PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Fantasy Grounds and Dropbox Don't Play Nice Together

MaxAstro
October 30th, 2019, 04:57
So I fully recognize this issue is due to my somewhat non-standard use; this is less to request a fix and more to give a heads up to anyone who tries the same thing, I suppose.

My Fantasy Grounds install (and probably more importantly my campaign file) are located in my Dropbox - mostly so that I can easily edit my campaign from my bedroom computer, and then run it from my living room computer. Several times now, I've had Fantasy Grounds crash while running my campaign, usually while editing character sheets or image masks. At first I thought there was something wrong with FG, but I discovered that turning Dropbox off causes the crash to stop happening.

Most likely some version of "Fantasy Grounds is trying to access a file while Dropbox is busy with it" is causing the crash, but in any case yeah: they don't seem to get along very well.

Moon Wizard
October 30th, 2019, 05:47
Yes, we always recommend not placing FG data folders into any folders that are being used by synching software (such as DropBox, OneDrive, etc.). Inevitably, it can causes crashes and can also cause loss of data when unable to save files.

Personally, I use a backup system that automates backups each night by copying to a synched folder.

Regards,
JPG

dulux-oz
October 30th, 2019, 10:43
For what its worth, I pretty much do what you do @Max - work on my campaigns (and other stuff) on my main PC and my Laptop. I use FreeFileSync to keep both folders (and others) syncronised - its fast, free, and updated regularly.

Hope that helps. :)

Cheers

MaxAstro
October 30th, 2019, 22:43
For what its worth, I pretty much do what you do @Max - work on my campaigns (and other stuff) on my main PC and my Laptop. I use FreeFileSync to keep both folders (and others) syncronised - its fast, free, and updated regularly.

Hope that helps. :)

Cheers

Thanks, I haven't heard of that program. I'll look into it.