PDA

View Full Version : FGC & Discord? Audio Focus robbed.

Laerun
October 29th, 2019, 23:01
I have noticed that the Unity platform takes focus away from my headset and mic when using Discord with Fantasy Grounds. I have played around with the run as admin settings. If this is going to be an issue for most, we might need to find or use an entirely different communication platform, I noticed the same thing with Alpha as well.

Laerun

LordEntrails
October 29th, 2019, 23:04
You might want to look at the Windows setting that controls window focus. Something like activate window focus with mouse/pointer. I can help you find it if needed.

Laerun
October 29th, 2019, 23:06
You might want to look at the Windows setting that controls window focus. Something like activate window focus with mouse/pointer. I can help you find it if needed.

Yeah, if this does not work this will be very, very bad...For most of the community.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
October 29th, 2019, 23:07

That might be a temporary fix, but it's not a permanent solution.

damned
October 29th, 2019, 23:10
Do NOT run as admin.

Laerun
October 29th, 2019, 23:15
Do NOT run as admin.

Neither apps are, I have tried both, and both not, and it is still taking audio focus away.

Copernicus219
October 30th, 2019, 02:26
Running discord as admin fixed the problem for me.

Laerun
October 30th, 2019, 18:56
Running discord as admin fixed the problem for me.

I will try this method then.

pollux
October 31st, 2019, 03:17
I don't have the discord app installed, but on Windows 10 using the discord webapp through FireFox I'm able to keep a continuous audio check going as I startup FGU and click around in a campaign for a minute. Discord via Firefox does not lose the ability to capture my voice at any point.

Moon Wizard
November 2nd, 2019, 09:53
Thanks for the report. I've filed as FGU-633 to investigate if there is anything specific in the way we use audio that might grab audio focus.

Regards,
JPG

pollux
November 2nd, 2019, 16:39
Is anyone that experiences this issue using push-to-talk?

When I was unable to reproduce the problem, I was NOT using push to talk... so it may be that Discord can use the mic just fine but people are unable to get their push-to-talk input to discord because FGU is taking input control.

Alyksandrei
November 2nd, 2019, 16:57
I was using PTT and had this problem; running Discord as administrator fixed the issue. It seems likely that it's a keyboard-input-stealing issue.

rickyhunt
November 18th, 2019, 03:35
I was having this issue and discovered that if I run Discord before starting FGU, it doesn't break the push to talk. Even if I closed and re-opened Discord, the push to talk still worked. I am prepared to tell my players that every single session. :-)

grimmlock
April 3rd, 2020, 16:30
Looks like this issue is still in existence. I did some experimenting last night, and found some odd functionality.

I own a Razer Naga with the 12 buttons on the side. I am also on a MacBook Pro running macOS 10.15.4. I set my PTT in Discord to be Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Cmd.

I then set the 1 button on the side Number Pad of of my Naga to send that key combination. When I use the mouse, if FGU is in focus, my PTT functionality works as intended.

However, if I press that key combination on my keyboard with FGU in focus, then PTT does not work.

Not sure exactly what this means, to be honest, but it is a little further information.

StoryWeaver
April 3rd, 2020, 17:28
I've heard the same from a few of the people I've been playing with lately that are using push to talk in discord. When FGU is in the forefront (has focus), discord no longer responds to the push to talk button. So they think they're talking but are muted, until they bring discord to the forefront.

FGC on the other hand doesn't do that.

While I don't know the exact keys they used, one of them used a mouse button for push to talk, and another one had a key on the keyboard.

Copernicus219
April 3rd, 2020, 20:20
I've heard the same from a few of the people I've been playing with lately that are using push to talk in discord. When FGU is in the forefront (has focus), discord no longer responds to the push to talk button. So they think they're talking but are muted, until they bring discord to the forefront.

FGC on the other hand doesn't do that.

While I don't know the exact keys they used, one of them used a mouse button for push to talk, and another one had a key on the keyboard.

Run discord as an administrator corrects the problem.

LordOfPandemonium
April 9th, 2020, 03:30
I can say that also had this issue. Running Discord as an admin myself seemed to work, but others running as an Admin did not. Also, running as admin is not really a viable long term solution.