PDA

View Full Version : Unreasonably high GPU load while running Updater

TheSlowestZombie
October 29th, 2019, 22:43
Scanned through the known issues and other threads and didn't see this called out.
While the updater was running after a brand new/first install, it's using on average about 95% of my GPU. The GPU usage caused my system fans to kick into max speed and doing other tasks including browsing websites with Chrome seemed slow and bottlenecked by GPU. CPU and Memory report around 30% utilized. Power usage for the updater is listed as "Very high". The only other apps I have that use 3D GPU stuff are Slack, iTunes, and Chrome.

I'm running a Dell Precision 5520, with an Intel HD 630 and a Quadro M1200.

I've also installed on a desktop PC, and I recall similar behavior there but didn't pay attention to it at the time.
My hope is that the updater tool can/will be optimized to have little to no GPU usage (and light to moderate power usage) when running. Download speeds seem somewhat throttled server side, which is fine, but should mean even lower or less aggressive local system resources required.

Moon Wizard
October 31st, 2019, 23:44
Thanks for reporting. I've filed as task FGU-613 to investigate. We probably won't be looking at performance improvements right away; so this is something we'll look at down the line.

Regards,
JPG