PDA

View Full Version : Cloud or Local host

Devistation
October 31st, 2019, 18:38
So I play with all of my group in the same room so I have always used local hosting but I'm wondering what would be faster with FGU the local or cloud hosting? I have I fiber internet connection that can handle a lot of traffic so I don't think that will be a barrier with everyone using the cloud. Just curious of the community thoughts on what would be better.

Thank you all in advance.

Allmight
October 31st, 2019, 18:47
If you play with your friends under the same roof, then it's a no brainer, local is the way to go. Only time you could use cloud is if someone is playing from a distance, but even then local is my prefered way to go with a port map in router. Only time i would go with cloud is if i am running an open game where players could drop in. But for closed groups, i personally would go private all the time.

Just my 2 cents.

LordEntrails
November 1st, 2019, 03:53
local vs cloud is about connection brokering. You host computer is still the server. imo, if you don't need to go outside your LAN, then don't. So I would go private.

Moon Wizard
November 2nd, 2019, 21:36
If you're playing on the same network, local hosting will be much faster. The lobby connection brokering should still work; but people from the Internet may not be able to connect if port forwarding blocked. Similar to FGC today.

If you're playing over the Internet, cloud hosting is slightly slower, because all the network data gets sent from GM and players to our server, before being distributed to the target machine. However, no port forwarding is required, since our server is brokering the connection.

Regards,
JPG

Aridhro
November 10th, 2019, 20:28
Will shared images be saved on the player's harddrive (or cash, don't now how it works)? In order not having to re-upload and download larger maps every session?

Allmight
November 10th, 2019, 20:33
Will shared images be saved on the player's harddrive (or cash, don't now how it works)? In order not having to re-upload and download larger maps every session?

Everything is saved locally, just as in FGC. So yes, from what i understand, it will be stored in the cashe as long as the images are shared by the GM/DM.

ronaldsf
March 29th, 2020, 16:57
I'm new to this and a bit confused. I would like to do port forwarding on my computer (I'm the GM/host) because of the connection issues with FGU's servers lately. My players are all at distant locations. I have a Static IP set up, and I set-up port forwarding per the instructions (UDP/1802).

In Fantasy Grounds, on the first screen, for Server Type should I choose Cloud or LAN?

Trenloe
March 29th, 2020, 17:00
I'm new to this and a bit confused. I would like to do port forwarding on my computer (I'm the GM/host) because of the connection issues with FGU's servers lately. My players are all at distant locations. I have a Static IP set up (1802).

For Server Type should I choose Cloud or LAN?
Select LAN for the server type. Then port forward UDP (not TCP) port 1802 from your router to your GM computer.

ronaldsf
March 29th, 2020, 17:43
Select LAN for the server type. Then port forward UDP (not TCP) port 1802 from your router to your GM computer. Thanks for the quick response, will do that today.

ronaldsf
March 29th, 2020, 18:00
Select LAN for the server type. Then port forward UDP (not TCP) port 1802 from your router to your GM computer.
My friend is trying to connect. His FGU is saying that it's attempting to make a direct connection to my [Static IP address:1802].
I had set up a static IP by going into Windows 10 using these instructions: https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm
I had looked up my router's make and model and used the instructions here: https://portforward.com/arris/tg3482g/
Because I have XFinity, when I went to Port Forwarding on my router, it said "Managing your home network settings is now easier than ever. Visit xfinity.com/myxfi to set up port forwards, among many other features and settings."

On the XFinity website I went to Advanced > Port Forwarding and set up UDP/1802 over there. There, I had to choose between my [Desktop Name] and [Desktop Name with a -3 at the end]. I chose the one with -3 at the end. I don't know if that makes a difference? It currently displays

At this time my laptop sitting next to me is able to connect to my Campaign.

Any insights?

UPDATE: My friend sent me a screenshot with the following error message. I don't know if it's enlightening:

"[3/29/2020 9:54:26 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[3/29/2020 9:54:44 AM] Attempting direct connection to server. [xx.x.x.xxx:1802] [[[[[[I hid the IP address]]]]]]]
[3/29/2020 9:56:36 AM] [ERROR] Unable to update session list from lobby server."

Meanwhile, he reports that it's still attempting the direct connection.

ronaldsf
March 29th, 2020, 18:35
My friend is trying to connect. His FGU is saying that it's attempting to make a direct connection to my [Static IP address:1802].
I had set up a static IP by going into Windows 10 using these instructions: https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm
I had looked up my router's make and model and used the instructions here: https://portforward.com/arris/tg3482g/
Because I have XFinity, when I went to Port Forwarding on my router, it said "Managing your home network settings is now easier than ever. Visit xfinity.com/myxfi to set up port forwards, among many other features and settings."

On the XFinity website I went to Advanced > Port Forwarding and set up UDP/1802 over there. There, I had to choose between my [Desktop Name] and [Desktop Name with a -3 at the end]. I chose the one with -3 at the end. I don't know if that makes a difference? It currently displays

At this time my laptop sitting next to me is able to connect to my Campaign.

Any insights?

UPDATE: My friend sent me a screenshot with the following error message. I don't know if it's enlightening:

"[3/29/2020 9:54:26 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[3/29/2020 9:54:44 AM] Attempting direct connection to server. [xx.x.x.xxx:1802] [[[[[[I hid the IP address]]]]]]]
[3/29/2020 9:56:36 AM] [ERROR] Unable to update session list from lobby server."

Meanwhile, he reports that it's still attempting the direct connection.

Since that message, I tried to host by choosing "Cloud" instead of "LAN." It gave me the message "Starting cloud server mode." And it hangs interminably.

I thought that my Port Forwarding and Static IP were preventing me from hosting a campaign via the cloud. So I reverted those changes. But when I try to host it still hangs on that message "Starting cloud server mode."

Now suddenly it says "Unable to check lobby server."

This has been beyond frustrating and it's a dealbreaker for me and we're going to use Roll20 today. I hope the devs can provide assistance.

ronaldsf
March 30th, 2020, 06:31
Since that message, I tried to host by choosing "Cloud" instead of "LAN." It gave me the message "Starting cloud server mode." And it hangs interminably.

I thought that my Port Forwarding and Static IP were preventing me from hosting a campaign via the cloud. So I reverted those changes. But when I try to host it still hangs on that message "Starting cloud server mode."

Now suddenly it says "Unable to check lobby server."

This has been beyond frustrating and it's a dealbreaker for me and we're going to use Roll20 today. I hope the devs can provide assistance.

I see that the lobby issue was universal. If there are any insights on how I can host on my computer instead of having to rely on the server I would appreciate it. (Please see my last few posts.)

Trenloe
March 30th, 2020, 08:25
XFinity has an extra layer of security. See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53461-Comcast-XFinity-and-Cox-Users-Important

So, setup your port forwarding as you had before (But you’ll need to verify exactly which entry to select for the GMs computer), then get someone to try to connect to your external IP address. Once they fail to connect follow the instructions in that thread to allow them through.

Cobra
May 22nd, 2020, 22:54
I have Xfinity internet and didn't have to do anything special for players to connect to my computer through LAN. I just gave them the external IP (as shown on the home menu for FGU) and a port I made up. I didn't use 1802 as my port though, I used a random number. If anyone in my house has to connect, they just use the internal IP (as opposed to the external) and the same port. I had to do this yesterday because the update made it impossible for me to host in the cloud. The new update today seems to have fixed that.

Overall though, I didn't experience any major issues with LAN either over the internet or locally. I think I'm going to use it now over cloud, because I have a player in one of my games that can't seem to connect to the cloud. I'm hoping to do a few test connects with him before our next game, both through cloud and LAN. He does have Xfinity too, and we haven't tried LAN yet with him. So it may be different for players with xfinity to connect to LAN. he is the only player I know what provider he has, so I'm nt sure what the others that can connect to both are using.