PDA

View Full Version : Making a Basic Map

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 01:34
This is way to complicated. I just wish to take a map and have it. I drag an image from the Assets window, and the map thinks that it is a token. I cant find how to put an image and make it a map. Why is this so difficult?

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/688291/Basic+Guides

How to make a basic map, no thrills is not in those instructions.

I just wish to add a Map in my image folder, I don't wish to draw it, just a simple map.

seycyrus
October 30th, 2019, 01:54
What format is the map in?

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 01:57
What format is the map in?

jpg

notrealdan
October 30th, 2019, 01:58
Does this guide help you? Look for "See it in action" near the beginning. There's a video there that may help.
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950633/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 02:05
Does this guide help you? Look for "See it in action" near the beginning. There's a video there that may help.
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950633/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM

I drag, but nothing is placed.

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 02:13
You have to press the edit button in the "Images&Maps" folder/banner in the sidebar, then click "New Image"/the plus button. In that new image you drag&drop the assets you want to build your new map with :)

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 02:19
You have to press the edit button in the "Images&Maps" folder/banner in the sidebar, then click "New Image"/the plus button. In that new image you drag&drop the assets you want to build your new map with :)

When I do this it adds a token.

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 02:24
When I do this it adds a token.

it shouldn't, but may seem so: When you add that image then you should see a new layer in the layer list with the same name as your file name :) When you then select that image and move it around (while a grid was already activated or activated before) then it behaves a bit like a token in its movement. But pressing CTRL while you move the image allows you to move it smoothly around to adjust it with more precision :)

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 02:27
Or set the size of your grid back to 0, then it doesn't move like a token anymore :)

Also: The selection of an image/a layer also just looks like a token selection but it isn't :) You can now change images on the fly by moving them, rotating them and so on, therefore you can select them. But when you switch to another mode in the image tools (like playing mode (or you lock the image) as ingame) then you can not accidentally select the image :)

I hope that helps, I know one has to get used to the new capatibilities :)

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 02:38
it shouldn't, but may seem so: When you add that image then you should see a new layer in the layer list with the same name as your file name :) When you then select that image and move it around (while a grid was already activated or activated before) then it behaves a bit like a token in its movement. But pressing CTRL while you move the image allows you to move it smoothly around to adjust it with more precision :)

Not working. Managed this.

ddavison
October 30th, 2019, 02:44
Not working. Managed this.

You appear to have several community extensions loaded that interact with maps. Since these have not been fully tested, can you try closing out, clearing all your extensions and then retrying just the basic map functionality?

1. Open your Assets window
2. Click on the Folder button to open your Data folder
3. Navigate to your campaign’s image folder
4. Place any images you want to use there.
5. Return to the Assets window and change to the Images Mode
6. Locate and open the Campaign folder
8. Open your Images & Maps window and change the group to <New>
9. Drag the images from there to your Images & Maps window

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 02:46
aaaah, thanks for the image: First, turn off all extensions, especially the ones changing anything which has to do with images :) I did not update all my extensions for example, especially the height and overlay extension may cause issues (not sure about that but better turn that off; I will write in my thread about my extensions when I have updated them for FGU :) by the way: You should only load one of the three height extensions, depending on which size you want :P I see that you load all three :D).

Just tested: My height extension does not cause this, but maybe some other. Better turn all extensions off and try again :) my asset window looks different than yours, so there might be some conflict

EDIT: Ah got ninja'd by Doug :D

EDIT: and also btw (in general) the keen extension got incorporated into advanced Pathfinder :) You should not load both together, just advanced pathfinder, otherwise you may get issues (but not related to your issue with images)

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 03:32
Every extension unloaded.

Not working, when I get get a Forbidden icon, a circle with a line through it.

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 03:38
Every extension unloaded.

Not working, when I get get a Forbidden icon, a circle with a line through it.

It is very strange what is happening within your FGU. But what I see: Your asset window and your blank image look very strange (different what I have). But what I also see: You have 3.3.8 versions of the rulesets although FGU uses 3.3.9 versions already in the Live versions. Could it be that you not only copied over your campaign folder but also the ruleset folder of FGC?

If yes, try deleting all rulesets and then run an update :)

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 03:43
or: Did you install the data directory of FGU at the same place as FGC? Make sure you have different directories for both versions, otherwise you will have data corruptions :)

EDIT: You wrote often that you were glad about having backups and I was always wondering why you wrote that because FGC itself is already a backup. So, you installed both in the same directory, isn't it?

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 03:44
It is very strange what is happening within your FGU. But what I see: Your asset window and your blank image look very strange (different what I have). But what I also see: You have 3.3.8 versions of the rulesets although FGU uses 3.3.9 versions already in the Live versions. Could it be that you not only copied over your campaign folder but also the ruleset folder of FGC?

If yes, try deleting all rulesets and then run an update :)

How does one delete rule sets? Will that effect FG Classic?

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 03:46
How does one delete rule sets? Will that effect FG Classic?

go into the ruleset folder of FGU and delete the .pak files there :)

But before you do that: Did you see my edit in the previous message? Could it be that you put both data directories, the FGU and FGC one, into the same folder?

ddavison
October 30th, 2019, 04:00
Yes, the screenshot does not match what it should look like. I see token folders even though you have Images selected on your Assets filter. You should have a campaign folder in the Assets window. You can watch. Video of the entire process in the new FGU wiki linked earlier.

dellanx
October 30th, 2019, 04:03
go into the ruleset folder of FGU and delete the .pak files there :)

But before you do that: Did you see my edit in the previous message? Could it be that you put both data directories, the FGU and FGC one, into the same folder?

That is it. Thanks

Kelrugem
October 30th, 2019, 04:17
That is it. Thanks

ah okay :)

So, FGU is like a new VTT (with some backwards compatibility), you basically now switch to a new vtt and therefore you should not install it in the same directory :) FGU and FGC handle data differently, thus, when you put both into the same file you get a "mixed" version as in your image and therefore nothing works as expected. (that's how I understood that and what your image suggests)

EDIT: Ah, I see your new image edited into your last post. I am glad that you got it sorted :)

Thence, install both into different directories. When you want to test campaigns, extensions etc. then you copy over only the campaign folder, the extensions, modules, tokens (everything which you manually move around, not the ones coming from the updater) :) but only these, not the whole data directories

The problem is: I do not know if one can already deinstall FGU somehow nicely at the moment. To avoid any corruption you should now reinstall both, FGC and FGU (gladly you made backups) :) That should be the cleanest way to resolve this now. Let me know if you can succeed, I had to reinstall FGU once, too, I may be able to tell you what to do exactly (but maybe the deinstalling got already improved). But I hope that Doug or someone else may have better advices on how to solve the problem when one accidentally put both directories together

Grommit57
October 30th, 2019, 19:23
OK, I have been following this one closely. I'm having a lot of the same issues. I can follow the steps given right up to #6.

I don't have a Campaign folder in the Asset / Images window to open.

Data directories are in different locations.

Any help would be appreciated

5e, no ext loaded, just v trying to import a map.

Grommit57
October 30th, 2019, 19:49
Started over.
Create new campaign local/private with pw
5e ruleset, no ext.

I can move files to the images folder within the campaign but I never get a "Campaign" folder in assets / images.

Have I found something weird or am I doing something wrong?

Grommit57
October 30th, 2019, 20:16
Found the problem. Thanks to Celestian .jpg vs .JPG must be lower case. Looks like if it doesn't recognize the file it doesn't create the Campaign folder.

Life's Great here, Everything fine here.

Copernicus219
October 31st, 2019, 00:41
Dropping images onto other images... Was just trying to move the maps into images. Apparently not only does it create your image, it also adds it wherever you drop it.

I also tried to drag and drop images into their own group which does not work. It just adds to the 'all' without a group name.

All titles of images are invisible or extremely small. I was able to type in names of my maps at the top where the map title usually is, but you can't see what you're typing.

Edit:
I keep opening the same image link and it keeps changing the image... sometimes it's just one image, sometimes it's a combination. Very strange.

ddavison
October 31st, 2019, 01:48
Dropping images onto other images... Was just trying to move the maps into images. Apparently not only does it create your image, it also adds it wherever you drop it.

I also tried to drag and drop images into their own group which does not work. It just adds to the 'all' without a group name.

All titles of images are invisible or extremely small. I was able to type in names of my maps at the top where the map title usually is, but you can't see what you're typing.

Edit:
I keep opening the same image link and it keeps changing the image... sometimes it's just one image, sometimes it's a combination. Very strange.

I think this is related to another bug. I believe that Carl has a fix for this submitted that should be updated with a new version once we push it out.