PDA

View Full Version : Resizing the window causes FGU error and exit

dgreg3232
October 31st, 2019, 00:46
I'm running Windows 10 (fully patched and updated) on a brand new Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop. 16GB RAM, i7 8th gen CPU with 1TB SSD. The FGU Beta install went just fine. When I launch FGU it loads normally. I go to resize the window and I get the following error.

This happens no matter what method I use to resize the window. Grabbing the corner and dragging, right-click on the FGU desktop and "maximize window" or double-clicking on the title bar of the FGU window.

I read the release notes/bug reports and couldn't find anything related to this. I may have missed it. Is anyone else having this issue?

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2019, 00:52
Nope, I'm not having that problem. Win 7 Pro, Aero windows turned off.

Check if Aero or transparent windows in Windows changes this. Also, does it still happen after FGU finishes loading?

EDIT: Welcome!

dgreg3232
October 31st, 2019, 00:59
Nope, I'm not having that problem. Win 7 Pro, Aero windows turned off.

Check if Aero or transparent windows in Windows changes this. Also, does it still happen after FGU finishes loading?

EDIT: Welcome!

Thanks LordEntrails. I'm running Windows 10. I'm thinking something else is wrong. I shouldn't need to purchase and install a theme in order to get FGU to work.

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2019, 01:08
No, I mean the Windows Aero Peek that comes with Windows starting in Win 7 I think. I've had it cause problems with other programs so I turned mine off long ago. I think Win 10 has something similar that allows transparent windows on mouse drag. I'm wondering if that might be the problem. If so, then it isolating that will let SW know what interaction they need to fix :)

dgreg3232
October 31st, 2019, 02:16
No, I mean the Windows Aero Peek that comes with Windows starting in Win 7 I think. I've had it cause problems with other programs so I turned mine off long ago. I think Win 10 has something similar that allows transparent windows on mouse drag. I'm wondering if that might be the problem. If so, then it isolating that will let SW know what interaction they need to fix :)

Got it. I'm currently using all of the default settings for Windows 10 in Performance Options. I have tried turning all of them off/on and it had no effect.

UPDATE: I CAN run FGU just fine as long as I don't attempt to resize ANY of the windows, this includes the initial load screen. This is a weird one.

pollux
October 31st, 2019, 02:18
When I launch FGU it loads normally. I go to resize the window and I get the following error.

Based on your screenshot, I'm a little confused about what "it loads normally" means. That screenshot is not:

The FGU updater, which has a window title of "FGUpdaterEngine", says "Fantasy Ground Updater" at the top, and has "Settings", "Update", and "Launch Fantasy Grounds" buttons at the bottom.
The campaign selection screen, which has a window title of "Fantasy Grounds", says "Fantasy Grounds" at the top and has "Host Campaign" and "Join Campaign" buttons on the left.
FGU with a loaded campaign, with the chatbox on the left and the content buttons on the right.

It does look quite a lot like FGU after selecting a campaign while the campaign is loading. Right now, loading a campaign does seem to take a good amount of time. If I mess around resizing the FGU window while the campaign is loading I can get it to stop responding to resize input, and can get Windows 10 to mark the FGU window as "Not Responding". However, if I keep waiting (a good while, more than 60s) FGU will eventually finish loading and the normal UI with a loaded campaign pops up.

Is it possible that you're just not waiting long enough for the campaign to load? If that's not it, it would help to understand exactly how you're reproducing this problem because the screenshot leaves me, at least, with questions about what stage things are failing at.

FYI, I tried this with "Use Peek to preview the desktop" both enabled and disabled in Windows 10. It made no difference in behavior.

dgreg3232
October 31st, 2019, 02:31
The error window in the screenshot only comes up when I attempt to resize ANY of the FGU windows. By "Any" window I mean any of the windows listed here:

I've also tried waiting a long time before attempting to resize any of the windows.

pollux
October 31st, 2019, 02:58
The error window in the screenshot only comes up when I attempt to resize ANY of the FGU windows. By "Any" window I mean any of the windows listed here

That makes it clear enough. I don't have good ideas for how to workaround or what additional details might help the Smiteworks devs triage your issue. I cannot reproduce it, though. I'm able to successfully resize all those windows with all the methods you tried (double-click title-bar, drag corner, right-click to max and unmax all work).

dgreg3232
October 31st, 2019, 04:05
That makes it clear enough. I don't have good ideas for how to workaround or what additional details might help the Smiteworks devs triage your issue. I cannot reproduce it, though. I'm able to successfully resize all those windows with all the methods you tried (double-click title-bar, drag corner, right-click to max and unmax all work).

Pollux - Thanks for trying. Hoping this gets resolved.

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2019, 07:24
By chance are you running in Wine or Parallels?

You could cause it to crash and then go check your System Event logs > Applications and see if any errors or warnings are thrown. Those would help SW.

ddavison
October 31st, 2019, 15:16
Thanks for reporting dgreg.

I have been unable to reproduce that problem locally and I am able to resize without issue. Do you happen to be running any other screen sharing or display altering programs? I'm trying to see if there is something different on your end than a standard installation which might be having a conflict.

dgreg3232
October 31st, 2019, 16:15
Thanks for reporting dgreg.

I have been unable to reproduce that problem locally and I am able to resize without issue. Do you happen to be running any other screen sharing or display altering programs? I'm trying to see if there is something different on your end than a standard installation which might be having a conflict.

It's a brand new laptop. Default settings and nothing fancy. I'm going to reset the laptop to factory default tomorrow night and start from scratch. I'll post an update.

notrealdan
October 31st, 2019, 18:09
Check if your graphics card driver is fully up-to-date. If not, update that first and see if it makes any difference.

dgreg3232
November 2nd, 2019, 17:59
Check if your graphics card driver is fully up-to-date. If not, update that first and see if it makes any difference.

All firmware, BIOS and drivers, including graphics drivers are up-to-date. I've also tried performing a factory reset of the laptop. No change. This appears to be a Unity thing and is a known issue. I'll post this her in hopes that it might help.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-crashed-when-resizing-scene-or-game-window.283631/

dgreg3232
November 2nd, 2019, 18:09
Here's another related forum post regarding the Unity engine. In my case it still crashes when I attempt to resize a window whether I'm plugged in or not.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-editor-crash-frezze-caused-by-resizing-windows.537742/

dgreg3232
November 2nd, 2019, 18:31
FIXED: For users that have a PC/Laptop that uses the Intel Video Graphics card and drivers. Go into the Intel Graphics Control Panel and reset all default settings. I did this and it fixed my issue. Hope this helps someone else.

Moon Wizard
November 4th, 2019, 07:00
Thanks for the follow-up, and posting your resolution.

Perhaps a driver issue? I actually worked in testing on the Intel graphics drivers at one point; and they are not the best at game support.

Regards,
JPG