PDA

View Full Version : Special chars

ivell
November 9th, 2019, 18:49
Will FGU support UTF-8 and special chars finally? For currently official FG I have to use mod that allows use of Polish (in my case) letters. Since it's almost 2020 it would be nice to finally have UTF-8 and all chars in the chat box.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2019, 02:44
Not initially as the rulesets and DLC will have to be verified compliant with the new character set(s).

Fionor
November 11th, 2019, 15:27
I don't understand why.
Standard English characters won't change - it only offers broader spectrum and better acessibility for non-English users (especially when managing Story entries and Chat-box text during game). Nobody wants any rulesets or official modules to be translated or reworked. Just make special characters (like ě, ť, í or ž) aviable to be used in game.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2019, 15:52
I don't understand why.
It's a case of working through hundreds off issues/requests and prioritising. As these characters weren't officially supported in FG Classic, they won't immediately be implemented in FG Unity.

Valarian
November 11th, 2019, 17:21
It's a case of working through hundreds off issues/requests and prioritising. As these characters weren't officially supported in FG Classic, they won't immediately be implemented in FG Unity.
There are certain diacritics that were supported in FG Classic that don't seem to be supported in the Unity character set, or Unity is more picky about their display and throws an error instead. Examples are ©, ®, é, á

Moon Wizard
November 12th, 2019, 17:57
We're looking at the overall language issues as a whole. Under the covers, FGU is implemented using UTF-8 strings, but that does not mean that every system also supports that (fonts, networking, Lua; which are all third party engines). We're going to be looking to enhance the fonts to allow more characters, but it's a lower priority item at this point.

Regards,
JPG

MarianDz
December 31st, 2019, 11:09
Dear SmiteWorks,
thank you for including codepage for my language into FGU.
I tested it now (now I can use speciall characters) and it work well, no more any extension needed. :)

Sincerely yours MarianDz.