PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Memory Use

poppy_thompson
November 2nd, 2019, 03:07
This is something I have seen when I opened task manager to shut FGU down when it is Not Respondin. Which has been happening a high percentage of the time I have tried to open a campaign (FGU campaign or FGC campaign).

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2019, 04:55
Known and reported, thanks.

mdrichey
November 2nd, 2019, 19:34

I am experiencing the same issue. FGU is taking up 9.5 GB of my system's memory and is virtually unusable. I don't see it on the known issues list (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50483-FGU-Playtest-Known-Items).

notrealdan
November 2nd, 2019, 22:21
It (surprisingly) hasn’t been given a bug number yet, but it’s been acknowledged on several threads and they’ve said addressing that is a high priority. It could be that there are several causes and they need time to investigate. I’m sure they’ll have it worked out soon.

poppy_thompson
November 3rd, 2019, 01:04

Thanks LordEntrails. (I needed to say this.)

LordEntrails
November 3rd, 2019, 04:22
Sure:)
As notrealdan said, I also haven't seen this given a number yet, but Moon and Doug are aware.

Topdecker
November 3rd, 2019, 14:05
A bit more on this...

I copied over a campaign and loaded FGU with no real issues. I had failed to move some of my custom MOD files (almost all maps), so shut-down FGU, copied over the campaign again (to get the links back), and then copied over the MOD files.

Upon launching the campaign in FGU, it now took a long time to load. Memory was maxed out, disk access was happening, and in general FGU wasn't being nice. Here is the log:

[11/3/2019 7:26:30 AM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[11/3/2019 7:26:52 AM] [NOTICE] Requesting cloud server.
[11/3/2019 7:26:58 AM] [NOTICE] Connected to game server.
[11/3/2019 7:26:58 AM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
[11/3/2019 7:26:59 AM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.
[11/3/2019 7:27:32 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Process Data File (Big Book of Maps - Fantasy): An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 700, position 30.
[11/3/2019 7:27:33 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic: Unable to load file (102 - The Farmer’s Mystery-color-decor.jpg) (modules/Elven_Tower_Maps.mod)
[11/3/2019 7:29:56 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic: Unable to load file (Map 50 – Denner Town Player.jpg) (modules/Elven_Tower_Maps.mod)
[11/3/2019 7:30:18 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic: Unable to load file (047 – Raven Town DM.jpg) (modules/Elven_Tower_Maps.mod)
[11/3/2019 7:30:18 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic: Unable to load file (047 – Raven Town Player.jpg) (modules/Elven_Tower_Maps.mod)
[11/3/2019 7:30:18 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic: Unable to load file (048 – Bridge Hamlet.jpg) (modules/Elven_Tower_Maps.mod)
[11/3/2019 7:30:18 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic: Unable to load file (050 – Denner Town DM.jpg) (modules/Elven_Tower_Maps.mod)

So, it appears that FGU goes through all of your resources and makes sure it can load every file every time - and flogs both the memory and CPU to do this. It is probably so low on memory that it flags things as failed that might otherwise be fine - I don't know but it seemed to run into problems in a sequence which seems unlikely.

EDIT: After all of this has finished, a lot of memory becomes available again - about 6gb in use rather than the full 16gb.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2019, 14:52
Just how big are these map modules? Also Unity doesn't like Files in CMYK format so that may possibly be an issue. I can't see anything particularly wrong with the map or module names.

Topdecker
November 3rd, 2019, 17:12
They are big. One map MOD is like 1.1gb and another is over 2gb in size. I am not trying to use all the maps at once - they are just resource files where a handful of maps might actually be referenced. I don't know a bunch about the how they were encoded except to say that I am pretty sure that they are all jpgs except for the modules with tokens where transparency (and thus PNG files) are needed.

I guess that I can understand opening and testing resources at the moment, but it makes load-up times rather lengthy.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2019, 17:48
Well as you can see from the Unity screen all of your images, portraits and tokens are shown in the new assets folder. So when FG starts up it (presumably) hunts around for these in all of your available modules and makes a thumbnail of them. They don't take up memory until you use them but loading all that gigabytes of stuff will inevitably take time.

I'm pretty surprised that you were able to open a compressed (I assume they were compressed if they were in a module) file in FGC that was 2Gb since uncompressed that must have exceeded the 3Gb limit that FGC has.

mdrichey
November 9th, 2019, 22:07
Sure:)
As notrealdan said, I also haven't seen this given a number yet, but Moon and Doug are aware.

Still an issue, still not on open issues list.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2019, 02:51
Still an issue, still not on open issues list.
Yep. Not sure why it hasn't been given a tracking number, but Moon and Doug have mentioned it several times. Also, be aware they have stated that first priority is stability, second is broken/missing functionality, third is performance. This falls in the performance category, so that might be why no tracking number yet.

notrealdan
November 10th, 2019, 03:51
Yep. Not sure why it hasn't been given a tracking number, but Moon and Doug have mentioned it several times. Also, be aware they have stated that first priority is stability, second is broken/missing functionality, third is performance. This falls in the performance category, so that might be why no tracking number yet.

I think it's arguable that the memory usage issue falls in the stability category, since it's to blame for many of the crashes people are getting. Doug also stated that they're giving it high priority here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51682-crashing-issue&p=459403&viewfull=1#post459403).

mdrichey
November 10th, 2019, 18:39

This falls into the stability category. FGU is unusable for me at present. I will keep bumping this periodically, until I see it show up on the known issues list.

mdrichey
November 10th, 2019, 18:41
I think it's arguable that the memory usage issue falls in the stability category, since it's to blame for many of the crashes people are getting. Doug also stated that they're giving it high priority here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51682-crashing-issue&p=459403&viewfull=1#post459403).

Thanks for the link!

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2019, 23:43
It doesn't have a tracking number; because there's no one issue that we can point at to address as a task (which is what the issue/task numbers are for). The latest build does including some load time and memory improvements for module loading, but we're aware that there is more to be done.

Regards,
JPG

poppy_thompson
November 17th, 2019, 16:06
It seems the memory issues are resolved. For me, anyway. I'll start a more comprehensive evaluation!