PDA

View Full Version : Using too much memory or glitched install?

FriendBesto
October 30th, 2019, 17:56
Forgive me if this has come up already, I did not find it while going over bugs and reports.

While installing I had task manager open, I would watch a 200MB file download, then I would watch as disk usage was at 350 MB/s for like a full minute while it decompresses, this seemed a bit odd but then seemed REALLY odd when I'd launch the program; a fresh blank campaign would use about 2g of ram, but then I load the PHB and an adventure module and I'm up over 8 gigs minimum, load up some other core books and my ram maxes out (16 gigs ram, 8 shared GPU memory), performance drops, and I can never load that campaign again. I suspect I may need to reinstall perhaps due to an issue caused by me using the updater to install within an hour of launch so updater was restarted like 20 times after various lost connections.

On a clean run I was able to load up ONLY a module I made myself, 95mb mod file which added 4 gigs to the ram once loaded, and play with some of the LoS (really fun and easy btw, just need an obstructive landscape zone you can see out of but not into for things hiding in landscape instead of on it, like a goblin in a bush, basically the current landscape zone but with an extra toggle so you cant see into the zone at first, then cant see past it from outside before finally being clear on the 3rd toggle and it'll be perfect).

Anyway, I was wondering what other people's system loads are looking like or if its clear that I should do a clean reinstall to fix a unique problem? I am hard pressed to believe the hardware requirements jumped this hard, I don't have a super rig or anything but if I struggle to load a campaign no one else I currently play with will be able to migrate to unity.

Hopefully I'm not bringing up a known issue, I've seen several reports of not being able to load a campaign but system loads weren't included and they seemed to suspect network problems.

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2019, 18:00
Thanks, this has been reported (posts about loading and crashing and load times) and SmiteWorks has created a high priority issue for them to track and resolve :)

IMO, Don't bother doing a re-install, it has to do with FGU and not your system. Increasing swap space on your system might help, but might not.

FriendBesto
October 30th, 2019, 18:11
Thanks for the quick response! I'm running Win10x64, with an extra 6g virtual memory allocated on my SAS RAID10 drive but if this is caused by the beta build and is on track to get fixed Ill just limit what I load at once for now, not like anyone I know would be able to join on this build anyway if I'm pushing past 24 gigs memory. Still lets me add LOS to my custom module maps while I wait on loading extra modules to continue building the campaign.

stoehovve
October 30th, 2019, 18:12
Just to add to this, on the off chance it helps create an aha moment.

I generally run with 32 GB of RAM, but due to couple of bad sticks I recently had to drop it to 16 GB of RAM, and I noticed the RAM usage issue quite significantly. I tend to play with quite a few of the modules loaded during a campaign, mainly the PHB, DMG, MM, SCAG, Mordenkinens, volo's and xanthars + some map related modules along side the actual campaign module. I only got half way through my module loads when I noticed a significant slowdown in the systems performance and saw the system using over 14 GB of the available memory. The slowdown only seemed to happen during the loading of the module, once it was loaded - I was able to run things somewhat smoothly.

kicks07
October 30th, 2019, 21:39
Memory usage is totally bonkers right now and I hope it gets addressed and optimized (I'm sure it will). But this is what is currently happening to me. I have 16 GBs of ram. I idle ~30%. I load FGU, it goes to about 100% for the load (I have a bunch of modules loaded to stress the thing, but not more than what I think would be reasonable. I had it opened up with around 70-80%. Clicking on buttons is slow to load anything for the first time. After everything has been loaded I sat at about 80%. Things are running clunky but working. I open up a map and start haphazardly moving a pin about. The memory rises to 99%, then (in what I'm assuming is windows dumping the memory) it randomly falls to about 58%. Everything still runs alright, but as I roll dice and open things it slowly rises back into that 70-80 range. I can repeat the process if I load a new module. It just seems that the ram optimization needs work, and how much the software needs to load into memory probably needs to be addressed.