PDA

View Full Version : Alias Not Working on Local Network

MaxAstro
October 30th, 2019, 05:00
Weird issue I've been having: If my players connect to my campaign over the internet, they are able to use the alias to connect. However, if they are on my local area network (most of my players bring their laptops to game) the alias doesn't work and they are only able to connect if they use my IP address (annoying, because it's not static).

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Moon Wizard
October 30th, 2019, 05:47
That's correct. The alias system will only work with external Internet connections. Computers on the same local network must use the internal IP address instead.

Regards,
JPG

Andraax
October 30th, 2019, 11:16
they are only able to connect if they use my IP address (annoying, because it's not static).

Make it static. That makes your port forwarding work correctly as well.

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 21:21
If your router has the option, you can make a DHCP reservation for your computer. That way your computer thinks its getting a dynamic IP on your LAN, but the DHCP service on your router always gives that computer the same IP address. This is really useful in the case of laptops on wifi, where you generally don't want to set a static IP on the wifi card's config (so you don't have to reconfigure it each time you connect to some other network, like a friend's house or coffee shop or wherever) but you still know you get the same IP address on your own network every time.

MaxAstro
October 30th, 2019, 22:41
If your router has the option, you can make a DHCP reservation for your computer. That way your computer thinks its getting a dynamic IP on your LAN, but the DHCP service on your router always gives that computer the same IP address. This is really useful in the case of laptops on wifi, where you generally don't want to set a static IP on the wifi card's config (so you don't have to reconfigure it each time you connect to some other network, like a friend's house or coffee shop or wherever) but you still know you get the same IP address on your own network every time.

Thank you! I'll look into that; that is basically exactly the problem I was having.