PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Unity new install has fatal error when starting

Tuendal
October 29th, 2019, 22:18
So i downloaded the beta client, installed it, updated the license, ran the updater to load any new licensed content, it looked like the updated may have crashed because it closed out without bringing me to back to the start screen.

when i click on the desktop icon to start the application i get the following

"Failed to load mono"

Running Windows 10 with 16gb of ram (so don't think it's a memory issue).

looking in the log from the updater, see some issues where it couldn't delete some items.

ARGS:
CheckNewUpdater(): True
RUNNING AS FantasyGroundsUpdater_OLD.exe
New Updater Valid: True
Replace with new updater
DELETE L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
Recursive Delete: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine
Deleting parent L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine
Could not delete parent: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine
Could not delete file: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine\FGUpdaterEngine.exe
Could not delete file: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine\UnityCrashHandler64.exe
Could not delete file: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine\UnityPlayer.dll
Problem Deleting Dir: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine\FGUpdaterEngine_Data
Problem Deleting Dir: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine\MonoBleedingEdge
RecursiveCopy: L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW - L:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\

Tuendal
October 29th, 2019, 22:23
i drilled into the folder structure and ran the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe instead of using the desktop icon, and it appears to be re-running the updater and downloading the objects again...will see if that works .

LordEntrails
October 29th, 2019, 23:09
If you still have trouble, make sure you have permissions to that folder.

Tuendal
November 14th, 2019, 15:09
Ok, sorry meant to follow up on this but was out of town for work for a bit. So i've encountered this issue a handful of times. Here is the scenario as i have hit it.

Launch Fantasy Grounds from shortcut on desktop.
Updater screen loads, run update, update crashes.

Attempt to launch Fantasy Grounds from shortcut on desktop. get the error "Failed to load mono"

Open up directory where it is installed. Run the "fantasygroundsupdater.exe" without the shortcut, updater will launch and let me update normally.

So there seems to be something with the way the updater is generating the _new _old files that if it fails the shortcut on the desktop looses it's mind till the updater is ran from the core directory and finishes updating properly.

Moon Wizard
November 16th, 2019, 07:24
Thanks for the follow-up information. I've filed as FGU-722 for Ryan to check out when he switches back to updater work. (Currently, he's working on Mac build.)

Regards,
JPG