PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting FG on sale now - need feedback please!

Squeak
October 31st, 2019, 14:42
Hi all!

I would like to DM and do realise that FG Unity is expected to come out soon (two months?) so it may be cheaper to do a sub till then given the expected upgrade costs ($60?) rather then getting FG Ultimate on sale now. However I heard that FG Unity is a massive resource hog so if I buy Ultimate now and then buy the upgrade to Unity later I can use both systems.

Can someone provide me with advice please :)

Ty!

ddavison
October 31st, 2019, 14:51
A sub is probably wise at this time. That said, there may be reasons you would want access to FGClassic and FGU for a while still. See below for some thoughts that might help you decide.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_fgun ityinfo

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2019, 16:11
Anything you hear about FGU now is comments about a beta application that has not been optimized for resource usage. So, don't expect any comments now to be applicable to the production version.

IMO; Do a sub for now, and then when you are ready to switch to FGU, either switch the sub or buy a one-time license.

Macabreus
November 1st, 2019, 21:50
I also think a sub will at least get you familiar with the operations of FG and how to run things from the DM side. It also gives you the opportunity to see if the system is the right fit. I have been very happy with the beta test features of Unity and it is currently a work in progress. I would agree you shouldn't really judge things by where they are now.

Squeak
November 3rd, 2019, 22:45
Thanks for the feedback all!

I am leaning towards a sub for a month or two, but just to check are there any significant advantages to buying FG Ultimate classic now so I have access to both classic and Unity versions?

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2019, 00:18
That’s difficult to say. Classic will continue to be supported but there will come a point when Unity will take over but exactly how long that will be is anyone’s guess. There are substantial advantages with Unity particularly if you are unable to port forward and want the linrpe if sight and graphics that comes with it. All of your DLC will work with both, so it’s really a question of whether you’ll get use out of Classic if you intend to go Unity anyway.

But when the company president says a sub would be wise I’d listen :)

Squeak
November 4th, 2019, 13:10
That’s difficult to say. Classic will continue to be supported but there will come a point when Unity will take over but exactly how long that will be is anyone’s guess. There are substantial advantages with Unity particularly if you are unable to port forward and want the linrpe if sight and graphics that comes with it. All of your DLC will work with both, so it’s really a question of whether you’ll get use out of Classic if you intend to go Unity anyway.

But when the company president says a sub would be wise I’d listen :)

Ty all for the kind feedback!

I didn't realise that some of the advice was straight from the company president :)
But as it seems to be pretty unanimous that waiting for Unity and subbing if needed before that is the best move i will go with that.

Thanks again all!