PDA

View Full Version : crashing issue

Athlonis
October 30th, 2019, 02:41
1. Created brand new 5e campaign. Hit Start. took about 2 minutes before the campaign actually loaded.
2. Loaded DM guide. Took 20 seconds during which FGU was non-responsive.
3. loaded Monster manual. Took 22 seconds. again FGU was non-responsive during this time. Also at this point Memory usage is 3.972 GB
4. loaded players handbook. took 15 seconds. again nonresponsive during load. Memory usage now 4.546 GB
5. loaded xanathars guide. took 16 seconds. Memory usage now at 5.391 GB
6. loaded Rise of tiamat. Memory usage goes past to 7GB. Then FGU hard crashes. Triggers multiple browser windows to crash due to out of memory.

This is my current loadout of my current campaign in FGC which is why i'm loading these and i haven't even loaded the other modules I normally have open.

I can repeat this and it crashes every time. I don't know if there's a log file i can look at.

computer specs:
Windows 10 Home. build 1903
Core i7-4790
16GB ram
FGU running off SSD, but data files running of different hard drive that is not an SSD.
Geforce GTX 1070.

btw. i love the dice rolling sounds. although it sounds like it bouncing off a glass plate. Would be nice to change it to a more wooden sound.

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2019, 02:44
console.log file in you FG Data folder.

Does it crash on RoT if you load that first?

Athlonis
October 30th, 2019, 02:54
just ran through it again, but loading RoT first this time and it does crash. Memory usage is at 7.828GB right before it crashes.

console.log only has this
[10/29/2019 6:46:36 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[10/29/2019 6:46:59 PM] [NOTICE] Requesting cloud server.
[10/29/2019 6:47:05 PM] [NOTICE] Connected to game server.
[10/29/2019 6:47:05 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
[10/29/2019 6:47:05 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.
[10/29/2019 6:52:18 PM] [NOTICE] Campaign saved.

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2019, 03:28
ok, so it crashes on RoT itself? That's solid info :)

I don't have it, so I can't reproduce, but I'm sure SW can :)

Athlonis
October 30th, 2019, 03:30
sorry if that was misunderstood.
i meant loading RoT first plus all the other ones also makes it crash. not just RoT by itself.

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2019, 03:36
Oh, bummer. I'm at a loss. :(

Athlonis
October 30th, 2019, 03:49
i tried it with same set of core books and out of the abyss and same thing. so it's not specific to it.

but it seems to be the same thing where once the memory usage gets past 7GB, it crashes. and 7GB of memory usage is way too much. this can't be a normal thing.

console.log shows this
[10/29/2019 7:42:10 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[10/29/2019 7:42:27 PM] [NOTICE] Requesting cloud server.
[10/29/2019 7:42:32 PM] [NOTICE] Connected to game server.
[10/29/2019 7:42:33 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
[10/29/2019 7:42:33 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.
[10/29/2019 7:43:36 PM] [WARNING] Frame hotkeytitlebox contains out-of-range values in Middle.
[10/29/2019 7:43:36 PM] [WARNING] Frame hotkeytitlebox contains out-of-range values in Right.

Atreides Ghola
October 30th, 2019, 04:41
I'm having this problem as well, regardless of what's loaded, at 7-8 GB usage, it crashes.

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 04:52
Strange, I'm not able to recreate this issue. I'm able to load those same modules and FGU continues operating. It gets upwards of 9-10GB of memory used (while loading the last module, it peaked around 11-12GB and then settled down around 9GB).

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 04:57
Maybe there's something wrong with one of those modules...? You could try (with FGU closed) deleting them, run an update (which will re-download them), and try loading them again in a new campaign. Also, make sure you have no extensions loaded at all in that campaign.

Atreides Ghola
October 30th, 2019, 04:59
Tested again - loaded DMG, MM, Saltmarsh, Saltmarsh Players - Memory usage was up to 9 GB. Added the PHB and crashed, screen went black, and had to hard restart. Got to see memory usage spike up to 16GB right before the screen went black.

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 05:06
Tested again - loaded DMG, MM, Saltmarsh, Saltmarsh Players - Memory usage was up to 9 GB. Added the PHB and crashed, screen went black, and had to hard restart. Got to see memory usage spike up to 16GB right before the screen went black.

Shot in the dark here... Does it behave the same way if you're windowed vs. fullscreen? At least then you might have the chance to force FGU to close via Task Manager, rather than having to hard restart your computer. It would be interesting if the behavior was different, though. I had only tried in windowed, so I could easily monitor the process in Task Manager.

Also, with all that loaded in FGU, how much memory was still free/available to your system overall?

pollux
October 30th, 2019, 05:25
I'm not sure there's anything magical about the 7-9GB usage range, I think people are just starting to run out of memory at that point. I have 32GB of ram and I'm able to load without crashing:

All the SRD's
All the basic rules
DM's guide
lmop
mm
phb
PoC
Volo
All the TYP content

Windows 10 Resource monitor shows 28.5GB commit, 20GB Working Set, 44MB shareable, 20GB private for FantasyGrounds.exe. So if you can load the modules individually and also in small sets, I think all that's going on here is that FGU is using a crazy amount of RAM and eventually you're running out... at which point things crash.

Loaded up like that, I can toggle between windowed and full-screen without issues.

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 05:36
I'm not sure there's anything magical about the 7-9GB usage range, I think people are just starting to run out of memory at that point. I have 32GB of ram and I'm able to load without crashing:

All the SRD's
All the basic rules
DM's guide
lmop
mm
phb
PoC
Volo
All the TYP content

Windows 10 Resource monitor shows 28.5GB commit, 20GB Working Set, 44MB shareable, 20GB private for FantasyGrounds.exe. So if you can load the modules individually and also in small sets, I think all that's going on here is that FGU is using a crazy amount of RAM and eventually you're running out... at which point things crash.

Loaded up like that, I can toggle between windowed and full-screen without issues.

Yes, I think you’re right, especially the way I’ve seen FGU’s memory consumption balloon up when opening a module, only to settle down at a lower number after a bit. It’s probably peaking a little too high for some systems. My best guess.

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2019, 06:40
Well, Windows should switch to swap as needed so nobody should run out of usable memory. But it might be when switching to swap that something is causing the crash. Haven't seen such behavior in 15-20 years, but it would be worth watching.

So, if you are crashing, see if FGU crashes when you (almost) run out of physical memory or your paged memory suddenly spikes.

Atreides Ghola
October 30th, 2019, 14:04
I have been able to replicate this on multiple systems now, with RAM 4GB, 16GB, and 32GB. As you're loading modules from the library, RAM usage ramps up until it exceeds the physical memory available, and the program crashes. On the 4GB system (MS Surface), a single .mod loaded up is enough.

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 15:49
I tested with two laptops, both with only 16GB RAM. No crashes yet. I did watch as I opened the last module, the process hit my max memory, the system started using the page file, and FGU continued working happily. Can you check and see if your page file is set up properly in Windows, then reboot and try again? Here's a guide that may help:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html

Atreides Ghola
October 30th, 2019, 15:56
Thanks. My setup is fine.

This is a known issue that's being addressed as high priority, per Doug.

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 16:07
OK. If the pagefile is able to be used, it should act as a workaround for the memory bloat issue until it's fixed by SW. Hopefully that happens soon.

ddavison
October 30th, 2019, 16:51
Thanks for reporting this. We have logged the ticket that is related to higher than expected memory usage in modules leading to crashes. It's a high priority item for us to research and fix.

Athlonis
November 5th, 2019, 02:55
looks like the latest update has fixed this issue. i've loaded the same modules and its only using about 2.5GB memory now.