PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GTX 1070 Performance and FGU - Maxed out memory and clock speed

Atreides Ghola
October 31st, 2019, 03:04
I mean, the weather effects are nice and all, but this is a little extreme, no?

So, by the book:

Can I reproduce it? Yes, by running the program.

Happens in 5e, which is all I've used so far.

There are no enabled community extensions.

[email protected]/4.2
32G DDR4 2400
GTX 1070 x 2
Win10 Home

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2019, 07:29
Known Item. Performance and memory usage is a current high priority item for resolution. You can find discussions in some of the loading threads :)

Atreides Ghola
October 31st, 2019, 10:22
Known Item. Performance and memory usage is a current high priority item for resolution. You can find discussions in some of the loading threads :)

I beg to differ. There are no other threads addressing GPU performance with FGU that I could find. This is not about FGU sucking down system memory when loading modules.

FGU causes my graphics card to run at maximum clock speeds, and uses all 8G of video RAM in addition to the system RAM being discussed in the loading threads. This occurs independently of loading modules in FGU.

By way of comparison, running something like The Witcher 3 at 1440p with high quality presets at 60fps doesn’t push my cards’ performance nearly as high as FGU does.

Allmight
October 31st, 2019, 12:35
I have to second this. My GPU (Nvidia GTX 970) Goes to 90-100% usage as soon as i open a map/image in FGU. As long as no image is opened all is fine, useage then is around 30%. But as soon as i open a map/image, GPU usage goes to 90-100%. I think that is a bit over the top for just an image/map. Many of my AAA games is nowhere close to hammer my card this hard.

I know this is beta, and optimization is an ongoing thing, so i just put this up here for informational purposes.

Atreides Ghola
October 31st, 2019, 13:49
I have to second this. My GPU (Nvidia GTX 970) Goes to 90-100% usage as soon as i open a map/image in FGU. As long as no image is opened all is fine, useage then is around 30%. But as soon as i open a map/image, GPU usage goes to 90-100%. I think that is a bit over the top for just an image/map. Many of my AAA games is nowhere close to hammer my card this hard.

I know this is beta, and optimization is an ongoing thing, so i just put this up here for informational purposes.

I haven't needed to open a map - as soon as the GUI opens, the card ramps up to max mem usage and max clock speed. It actually exceeds the normal boost clock, and ramps up the temps on my card to 53C. The problem occurs without loading a single module from the library.

kicks07
October 31st, 2019, 19:09
I'm in the same boat as well. Just opening an image and playing around with things like pins in that image will max out my GTX 1070. I've seen several posts that say optimization is a current dev priority, so good news there!

LordEntrails
November 1st, 2019, 03:58
I beg to differ. There are no other threads addressing GPU performance with FGU that I could find. This is not about FGU sucking down system memory when loading modules.

Ok, I would think they are related, but will let the devs address that.

Grommit57
November 1st, 2019, 20:50
I'm running i7 6700 3.4GHz, 16GB and a GTX 1070
New campaign, PHB, DMG, MM and an imported map,applied Los layer and snow effect.
Walked around open/closed doors, opened several images from MM and DMG without closing anything.

Never saw my GPU memory usage go above 38%

Sorry, I Know that doesn't help you but not seeing the problem here.

Henrique Oliveira Machado
November 1st, 2019, 21:28
I haven't checked but my GTX970 seems tu run it fine (it only takes a lot of time to load). Are V-sync off by defaut at your machine in Nvidia control panel?
It could be any of the settings there.

Moon Wizard
November 4th, 2019, 05:31
Thanks for reporting. For those that are seeing high GPU utilitization, is this only with the base program open, or once you start opening images and/or using certain features?

Thanks,
JPG

Atreides Ghola
November 12th, 2019, 15:05
Thanks for reporting. For those that are seeing high GPU utilitization, is this only with the base program open, or once you start opening images and/or using certain features?

Thanks,
JPG

While the program is loading, it still uses all available VRAM on the card (8GB in this case). That sometimes settles back to about half, until you start opening images and using maps. Turning on LOS maxes out mem usage as well. At all times after loading the program, it runs the GPU at max clock speed. By comparison, FGC barely affects GPU usage at all. If it makes any difference, I'm using an ASUS 27" 4k monitor.

Also, as noted in the screenshots I posted - maxing out the clock also overrides the boost limit I've set for the card. Closing FGU down after using it also causes my GPU monitoring/management software (MSI Afterburner) to crash.

niknas
November 12th, 2019, 16:05
While the program is loading, it still uses all available VRAM on the card (8GB in this case). That sometimes settles back to about half, until you start opening images and using maps. Turning on LOS maxes out mem usage as well. At all times after loading the program, it runs the GPU at max clock speed. By comparison, FGC barely affects GPU usage at all. If it makes any difference, I'm using an ASUS 27" 4k monitor.

Also, as noted in the screenshots I posted - maxing out the clock also overrides the boost limit I've set for the card. Closing FGU down after using it also causes my GPU monitoring/management software (MSI Afterburner) to crash.

Related to this when it comes to performance on lower end laptop GPUs as well: Link to thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52018-Expected-performance-with-GPU-at-higher-resolutions)

LordEntrails
November 12th, 2019, 17:46
There was ano th her report about a nVidia feature called something like "image sharpening" that was causing problems and turning it off resulted in resolution of graphics performance issues. Can you see if you have any similar options? Also, try turning off advanced options and lowering performance settings.

Allmight
November 12th, 2019, 17:58

Thanks,
JPG

For me it starts when i open an image/map. I am arounf 30%-40% before opening an image, and goes up to between 90%-100% as soon as i open an image/map.

Atreides Ghola
November 17th, 2019, 17:39
There was ano th her report about a nVidia feature called something like "image sharpening" that was causing problems and turning it off resulted in resolution of graphics performance issues. Can you see if you have any similar options? Also, try turning off advanced options and lowering performance settings.

Yeah, I went through and adjusted nVidia’s settings to reduce GPU usage before the first post. I have image sharpening off globally, but made a specific profile for FGU, and turned off advanced options that would call the GPU to run full tilt. After the last update, it still spins clock speed to max, but doesn’t start sucking down memory until I open an image.

talyien
December 10th, 2019, 23:44
I also have a sharp increase in GPU and CPU usage whenever a map or image is opened. Closing the image returns the memory usage back to normal.

I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina running

OS X 10.14
CPU 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB

Moon Wizard
December 11th, 2019, 01:28
Thanks for reporting. The image display system does a lot of things right now. With all the ongoing changes and fixes to the image system, it will be a while yet before we look at optimizing the image performance. (especially for static images with a single layer)

Regards,
JPG

Atreides Ghola
March 13th, 2020, 00:03
Just wanted to post here again - FGU has come a long way since the last post in this thread, congrats guys! Great job.

It's still using way too much graphical power for what it does. I know you're not optimizing, but this is kinda crazy for a program like FGU.

Again, most AAA games in HD won't run up an overclocked 1070GTX this way. It has pushed the clock speed over the OC limit I have set. That's a pretty big problem. No special circumstances are required to reproduce this - all I have to do to burn out my video card is to run FGU.

ddavison
March 13th, 2020, 02:02
We are not seeing that sort of performance on our test machines. I have an older desktop that I use as my primary and it has a Nvidia 970 that barely budges. My laptop runs an Nvidia GTX 1060. Here it is with the 5E campaign loaded, 5E theme, several 5E modules and a large map from Dungeon of the Mad Mage displayed.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32074&d=1584061205

Since you saw this early on and haven't seen it improve, this makes me wonder if your FGU version isn't getting fully updated -- or if an older version is still floating around. There have been a few iterations of the installer and early versions may have left some orphans. Can you try uninstalling it and then searching for any possible duplicates before doing a fresh install? If you still see this issue, then we can see if Carl has any sort of additional diagnostics we can look at to see why you might be experiencing this. It is definitely not working as intended.

Atreides Ghola
March 13th, 2020, 02:06
Absolutely, I'll uninstall and start fresh. I'll let you know what the results are.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

pindercarl
March 13th, 2020, 03:02
Just wanted to post here again - FGU has come a long way since the last post in this thread, congrats guys! Great job.

It's still using way too much graphical power for what it does. I know you're not optimizing, but this is kinda crazy for a program like FGU.

Again, most AAA games in HD won't run up an overclocked 1070GTX this way. It has pushed the clock speed over the OC limit I have set. That's a pretty big problem. No special circumstances are required to reproduce this - all I have to do to burn out my video card is to run FGU.

As Doug has mentioned, we aren't seeing this sort of performance on a variety of systems. For compatibility testing, I sometimes run FGU on an old Mac Mini with an i5 processor and an integrated Intel video chip, and I don't see this either. However, all of our data at this point is anecdotal and not statistically significant. I did notice in your screen grab that it looks like you're running to two 1070s. Is this an SLI setup? If so, it would be the one data point that is different.

Atreides Ghola
March 13th, 2020, 05:45
It is an SLI setup. I've set it to run in single GPU mode for FGU. I got the same results with SLI enabled.

pollux
March 13th, 2020, 05:50
I also don't reproduce this maxing out of the GPU utilization. I load a 5e campaign, load a map from FG Battlemaps, place a PC token on the map, turn on LoS, and add an FX snow layer. GPU utilization according to the windows perf window hovers around 45% with 2.5GB of 8GB of video ram occupied. This on an NVidia 2080 max-q (which is a stronger card than most others in this thread, fwiw).

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2020, 06:02
Try 2 or 3 different graphic card driver versions. And not sequential ones. Pick ones that are several versions and months apart from each other.

niknas
March 13th, 2020, 17:53
I have the same'ish issue. See attached screenshot. Did uninstall, then reinstall with latest installer in the same data directory os the old.

niknas
March 13th, 2020, 17:54
I have the same'ish issue. See attached screenshot. Did uninstall, then reinstall with latest installer in the same data directory os the old.
I do have FGU running at the same time as FGC, but closing down FGC does nothing for the GPU. It stays at the same level.

niknas
March 14th, 2020, 20:25
Another screenshot from a Surface Pro 5 (i5) this time. Still 100% GPU while doing nothing. Just running FGU and having a window open.

Moon Wizard
March 15th, 2020, 02:15
I'm thinking that motherboard graphics cards from slim laptops may just not be strong enough to run FGU with all the pieces it's juggling in memory. We're going to look at optimizing where we can; but thinking the experience on thin-and-light laptops is going to be non-optimal.

Regards,
JPG

niknas
March 15th, 2020, 13:32
Fair enough. Just wanted to give some more data since pindercarl had this quote in an earlier post in this thread.
"As Doug has mentioned, we aren't seeing this sort of performance on a variety of systems. For compatibility testing, I sometimes run FGU on an old Mac Mini with an i5 processor and an integrated Intel video chip, and I don't see this either. However, all of our data at this point is anecdotal and not statistically significant."

Moon Wizard
March 15th, 2020, 17:57
We definitely appreciate extra data; just trying to set expectations for what we can fix vs. what we may not be able to fix.

Regards,
JPG

Maldev
March 16th, 2020, 04:48
G'day there.

Running Latest version 3.3.11
4E No extensions
Win 10

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Intel i5-7600K @3.80Hz
16G RAM

-My FGU is running very slow after opening tables, almost frozen.
-It can take more than a minute to open a table window [see Image 1 for Task manager info] 32144
-The key input delay makes it unusable; Meaning it takes a minute to load the selected table and afterwards FGU is laggy (10 to 30 seconds key input delay).
-Sometimes it just freezes completely and I have to use task manager to exit FGU.

-I have restarted my PC multiple times and tried over multiple days.
-Have also tried my other 4E campaigns and same problem. [Image 2] 32145
-It takes around 2 mins 20 to load for my main campaign.
-With modules disabled it makes no difference in game, but load time is 1m 11 secs and RAM is reduced [Image 3]32146

-I have created lots of tables (in FG Classic which has no issues).
-It is when I try to interract with these that FGU grinds to a halt.

Tried 5e d&d ruleset and no issues (58 secs to load). [Image 4] 32147 * However I do not play much 5E , it was just for a comparison

*EDIT: I don't have problems when using Images and LOS

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2020, 21:08
Thanks for the additional information. We're still tracking this one, and looking at opportunities to improve performance as we go.

Regards,
JPG

spite
March 17th, 2020, 10:26
I am also using 4e and experiencing hugely un playable lag. Massive memory usage with only having a single map open. When I try to utilise anything like LOS or other stuff it's 30s-1minute input lag, or hard crashing requiring closing down and restarting.

ddavison
March 17th, 2020, 12:16
I am also using 4e and experiencing hugely un playable lag. Massive memory usage with only having a single map open. When I try to utilise anything like LOS or other stuff it's 30s-1minute input lag, or hard crashing requiring closing down and restarting.

Can you include details on your system specs, OS and graphics card? This may help us identify the root cause.

spite
March 17th, 2020, 21:32
PC specs:
CPU: AMD 7 2700
DDR4 16gb RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
FG is running on an SSD

Atreides Ghola
March 18th, 2020, 04:13
I did a clean install of FGU; the problem still occurs, but not immediately now - as I open images, the program draws increasingly on the card. I guess that's to be expected? With that said, it sill pushes my clock past the settings, and heats the card up into the 60's C.
I had 4 or 5 images open to get those results, no fx running.

Closing them down almost returns everything to normal - by which I mean closer to FGC, which never heats up higher than 35C or so - and I can open many more images in FGC without any effect on the card.

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2020, 19:59
Are they single layer images just display a graphic?
Or are they multi-layer images with LoS and/or FX layers?

Just want to get an idea of what specific items are ramping up your card.

JPG

Atreides Ghola
March 18th, 2020, 20:06
They were just single layer images - no LoS, no tokens - just whatever pins happen to be on the maps.

I can open up any number of other windows (tables, npc list, image list, equipment lists, etc), with no noticeable hit on the card.

Other than that, FGU has been really running great. I ran a test session and my players really loved it.

This is really a minor issue in the grand scheme of things - important to me, but not necessarily so to lots of others - didn't expect anybody to spend lots of time on this, since you haven't really gotten to optimization yet. Was just trying to be a good citizen and let you know it was going on.

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2020, 21:25
Thanks, I've added to the task we're tracking for this situation. We're trying to nail down where the performance areas are, and additional information is always helpful.

Regards,
JPG

AlphaDecay
March 19th, 2020, 16:26
I have a laptop with a 1080GTX (driver version 419.35, not the newest) and I loaded a session, an image, applied an FX layer and turned on some rain and line of sight and I'm only seeing between 7-17% GPU utilization and a similar CPU usage (i7-7700HQ). I do use RivaTuner and frame limit to 60fps.

Atreides Ghola
March 19th, 2020, 17:11
I have a laptop with a 1080GTX (driver version 419.35, not the newest) and I loaded a session, an image, applied an FX layer and turned on some rain and line of sight and I'm only seeing between 7-17% GPU utilization and a similar CPU usage (i7-7700HQ). I do use RivaTuner and frame limit to 60fps.

Limiting the frame rate is a great idea. Wish I had thought of it. Thanks!

Trenloe
March 19th, 2020, 17:15
Limiting the frame rate is a great idea. Wish I had thought of it. Thanks!
I'd be interested to see if this helps.

The frame rate was supposedly capped at 60 in the FG app. See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51772-FGU-Playtest-Updates&p=476816&viewfull=1#post476816

But maybe it's not working correctly, or causing issues with some graphics card.

Atreides Ghola
March 19th, 2020, 20:57
I'd be interested to see if this helps.

The frame rate was supposedly capped at 60 in the FG app. See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51772-FGU-Playtest-Updates&p=476816&viewfull=1#post476816

But maybe it's not working correctly, or causing issues with some graphics card.

On my system, today, temps went up to about 60C, framerate was locked at 60, but never got above 39 fps, with 6 images open. Some had LoS, and one had the mist effect running.

With just the tabletop open - no other windows besides chat, it ran @ 60 fps, about 40C.

Frame rate drops and temps rise with every window (image, combat tracker, party sheet, etc) open.

Also, a lot less lag opening items with the frame rate limited to 30 fps.

Limiting frame rate @30 fps drops temps and it runs closer to the threshold.

At that level, got the full 30 fps, temps dropped to 45-46C with 18 windows (7 images, two with LoS, two with mist effect, CT, PS, Effects, Modifiers, 5 Character sheets, two Ref Manuals)

Trenloe
March 19th, 2020, 21:18
Thanks for taking the time to test and post those stats @Atreides Ghola!

AlphaDecay
April 9th, 2020, 19:43
I've had mine capped by RivaTuner to 60 for so long I didn't know FGU did it. I turned off RivaTuner and it was still capped at 60fps. So it probably isn't any benefit.

Maldev
April 15th, 2020, 05:50
G'day all, haven't been on FGU for a couple of weeks.
Today I jumped on and have noticed an immediate improvement. (I had previously had trouble with freezing and similar).
I was able to open most of my tables without any real delay. There are still issues, but I can see a marked improvement from my earlier post here.
So what I am saying is kudos to you @FG, your hard work it is clearly making a difference. Cheers!