PDA

View Full Version : window pop out

Omnipotron
October 29th, 2019, 22:11
What I dislike most about using Classic is losing windows behind other windows. Does Unity have or plan to have better window management via pop out of windows? Perhaps even so they create another item on the desktop task bar?

I'm guessing "no" because if Unity is for game development then I don't suppose it's anticipated for games to present more windows on the desktop.

kicks07
October 29th, 2019, 22:16
I believe they had some engine limitations with creating windows that could pop out (they were specifically addressing the issue with multi-monitors). I do wonder though if they could build a way for it to be maximized (full screened) across multiple monitors though to at least let us maximize play space to help with the window situation.

Zacchaeus
October 29th, 2019, 22:21
Welcome both of you to FG.

The 'windows' in FG aren't really windows but rather a template so they don't work like normal windows. There are no plans currently that I'm aware of to change how these work in Unity. Such things are ruleset based (in other words it's the ruleset that defines and works them) so changes such as that would need to be compatible with classic as well. There is almost zero chance of being able to detach a window from within FG since there isn't the support for it in Unity and it would cause a considerable rewrite of the entire codebase to implement.

LordEntrails
October 29th, 2019, 23:11
Note, depending upon your graphics driver, it may support maximizing applications across multiple monitors. That is really a graphics driver/windows issue and probably not FG specific.