PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to attach LOS to "floor assets"?

Henrique Oliveira Machado
November 8th, 2019, 12:41
As title says, can i attach LOS to assets so everytime i put them, the line of sight comes with it to the map?

ddavison
November 8th, 2019, 17:23
Yes, but it is currently done with an external tool. The tiles from Shockbolt's GMW Kit 1 should already be preset - as an example.

Check this if you haven't already:
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/918264/Creating+Maps+with+Tiles

mattekure
November 8th, 2019, 17:26
Thats awesome. Will that tool be released at some point or the functionality rolled into FGU?

ddavison
November 8th, 2019, 17:29
We will probably install it and place it in a tools directory or possibly make it available for download here.

The short gist is to do this:
1. Start a new clean campaign just for this purpose
2. Drag an asset over to the images & maps window so it will create a new image record
3. Don't resize anything, move it or anything like that
4. Define the LOS for the asset

This will create entries in the campaign's db.xml file that includes all the data we need. We then run a program that reads from that xml file and extracts the LOS data for each individual image. Those are named to match and placed next to the image -- such as wall_stone_SE.jpg will have a file called wall_stone_SE.xml.

mattekure
November 8th, 2019, 17:33
That would be great. Looking forward to it. I know there are tileset developers who would love to get started on converting their stuff.

Risto
May 16th, 2021, 20:59
Looking at many of the wall tiles in Shockbolt / Torstan asset packs, the LoS lines are drawn nearly at the outer edge of the walls, leaving only a too thin slice for the PCs to see, or not even see at all. Some other maps by SW have LoS drawn "better", with a clear wall line visible before the LoS line blocks sight. Is this an oversight on some of the tiles or have they just not been updated with better LoS definitions as FG matured? Any insights?

Sample images attached

Zacchaeus
May 16th, 2021, 21:50
Line of sight is usually drawn in the inside of the wall. There is some 'bleed through' of vision - in other words tokens will see through a wall a small amount. So your images would be the correct method of drawing the LoS.

And welcome to FG.

Risto
May 17th, 2021, 06:45
At least based on the samples and my personal experiences, tokens don't really see enough that it would look like a proper wall ... which means the whole wall graphics are useless as they're not really seen. There's just a black block in it's place. A LoS line in the middle of the wall would be much nicer approach, everyone would see there's a wall and what it looks like.

Thanks!