PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Talented developers to bring zweihänder to fantasy grounds

kerrigaj
November 9th, 2019, 09:43
I am putting together a small team of volunteers to create a Zweihänder ruleset in Fantasy Grounds.

We have a lead developer already, but need more talented individuals to help realize the vision. Programmers, artists and content producers are all needed.

The team at Grim & Perilous is currently overseeing a project to do the same for Roll20, but doesn't have the bandwidth for FG. The inventor of Zweihänder is a really approachable guy. He has no objection to the project, just can't support the technical side. He did offer to provide the content that will be available on Roll20.

Please PM me if you have the necessary skills and want to help expand Zweihänder to FG.

Thanks for considering the request, John

Azostar
November 9th, 2019, 13:54
I assume that the ruleset would then be freely available on Fantasy Grounds?

What about the content that follows after, supplements, core rulebook and adventures?

kerrigaj
November 9th, 2019, 14:03
I assume that the ruleset would then be freely available on Fantasy Grounds?

What about the content that follows after, modules, core rulebook and adventures?

I would like to provide the ruleset as a free product. If I'm unable to recruit sufficient developers to volunteer, an incentive may be needed. Not planned for this and would need endorsement by Grim & Perilous. As for module content, anything copyrighted would need to be sanctioned by the owners, and I would assume would be paid content. Note that I am not an employee or associated with Zweihänder, just a motivated gamer who wants to play it on FG. I have permission to replicate their planned Roll20 content in FG at the moment.

Azostar
November 9th, 2019, 14:32
I would like to provide the ruleset as a free product. If I'm unable to recruit sufficient developers to volunteer, an incentive may be needed. Not planned for this and would need endorsement by Grim & Perilous. As for module content, anything copyrighted would need to be sanctioned by the owners, and I would assume would be paid content. Note that I am not an employee or associated with Zweihänder, just a motivated gamer who wants to play it on FG. I have permission to replicate their planned Roll20 content in FG at the moment.

Honestly asking people to volunteer for a project like this is pretty short sighted, what you'll be doing is laying the foundations for G&P to profit from without being compensated for the time spent helping to bring their IP to a new platform (if you're not actually affiliated with G&P). The community will have to put in the same work G&P are paying for (Roll20) and get nothing from it. What you're currently asking for here is free labour that G&P can profit from.

Unless the content is either freely available as a community project or the members working on this are compensated I really don't see anyone stepping forward.

kerrigaj
November 9th, 2019, 14:50
Thanks for your viewpoint. I'm not looking for financial compensation, and hope to find a few folks who value the availability of the ruleset on FG above financial remuneration - I understand that this isn't for everyone.

G&P has no plans to produce a FG ruleset, so this is the simplest way of getting it done so the community can enjoy the game on FG. Personally, I am OK for G&P to benefit from this financially if it also means we get to play the system on FG. If it gets off the ground I may be able to ask for free access to future content for the FG ruleset support team who provided time and skill, but can't commit to that now. Obviously, my hopes may prove to be wildly optimistic! ��

deer_buster
November 12th, 2019, 05:56
Honestly asking people to volunteer for a project like this is pretty short sighted, what you'll be doing is laying the foundations for G&P to profit from without being compensated for the time spent helping to bring their IP to a new platform (if you're not actually affiliated with G&P). The community will have to put in the same work G&P are paying for (Roll20) and get nothing from it. What you're currently asking for here is free labour that G&P can profit from.

Unless the content is either freely available as a community project or the members working on this are compensated I really don't see anyone stepping forward.

Actually, the more rulesets there are, the more we ALL benefit. A lot of them start out as labors of love...and once they grow in maturity and popularity they get noticed a path towards content creation/sale becomes more likely, allowing the developers that create the mods from the IP to make some money for their efforts. Those are often the same people that are the most active in the ruleset space.

So, in my humble opinion, your view is slightly short sighted :D

kerrigaj
November 14th, 2019, 12:39
For those of you following this thread, I wanted to provide a brief update.

The lead developer planning to support the development has recently broken his ankle, so we are delayed. We wish him well. On a more positive note, it seems that DORCore by dulux-oz can handle exploding dice required of the ruleset.

faun
November 28th, 2019, 18:19
... a brief update
Hi Kerriga, I saw your note on the G&P discord. I'm not a developer, in fact I just now installed the ultimate FG package in hopes of being able to create something on here for Zweihander. Have you made any progress with a character sheet or a list of things needed to ref the game, such as how to install roller, card decks, or any compendium content that I can use?
Thanks!

kerrigaj
November 28th, 2019, 18:27
Nothing yet. The developer is finishing up another project first. MoreCore and DORCore both allow exploding dice, however.

Pelti
April 20th, 2020, 20:04
Any updates yet?

kerrigaj
April 20th, 2020, 21:34
Any updates yet?

Unfortunately not.

This is the update I posted on the Zweihander Discord Channel on 31 March:

The project is currently on hold during the COVID-19 crisis. The developer is not available at the moment and I recently set up an initiative to provide simple digital tools and templates for households to help bridge the gap between COVID-19 policy guidelines and behaviors to keep families and loved ones safe (https://www.coronavirus-toolkit.com/).

Armstrong2020
November 15th, 2020, 23:31
I came across Zweihander and I must say, I'd like to add this to my FGU. Send me a message of progress and what skills your looking for in your volunteer effort.

kerrigaj
November 18th, 2020, 20:39
Thanks for the inquiry. I have been unable to find any developers willing to provide time to help develop the ruleset. If you have a lot of time, skill and energy to lead the ruleset development, let me know!

Eored
November 18th, 2020, 22:15
Is this dead?

iiivsion
November 18th, 2020, 22:41
Hi, I was working on some extensions lately (1st and 2nd Edition Warhammer extensions [building on the corresponding rulesets] and 7th Sea Morecore and testing a new-in-development Warhammer 4th ed MoreCore Ext). As far as my memory goes Zweihander is some kind of Warhammer-alike ruleset with similar mechanics (D100, Attribute+Skill and careerbased)?
If the ruleset itself (that means character sheet and game mechanics) can be worked on under a free and public licence, you may kindly ask any of the other ruleset owners if you may build upon their work (which may or may not give you a good starting base). To me there is nothing wrong if the content right holder is then charging money for his IP, bringing Items/Skills/Spellists/Adventures as modules. On the other hand the GMs and players still are free to create their own content (e.g. write own adventures). You may never forget, apart from some few rolesets, RPGing is not a gold mine. Never was, never will be. So please respect one anothers work and different views and tollerate Intellectual Property from people doing it for a living as well as the work of enthusiasts doing it as their hobby.

You can find the different rulesets here:
1st Edition Warhammer - sadly, really cool, but I fear Code basis is too old to use (builds upon 3.5E)
2nd Edition Warhammer - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34764-Warhammer-Fantasy-RPG-2-ed by Paul Pratt, a very polished ruleset covering A LOT of rule variants and automation, building upon CoreRules, really great, but perhaps also too complex to build upon if you won't need the automation or it does not match
MoreCore - Contact Damned about it, a really great extension, I was able to use MoreCore with one slight modification extension to master 7th sea out of the box with all exploding rolls possible
4th Ed Warhammer - Build upon MoreCore, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56305-Warhammer-Fantasy-RPG-4-ed by Wyrd and ShakyLuigi, still in development. Building an extension with custom character sheet upon morecore. Perhaps one could unite some efforts to build some dice and roll automatics together

All the mentioned are FGU-compatible as far as I know.