PDA

View Full Version : Wiseguys Modules Dev Diary

Mortar
November 3rd, 2019, 18:03
Alright yous guys,

Work on da Wiseguys modules is underway.

For now all screenshots are from the FG Classic client (for reasons), however I am doing all the development within the Unity client - and it looks WAY better in Unity!

Due to the different default font in the clients and their sizing there are some differences in the layout and appearance of the module in the clients.

As soon as I know its okay to I will be posting screen shots from within the Unity client.

Perry

Skellan
November 3rd, 2019, 18:23
Nice work!

I'll certainly be getting this

Mortar
November 28th, 2019, 15:36
Barring any other changes Eric spots, the Player's Companion is done, and I have done some work on a theme to include with the official modules. It took a week or so longer than I anticipated due to a potential separated shoulder.

The decal for the theme looks good in the screenshots but looks fuzzy and slightly distorted on the screen. Not happy with it, so that needs some work.

Pepor
November 28th, 2019, 15:52
Nice !!

Skellan
November 28th, 2019, 19:03
Well done sir, I like the theme!

I can't wait to run it.

Mortar
November 28th, 2019, 19:31
Thanks guys!

I need to do some more tinkering with the theme, besides the fuzziness of the decal there are a couple other things I want to adjust. The only frames that are changed right now is the chatbox and the combat tracker. When Aki gave the SWADE ruleseta new skin he thinned out the number of different frames that are used. Its a good thing, but I just can't replace all the frames in Wiseguys. Most of the frame definitions use the same base image.

The biggest trouble I am running into is resizing Karl Kessler's amazing art assets he created without comprising them.

Skellan
November 28th, 2019, 19:42
I trust your judgement. I don't think it needs too much - it already looks good. Perhaps Karl has a different file type for the art or something.

P.S hope your arm gets better.

P.P.S Don't forget, you can always type with your nose

Mortar
November 28th, 2019, 20:11
P.P.S Don't forget, you can always type with your nose

My nose is big enough I can use it to type :D

Ikael
November 28th, 2019, 22:03
You still have full capability to alter any frames you need. SWADE theme did not need to have that many different frames but nothing was removed in sense of customization. If you can pin point what you want to change, I can help defining what to do.

Mortar
November 28th, 2019, 22:44
You still have full capability to alter any frames you need. SWADE theme did not need to have that many different frames but nothing was removed in sense of customization. If you can pin point what you want to change, I can help defining what to do.

Not needed Aki, the only frame I want to mess with now is the imagebox. I need to talk to Karl though, the asset Eric wants me to check out is roughly 1000x4000 px and looks horrid at the 552x555 of the imagebox.

One thing I do want to examine more closely is using the cards for rollable tables.

Mortar
November 29th, 2019, 19:45
So the fuzziness of the decal is fixed...I chose the least preferable option of the assets that Eric sent me. :o

Mortar
November 30th, 2019, 03:18
Another update for the day.

Skellan
November 30th, 2019, 09:59
Looks snazzy good job!

Mortar
November 30th, 2019, 23:43
I sent the Player's Companion off to Eric for his review and feedback. One or two small changes to make to the module.

All things considered, work is proceeding pretty rapidly on the Don's Guide. I mentioned to Eric that I am going to separate the two Mob Tales out into their own little mini-modules, that way they don't need to opened up by the Don unless he wants to use them.

There is also going to be a metric butt load or two of NPCs.

Skellan
December 1st, 2019, 11:22
Fantastic!
Might the player's guide be out next week then?

Mortar
December 1st, 2019, 20:54
Unfortunately no, it will be released as a single package.

Also, what the hell are you doing up at 0330 hrs your time????? :p

zombielord
December 2nd, 2019, 02:52
Awesome! I was glad I kickstarted the book. It is really cool and I'm eagerly awaiting this for Fantasy Grounds. It looks great!

Skellan
December 2nd, 2019, 18:53
Unfortunately no, it will be released as a single package.

Also, what the hell are you doing up at 0330 hrs your time????? :p

Fair enough, it makes sense to release both as one package.

And I am way too old now to be up at 0330 haha. It was 11.22 am my time :)

Mortar
December 3rd, 2019, 00:24
I see that now, when I saw the time it was posted I subtracted the difference between us, instead of adding it to the time I saw... :o

Mortar
December 5th, 2019, 00:07
Update for Dec 4th.

I sent the revised Player's Companion back to Eric for a final review, and the first portion of the Don's Guide for him to take a look at as well.

In the last day or two, I have redone the entire "Crime Syndicates" section of Chapter Six. It is way too much information for a single reference manual page and looked awful because of the amount of text. I'll see what Eric thinks and I'll be bashing ahead.

Skellan
December 5th, 2019, 19:26
Thanks for the update. Sounds like it is coming together nicely - good work mate

Mortar
December 6th, 2019, 20:42
All the Chinese special characters are driving me nuts. Not quite sure what character set FGU is using yet...

Mortar
December 7th, 2019, 05:52
...And random thoughts waking me up in the middle of the night...

There was an update to FGU that expanded on the character set functionality. I didn't think anything of it until I was asleep. Almost all the trouble characters are now picked up, with a couple still putting up a fight.

Time to start generating the horde of NPCs!!

Skellan
December 8th, 2019, 08:01
Good stuff. There are a lot of cool npcs in this setting :)

Mortar
December 10th, 2019, 02:34
So the issue with the special characters has been reported in the play tests forums.

Got some input from Eric on the Person of Interest pages and the layout he looking was for. The answer is:

Each of those will open the NPC sheet for that particular person which will be the recommended stat blocks for the NPCs (as recommended in the book/PDF). On each NPC sheet will their little blurb, as well as a link to their image. Their token will appear on the NPC sheet as well.

Now we get into the most exciting part of today's update (haven't shown this Eric, so the final product may differ slightly) - The Street Gang Generator.

This is the layout for the reference manual page:

The very first link under the first paragraph will open a second reference manual page with the text versions of all those tables for those that prefer them. Text tables like those can get big and make the various pages really long, so I kept them off the Street Gang Generator page. They will also be available through the library index under "Text Tables Quick Reference"

I went and made all the tables within the street gang generator rollable, and they function as intended.

The Mob Tale Generator, and the "More Tables" are being done in the same way.

Skellan
December 10th, 2019, 19:32
I love how you are doing the generators - can't wait to generate some crazy mob tales.

I still look in horror at Romantic Comedy...

LooksLikeAJobFor
December 19th, 2019, 14:30
Looks like fun!

RunningWolf
December 26th, 2019, 01:41
way cool, love seeing stuff that isn't for a d20 system being developed.

I should not be reading the forums, I should be back at working on making a SW setting....

Mortar
January 16th, 2020, 01:34
Today's update must include a shout out to damned working on the chat box. Over 120 NPC entries done. Down to image clean up, making up Quick Reference page for the sidebars, and taking the NPC cards and creating a Wiseguys Adventure Deck out of them.

One issue that I know I will have this is on the Classic client...the Japanese/Chinese words and some of the characters contained in them. They are outside the ranges of the basic character set used by the Classic client, and don't display properly.

Mortar
February 22nd, 2020, 21:15
Alrighty...Eric has provided feedback for the modules that I forwarded to him. I'll get those few points fixed up and check back with him for final approval.

Mortar
February 22nd, 2020, 21:19
Oh and a quick note on the character issue for the Triad slang, I ended up using an image of that particular sidebar from the book.

Without creating a separate module for each client it was the only way to get all the characters to display properly in each client.

Not much I can do about that except for waiting for the Classic client to "disappear"

Skellan
February 23rd, 2020, 08:11
Fantastic!

Mortar
March 24th, 2020, 01:02
Final update here!

Eric has given me the go ahead to submit Wiseguys to SmiteWorks, and the email has been sent in. Once the all powerful Moon Wizard grants me access to the folder in SVN the modules will be uploaded. Then its the wait until the QA process is complete and the products get dropped into the store.

This took longer than expected, which is entirely on me. I was an idiot and separated a shoulder, and tore the hell of out muscles and connective tissue in that arm. Still hurts, and I still have days that my arm is useless. (Well, far more useless than it normally is!!!)

So what are you getting in this:

Player's Companion
Rat Pack Pregenerated Characters
Token Module
Portrait Module
Don's Guide
a separate module containing the Mobtales from the book
and finally, the Wiseguys Theme extension

Can't wait to hear stories of your Wiseguys' exploits Savages!!

Thanks once again Eric for allowing me the opportunity for me to do this adaptation!

Mask_of_winter
March 24th, 2020, 02:28
Perry did a great job on this. It's a big book and had its challenges.
With over 100 NPCs, your modern games will be more fun, folks!

Skellan
March 24th, 2020, 08:26
Good job fellas :)

Mortar
March 26th, 2020, 03:18
This was submitted to SmiteWorks this evening. So the wait for it to get QA'd!!

Mask_of_winter
May 6th, 2020, 02:46
Is it out, yet??

Mortar
May 19th, 2020, 21:29
It's Live!!!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=JIIFGSWWISE

Mask_of_winter
May 20th, 2020, 01:16
It's the perfect companion to any modern campaign with over 100 NPCs ready to use!

gamemasterbob
May 22nd, 2020, 21:31
Hello gamers
I am very excited about FG supporting Wiseguys! Nice job to all the creators. but...I have what may be a problem...
Some table are show up as blank. All the tables in the Mob Tale Generator and most of the tables in the Street gang generator. Funny, but when I roll on the master table in Mob Tale Gen I do get some data. Not all. I would like to use the table on their own. I have a jpg of all the empty tables from the Mob Tale Gen.

Mortar
May 22nd, 2020, 21:49
Thanks for the head's up on this. Looking into this now!

Mortar
May 22nd, 2020, 22:41
Found the issue. Not sure how or why, but all the tables with no visible data are missing two lines each from their XML :o Fixing now, but as it is after the deadline we have for updates it might not make it to Tuesday's (May 26th), so it may not appear until the 2nd of June.

gamemasterbob
May 22nd, 2020, 23:14
Glad you found the glitch...

gamemasterbob
May 22nd, 2020, 23:15
WHAT!! ..... June 2nd! .... oh..OK. I guess I can make it till then. THANKS Mortar. Love that Wiseguys is FG! I bought the whole collection of core: The FG module, the PDF and the HC book.