PDA

View Full Version : XML for all

markem
October 30th, 2019, 22:29
It would be nice if FG or FGU to make a small XML file for each icon/image. One of the main reasons is to put the actual size of the icon/image. So take chairs and tables. Say you have a chair.png file. Then FG/FGU could make a chair.xml file which goes with it. Inside is <width>3ft</width> and <height>4ft</height> along with such things as <file>chair.png</file> (or maybe <file>c:/this/is/my/path/chair.png</file> or maybe <path>c:/this/is/my/path</path><file>chair.png</file>). In this way, dependent upon the scale of the grid (say a 5ft square = 1 square on grid) then the chair could be autoresized to fit. The same with tables and such. A rich text editor could be included so you could edit the XML file.

If all producers of software did this one trick - not knowing the size of things would be in the past.

Also - it is not "OMG! He wants us to make XML files for EVERYTHING!" No. It is "When I use an icon/image - the program checks to see if there is an XML file and if not - it makes one. Then, it does somethings to try to figure out the width, height, path, filename, and can even do such things as include changes the person makes to the file. Like "It is too dark - lighten it up some or it is too bright, darken it a bit." and so on. In this way - the computer remembers what the person does and presents that back to the person when they need to use the same image/icon.

Just an idea. :-)

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2019, 23:40
Please add to the the wishlist so it can be tracked and voted on; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/