place to post this as it's not directly helpful but I want it on record that the GURPS ruleset for Fantasy Grounds is amazing and the only reason picking up FGU would be an option for me is if this glorious ruleset works inside it :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 27th, 2020, 00:49
It works and well, the only thing I noticed that doesn’t work is to be able to put hexagons as a grid on the party sheet, the units of measurement and the distance modifiers on the battle and movement maps on the grid with the arrows or numeric keypad, of the rest, updates and the Core theme works perfectly at FGU.

ronnke
March 27th, 2020, 00:56
I don't know if this is the right place to post this as it's not directly helpful but I want it on record that the GURPS ruleset for Fantasy Grounds is amazing and the only reason picking up FGU would be an option for me is if this glorious ruleset works inside it :)

Yes, the GURPS ruleset does work within FGU. If any issues with the rulset are found, they will be fixed. There are still some stability issues with FGU itself, but they should largely be fixed by the time the software comes out of open beta. FGU will be very good for GURPS gaming. :)

pindercarl
March 27th, 2020, 15:08
It works and well, the only thing I noticed that doesn’t work is to be able to put hexagons as a grid on the party sheet, the units of measurement and the distance modifiers on the battle and movement maps on the grid with the arrows or numeric keypad, of the rest, updates and the Core theme works perfectly at FGU.

I've added issue FGU-1003 to track not being able to set grid type on party sheet.

ksa1
May 16th, 2020, 19:28
GURPS in FGU would be so great! *thumbs up* ...already waiting for the first stable release of FGU :)

Honken
May 16th, 2020, 23:12
Well, from what i know, GURPS works with FGU. I have played it a couple of times, a couple of updates ago...

/H