PDA

View Full Version : Rappan Athuk Session 12 Open Game Sat Noon PST GMT-8

Griogre
November 13th, 2006, 22:57
Rappan Athuk is a con open gaming room style campaign. Object is just to “sit down” and have fun exploring a huge old style dungeon. This is a dungeon crawl with “pick up” characters and players. Different character every session? Fine. Can only commit to one session? Great.

I’m looking for 4-6 players a session. If you are free and just want to play some D&D this Saturday come join in the fun at the "granddaddy of all dungeons". The current character level is 5th.

Last week the group fought the "Second Battle on the Mausoleum Steps" and won but it was fight that easily could have gone either way and was not without casualties. They are looking for a few good adventurers to fill out the ranks and carry on the assault. If you think you are bold and brave enough you can sign up for the next session here (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35) and see what other characters are being run. If you are not a member of the forums at Four Ugly Monsters you will need to register to see the forums.

Zangeon
November 14th, 2006, 14:20
Hy ,

I'm relative new to this entire pnp stuff but i've already grasped the basics and i'm more than willling to learn.If you can stand a newbie I'd be more than glad to take part of your team.Just give me a PM or something.Good luck anyway

Pilsnerquest
November 14th, 2006, 14:40
Hey,

Griogre's campaign has been a blast and is really newbie friendly. Check things out over at https://www.fouruglymonsters.com

Look under campaigns.

Pilsnerquest

Zangeon
November 15th, 2006, 15:25
Well my friend the only problem is that griogre's campaing costs money,money wich i dont have.You americans would sell your own mother for a preatty penny.Barely got FG.How am i supposed to pay for all the tokens and suff ?In my opinion that kind of behavior ruins the game.Since when does imagination have to cost?If the bigshots at wizards of the cost tax a huge amount of money on some stupid pieces of plastic or some crappy campaing it dosen't mean it's good and you have to act like them.I tghout the internet revolutionized D&D and PnP in general.Inseat of lost cluster of pnp players all around the wolrd ,the internet united them in communites dedicating to expanding and enriching Pnp games.One of the fundamental pillars of those tipes of semiartistic communites is sharing.I want to share with you folks my wonderful cmpaing , character , story,gamplay ideeas but i can't because what you have here is not a DnD community , it's capitalism in action .Seeling yourself to the highest bidder.Instead of exchangeind ideeas you limit them to those that can be sold and those that cannot be sold.Shame!!This is not a community just another advertising scheme from the people that made it and people like griogre.Wake up people you're beeing used!Thank you for listening me.

Pilsnerquest
November 15th, 2006, 16:02
Hello again,

Griogre's Rappan Athuk campaign doesn't cost anything. Also, he makes your token from your character's FG portrait (for free even). As long as you have FG, and I think you mentioned you had it, your good to go. Oh, you do need "Teamspeak" to hear him (It's free too). We really don't use any add on's, (that aren't already free) and Griogre's maps are hand drawn (which he doesn't charge us to look at).

I can understand your frustration with the cost of many items associated with role-playing and D&D. The community here seems to really be interested in sharing campaigns, ideas, story and game play ideas especially using platforms that are free and how best to use them successfully.

It sounds like Griogre's campaign was exactly what you were looking for (when is was still a possibility for you to be involved).

Pilsnerquest

bobbyk
November 15th, 2006, 16:10
wow someone is bitter.

#1 Dungeon Masters put in 8+ hours of work a week so we can play their games, for FREE.

#2 Get a job.

Zangeon
November 15th, 2006, 19:34
1.Belive me i didn't meant any disrespect towards any DM, including griogre.And yes i am bitter how can i not be bitter when the average salary in my country is 150$ per month.You try living decent with 150$ a month and the come speaking ok?
2.I am willing to help the community in any way i can including 8+ hours for a campaing.
3.I do have job.
4.I doubt you'll be abble to survive two seconds in the hell i'm in.
5.You are right i may have been to bitter and i apolegize but there is also truth in what i said and you cannot deny that.
I'm not saying that i cannot pay or that i would not be willing to pay for the campaings, what i'm saying is that i cant pay money for it.I don't have it.Does that make me a retard or an unwanted man in your comunity?You decide.Thank you for your pacience so far.

Yenooc
November 15th, 2006, 20:15
This is supposed to be a board for gamers, not for those playing class and victim politics.

Not only are you (Zangeon) displaying an air of moral superiority because of your proclaimed poverty, but you make ignorant assumptions about those you are talking down to.

I've lived on less than $150 per month in a 10'x15' room heated by charcoal, eating rice supplemented by an occasional feast of Spam. But even if I were as rich as Bill Gates, your putdowns would not be justified.

If you can't stand the company of so-called capitalists--whichever way you define that term--perhaps it would be best to move on to a more amenable crowd. If you are the great campaigner you state yourself to be, we'll just have to cinch up our belts and make the sacrifice of losing you.

(And if this is a put-on, let us know. It still has no place (IMHO) on this board.)

VarnFury
November 15th, 2006, 20:39
Zangeon, there was really no reason for you to even post such things to begein with. Not only did you strike at Griogre but just at genrel people that are american. This makes nothing more then a Flame fest which shouldnt even be taking place.

Simply put, anything a DM uses in his campaign is pretty much free, all you do is download it off them. Only time money is spent is on the Books or if you choose to buy custom tookens off the net, oh and the program (FG) Itself. Beside that, it free (Well if ya dont count the time you spend of ya life into doing).

Zangeon
November 15th, 2006, 21:29
I deeply apoligize to the american people, in fact to all the people that i have offended.That was not my original intent.My original intent was to show a different perpective.One that perhaps many of you have not seen.That is all.I reconize now my error and i am sorry but try at least to understand a bitt my predicament.You can compare it to the desire to drink after a long treak in the desert.Imagine you have just found an oasis of sort and you try to drink from ice-cold sparkling water only to have your way barred at the last moment by a saign wich states " You have to pay this amount of money to drink " or something similar.It's veary frustrating.I am not asking for special treatment, and i am sorry if some of you have felt talked down to.Frankly i felt a was being adressed with an air of superiority to especially with the " get a job " sentence.I only want to rp and make this thing grow.that's all.And Yenooc try to imagine living that ( i mean with 150 a month and all that ) from the moment you were born till now?How would you act in my place ?Walk a mile in my shoes man that's all i ask .I ask forgivness again to all those i have ofended ( and for my grammar). By the way i think this discusion has gone to far so please for all of those who wish to make a commnent just send me a PM or something .I do not wish to stir the hornets more than they have been.thank you again for your pacience and understanding

Griogre
November 15th, 2006, 22:59
First, thank you to all my players for the support and understanding of the effort it takes to run a game.

Zangeon, there seems to have been a misunderstanding which I hope you have resolved. You apology sounded sincere and honest. Just to be clear though, it costs nothing to play in my campaign other than you need to have a copy of Fantasy Grounds. You need to download Teamspeak which is free voice software. You also need a set of working speakers and that's it. It would be helpful if you had the reference books but I don’t require them, you can use an online 3.5 revised SRD (and there are several very good ones) and, of course, the references in FG itself. If you need to know the starting gold or how to do average hit points – just ask and someone will tell you.

If you have all of that and you have made a fifth level character per the campaign rules you are welcomed to sign up for the game over at Four Ugly Monsters. Part of the confusion may have been FUM is a commercial site. It is true the Four Ugly Monster Site does sell maps, tokens and portraits. They give away some art for free also. No one has to buy anything from the site to get into my game, though. The owners of the site are gamers too, and they were kind enough to offer to host the forum where I keep the campaign.

bobbyk
November 16th, 2006, 01:36
And all that aside, we all have problems, maybe some worse than others, but never think you've had it worse than everyone else and demand them to walk in your shoes

We're here to play games together. I'm not saying nobody here cares, but this forum is not the place to expose the pain of our life stories, that's what family and friends and journals/blogs are for

Good luck finding a game,
-Bobby

Griogre
November 19th, 2006, 07:08
Aftermath

Albert rushed to the shrine, horribly aware he had overslept yet again. Maybe he wasn’t too late to join in with the four others on their push into Rappan Athuk. Alas, when he arrived it was to find then already gone. He tried to convince the shrine clerics to send him through after them, but they unhappily told him that only one group could go through at once and another could not enter while the prior ones time was not yet up. With nothing better to do, he whiled away the hours, smoking his pipe, wanting to be the first to greet them on their return.

The low circular table at the center of the shrine abruptly glowed for an instant with a bright blue-green light, the glow mirrored by the pillars surrounding the table and shrine. As the glow fades, a lone figure of a dwarf stands next to the table. Half healed bite marks are on one arm and also on his back. The dwarf Boros’ wizard robes are stained with blood in the back and down the arm. Fiercely he clutches an armful of weapons some so bloodstained they look like the have been dipped in a vat of blood, other weapons without a drop staining them. He wears one backpack and carries two other blood stained ones – all bulging with coins. He is so laden it looks like he cannot even move.

Albert drops his pipe and stands staring at Boros. “Where’re the others?!”
His face working with emotion, Boros turns to face Albert – and begins to cry. “This is all we have left of them…” His pupils dilated with shock, Boros continues “The heroic Bagaduce has fallen.”
Dumbfounded, Albert shakes his head. “You’re joking…?”
Boros takes a breath. “We defeated the mighty ogre we encountered before, but he laid waste to all as they defended me from his unstoppable rage.”
Albert sighs as he rubs his beard slowly. “Curse that place of hell…”
Boros, blinking his eyes, abruptly hands Albert a spiked chain so incrusted in blood the links run red between his fingers.
“Ehh?” says Albert.
Boros shakes his head. “This is all that is left of the dwaven fighter Kaleph who joined us just this morning before we entered. I do not think I can carry it with me into town. I feel dirty carrying these burdens, as it treasure earned in blood… This,” Boros taps a greatsword longer than he is tall, “is all that is left of the human rogue, Dillon, who also joined us this morning.”
Albert hesitates, searching for words, and says “Well… The treasure will better gear us for next time – and that place shall fall.”
Albert turns to face the low table and addresses the sole name in green, now italicized, “Rest in Peace, Bagaduce.”

Four Heroes: Bagaduce, Boros, Dillan and Kaleph walked into the shrine, placed their hands onto the table and vanished into Rappan Athuk. Four and one half hours later one would return leaving behind a room and corridor strewn with bodies and filled with silence.

The spontaneous exchange between Albert and Boros in the shrine on Boros’ return rather summarized this run. I edited, modified and added some the lines but tried to maintain the intent. The group pushed into Rappan Athuk, going for the large Ogre they had encountered several days ago which had killed a monk on that earlier run in two swings.

And so the PCs take down the first BBEG of the dungeon they have encountered, but not before the frenzied ogre took down three party members including the halfling with the most runs into the dungeon. That Ogre, by the end of the encounter had killed more PCs than all the rest of all the dungeon encounters so far.

This was, by far, the bloodiest run so far and until the wizard’s magic missile dropped the Ambros the Ogre in the final round it was not clear anyone was going to survive - one hit by the ogre on the already wounded wizard would have ended the fight in its favor. It was an intense fight and I hope fun for the players despite the character deaths. I look forward to seeing you all next week. [1,444 xp; 3,945 gp plus items.]