PDA

View Full Version : It's not fair

Girwan
October 31st, 2019, 17:46
A year ago, shortly after publishing, I bought a Traveler rulset. And I think it's not fair that a year later MGT2 appears, for which MGT1 owners have to pay a colossal amount. The first rulset has not been completed, it turned out to be full of mistakes, there are still no additions and suddenly we are deprived of support in order to buy a new rulset, with practically the same content, but more colorful and a little better (I hope) refined.

I suspect that this is dictated by the rules of cooperation of the makers of rulset with SmiteWorks - they get a percentage on sales for 12 months from the publication of their work. So after 12 months they care about publishing a new rulset, and old ... you can forget about it.

I think it's not fair, owners of the older version of the rulset should be able to buy a new version with a significant discount, especially if in terms of substantive content, not much changes there.

I admit that while I think FG is a very good tool for running RPG sessions and I appreciate people who develop it and build new rulsets, this approach is disappointing for me. I feel stretched to buy an underdone product that has almost no chance of improvement.

I will gladly return the underdeveloped MGT1 rulset and buy MGT2.

Santyagoffg
October 31st, 2019, 23:13
I fully agree with Girwan. Moreover there is another abandoned product named WOIN. There were a lot of promises of further development but no serious efforts were done. Both MGT1 and WOIN are at beta version and i want my money back.

esmdev
November 1st, 2019, 00:30
I can't speak for WOIN as I don't follow that development but I do know that a lot of improvement has gone into MGT1 over the course of the last year.

That said I do think that some sort of upgrade path, similar to the SWD to SWADE option should have been made available. There are some who prefer MGT1 but I think the majority would upgrade to MGT2 and were really here early and being punished for it. Speaking only for myself.

MadBeardMan
November 1st, 2019, 13:20
A year ago, shortly after publishing, I bought a Traveler rulset. And I think it's not fair that a year later MGT2 appears, for which MGT1 owners have to pay a colossal amount. The first rulset has not been completed, it turned out to be full of mistakes, there are still no additions and suddenly we are deprived of support in order to buy a new rulset, with practically the same content, but more colorful and a little better (I hope) refined.

I suspect that this is dictated by the rules of cooperation of the makers of rulset with SmiteWorks - they get a percentage on sales for 12 months from the publication of their work. So after 12 months they care about publishing a new rulset, and old ... you can forget about it.

I think it's not fair, owners of the older version of the rulset should be able to buy a new version with a significant discount, especially if in terms of substantive content, not much changes there.

I admit that while I think FG is a very good tool for running RPG sessions and I appreciate people who develop it and build new rulsets, this approach is disappointing for me. I feel stretched to buy an underdone product that has almost no chance of improvement.

I will gladly return the underdeveloped MGT1 rulset and buy MGT2.

Morning,

I'm still updating MGT1 so if you want to play with it, you can. Most of the MGT2 updates will be in MGT1 (ie the Psionic update, the Worlds update - v1.0.12).

Now I agree that a discount for all people who brought MGT1 would be very nice, that's not upto me.

Cheers,
MBM

I fully agree with Girwan. Moreover there is another abandoned product named WOIN. There were a lot of promises of further development but no serious efforts were done. Both MGT1 and WOIN are at beta version and i want my money back.

Morning,

MGT1 is not in Beta, it's v1.0.11 at the moment, and v1.0.12 is almost ready. I myself still play MGT1 and MGT2.

WOIN is not in Beta, it's v1.0.7. I've been working with NOW for it, not sure when that would be ready but it's happening.

Cheers,
MBM

ddavison
November 1st, 2019, 13:36
Thanks for the feedback.

Each ruleset should continue to evolve over time. We have a lot of older rulesets and some newer rulesets which have less functionality or automation than other rulesets. As far as I know, both rulesets contain about the same level of features and functionality at this point. I know that with MGT1 and MGT2, there is interest in adding ship combat support to these. Our new ruleset developer is working to add spacecraft combat to Starfinder and then MadBeardMan will have a good example to refer back to for addition into MGT1 and MGT2. They won't be copy and paste capable, so it will still require ruleset development to accomplish this.

For each ruleset, what is most helpful for us is to include specific lists of features that you thing are essential, nice to have or completely broken. Nothing should be completely broken, then we would look at essential features and finally nice to have features.

SmiteWorks would love to provide official and robust support for as many game systems as possible. Each of the mentions rulesets has significant more functionality and official data support that should far surpass what you would be able to accomplish using just the CoreRPG or MoreCore rulesets. How well these do financially helps drive interest from community developers to work under contract to build them. If you see a new ruleset pop out that you are interested in, buy it and try it out for 30 days. If you don't like the added support and data that it provides, return it for a full refund.

MGT1 and MGT2 do seem to share a lot of common functionality, though. We can reach out to the publisher to see if they would be interested in allowing these two systems to be bundled for a discount.

-Doug

esmdev
November 1st, 2019, 14:49
Hi Doug,

My main concern is that from what I gather, Mongoose doesn't want MadBeardMan to expand support for 1E products. There a tons of core expansions, supplements, adventures and the like for MGT1 that are apparently off the table for development. If this is the case (and I'm not sure that it is but it is how it appears to be) then definitely some sort of bundle would be awesome. Won't matter to me as I already have both, but it could be helpful to get new customers.

Basically, my thinking is that if MGT1 will only be the main rulebook and the tripwire adventure, it is like 5% of the rules. The ruleset is solid and does the job, but there is so much more to MGT1 that people would expect to be added (10 core books, 5 alien books, 16 supplements, referee aids, adventures, etc...). If it is not going to be expanded that should be clear at time purchase so that they can make an informed decision.

I would rather MBM focus on MGT2, it is the current version and I personally feel it is better organized. I just feel for people that might be coming for the older version and not know there will never be more than there is without doing it themselves.

ddavison
November 1st, 2019, 15:32
Good news everyone.

Matthew Sprange at Mongoose has agreed to allow a steep discount for buying Traveller 2E if you already own Traveller 1E.

The discount grants $39.99 off the purchase of the 2E ruleset.

If you already bought both products, please send an email to [email protected] and we can get you squared away.

esmdev
November 1st, 2019, 15:45
Good news everyone.

Matthew Sprange at Mongoose has agreed to allow a steep discount for buying Traveller 2E if you already own Traveller 1E.

The discount grants $39.99 off the purchase of the 2E ruleset.

If you already bought both products, please send an email to [email protected] and we can get you squared away.

You rock, Sir! :)

ddavison
November 1st, 2019, 15:51
Thanks for bringing your concerns to us so we could fix it.

The discount is live already.

GunbunnyFuFu
November 1st, 2019, 15:56
Excellent! Thanks for this! I was on the fence for getting MT2, as I had already invested in MT1. For $10, though, it's a good deal!

GBFF

MadBeardMan
November 1st, 2019, 16:18
Hi Doug,

Thanks for sorting this.

As a former publisher of games I'm on the fence about this kind of thing, but as long as the players are happy then all is cool.

Cheers,
MBM

Girwan
November 1st, 2019, 17:08
So, if I understood correctly - if I have MT1 for MT2, I pay only 10$? :)

Santyagoffg
November 1st, 2019, 20:21
I am very happy with discount on MT2 for me it is more than fair. According to WOIN i expect only one small change and
MadBeardMan (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?34650-MadBeardMan) know what it is

ddavison
November 3rd, 2019, 18:16
So, if I understood correctly - if I have MT1 for MT2, I pay only 10$? :)

That is correct.

Girwan
November 3rd, 2019, 18:22
I know, I bought it yesterday :)

sjard
November 22nd, 2019, 01:01
Do you have to have purchased 1e from the FG store for it to work?

Girwan
November 22nd, 2019, 06:11
Do you have to have purchased 1e from the FG store for it to work?

Yes, discount is for people who purhased 1E before. If you don't have it, buy 2E right away.

sjard
November 22nd, 2019, 14:28
That was not the question I was asking. I have had the 1e ruleset since it released. I was asking if I had to have purchased it from the FG store (as opposed to steam) in order to get the discount?

Girwan
November 22nd, 2019, 14:40
Try to buy in FG Store, you see :)

The discount is calculated automatically.

sjard
November 22nd, 2019, 14:44
From what I can tell then, without actually completing the order, steam purchases (of the 1st edition Ruleset) do not get the discount (i can't afford to take the risk of it charging full price to go beyond a certain stage in the order process right now (ie don't have the full price in the bank).

The paypal page still shows it at $49.99 for example.

ddavison
November 22nd, 2019, 15:06
This discount only works on the FG Store for FG Store purchases. Send an email to [email protected] and ask us to move your purchase of Traveller 1E over to our store so you can take advantage of the discount. If it doesn't show the discount on your checkout page, then it isn't working yet and you should hold off making the purchase until that is resolved for your account.

sjard
November 22nd, 2019, 15:15
Thank you for the response.

garrion_sw
November 25th, 2019, 13:35
Doug, you rock. I already emailed but wanted to publicly declare that fact. I wasn't expecting any kind of deal, but I perfectly understand why some customers requested it.

To MBM, I appreciate your efforts. Keep up the good work with these rulesets. I know it can get frustrating when you hear a lot of complaining about things you have put a lot of time into and get paid very little for. Often these things are done out of personal love for a system and certainly not a money making endeavor.

To the fans, as a long time owner of Fantasy Grounds, the work Doug and crew and the community dev's have put into this program is astonishing and has made it what it is today compared to the sparse program it once was. Can things be improved? Certainly. Can change take place without discussion? No. This is not directed at this particular thread but to the forums as a whole, let's try to stay supportive and encouraging to these folks that put in huge amounts of personal effort because they want to see FG thrive, not because they want to get rich.

HalC
November 26th, 2019, 19:53
Interesting Thread. I'm on the fence about picking up Mongoose Traveller at all, since I tend to use GURPS for my gaming needs. Having picked up a few of the Mongoose Traveller Titles (I've been collecting Traveller since 1978 when I started College back in those days) - and of course had to peek in MgT to see what ideas it contained.

My problem is that I work Third Shift Eastern Standard time - which makes finding gamers a wee bit tough. If I did run any games, it would be at 8 AM through 12 Noon Eastern Standard time. I have to admit, buying a discounted copy of MgT 2nd here is edging me closer to considering it!

Truth is - that you've got a viable community and the owners are discounting in fairness to those who purchased 1st edition material - that just makes it nicer all around. One could get used to a community like that!

All that it takes is to make that initial decision to buy the product...

Indecision - I gotta make a decision about that someday.

;)

esmdev
November 26th, 2019, 21:20
I cannot speak for gamers in you timeframe but I can tell you that the population appears to be expanding. MadBeardMan, the developer has been doing a great job with adding functionality to the ruleset and squishing whatever bugs come up. Every few weeks enhancements have been showing up but the big project right now is getting the Central Supply Catalog done. There's likely quite a number of small system mods that will need to go in to make that work. Once that is out MBM is going to move on to High Guard where the starship construction and combat rules will be added.

I have own and use both rulesets for different games and have been having a blast. It's also easy to customize. Need a new weapon, item, armor, skill, world you just add it.

Also the FG community in general is a global one with quite a few old-timers. You never know who might jump at a chance to hit up a Traveller game in your timeframe.

mrgrey
April 3rd, 2020, 21:32
Apologies for the necromancy, but just two questions: firstly is this discount still in place?

Secondly, assuming the discount is still in place, does that mean that if I buy 2e, I get 1e included, or would I have to buy them in order?

damned
April 4th, 2020, 01:16
Apologies for the necromancy, but just two questions: firstly is this discount still in place?

Secondly, assuming the discount is still in place, does that mean that if I buy 2e, I get 1e included, or would I have to buy them in order?

Buy the other way around.
I cant say for 100% but I do believe its still available.

esmdev
April 4th, 2020, 02:48

If you add 1E to the cart and then add 2E it will automatically discount the cost of the 1E ruleset in checkout.

mrgrey
April 4th, 2020, 13:54
Well, that solved the dilemma of which to buy. Thanks for the responses.