PDA

View Full Version : [REQUEST] LOS Movement Blockers

Allmight
November 1st, 2019, 13:57
I am currently working on Citatel Altaerin for PFRPG2 Hellknight Hill module.

That keep have alot of arrowslits/windows to the outside. Problem is, players can walk through those as if they were normal openings, even though they are very narrow.

What i would like to see is some kind of blocker that impedes movement, but you can see through.

dellanx
November 1st, 2019, 17:48
The green has to be Closed

Allmight
November 1st, 2019, 17:50
I know that, but green is not see through unless you stand IN it. I was more aiming something that blocks movement but has no inpact on vision whatsoever.

Besides, green does not block movement when closed, just the vision through it. At least that is the experience i had.

LordEntrails
November 1st, 2019, 18:22
I suspect the wishlist is still the place to request future enhanements. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
Please just leave any FGU details out of ideas posted there.

Guoccamole
November 5th, 2019, 22:57
I know that, but green is not see through unless you stand IN it. I was more aiming something that blocks movement but has no inpact on vision whatsoever.

+100

Kelrugem
November 6th, 2019, 00:28

Besides, green does not block movement when closed, just the vision through it. At least that is the experience i had.

I saw this request now sometimes but is there really that much advantage in blocking movement? Blocking of vision is useful because then I do not have to clear the fog anymore but I do not see the gain in blocking movement. Of course, a nice quality of life feature, putting some invisible wall there and the players suddenly wondering why their movement does not work (though they might think first: it's a bug :D), but except that? I mean, you would need to write extra codes for that which needs some time and then you have to maintain this code, too, while on the other side it is extremely easy to handle that manually with not really more effort than normal (the DM will still describe rooms and then e.g. says "There is a gate, you can look through it but it's blocking you from going further" and then it is clear for everyone that one can not move through it) :) The blocking of movement in walls is a good "security" system in sense of that the players do not suddenly see other things because they accidentally moved through the wall (which can not happen then), this may be some useful thing about blocking movement. But you're asking especially for something which blocks movement but not vision, so one already looked through it and so there is no problem in such accidents except when they completely move through it (and I do not think that such accidents will often happen, especially not for arrow slits and so on)

Moreover, this would not only need coding of just a wall through which you can look through but you then also need to add a handle which "opens" that thing because there will be always somewhere some player who has an ability to go through this. Do you know what I mean? Such blocking of movements is easy to handle manually while their coding may need much time and I wonder if it's worth then. But, is of course nice to have :) I am just curious if I miss some crucial point about that which is very useful ingame :)

Allmight
November 6th, 2019, 10:49
Not that hard really. Just take a door that already has all the functionality you mentioned they would have to write code for, and then remove the LOS blocking part. Thats actually alot easier than you would let on :)

Can't hurt to ask for it. Then it's up to smiteworks if they want to add that extra tool in the LOS toolbox or not. :)

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2019, 11:03
Just as a point of interest; if you also use the global mask that too prevents movement. So if you only unmask up to the far side of the arrow slit the token won't be able to pass through it but still see the arrow slit.

Kelrugem
November 6th, 2019, 15:07
Just as a point of interest; if you also use the global mask that too prevents movement. So if you only unmask up to the far side of the arrow slit the token won't be able to pass through it but still see the arrow slit.

ah that is good to know :) thanks :)

@Allmight, there was another thread here about the same and Carl (from Smiteworks) answered there. He explained that it is indeed more complicated to do such a thing than one might expect as a user :) I do not know the code but it seems by Carl's answer that it is not that easy and not just removing the LoS from the existing door :) But, who knows what comes next :D