PDA

View Full Version : Imported Fantasy Grounds Classic Campaign Crash

BlazingAzureCrow
October 29th, 2019, 03:56
I looked to see if anyone else had posted about this but didn't see anything. When I try to open a campaign I moved over from Fantasy Grounds Classic folder the game will crash before opening it properly. This is true when I'm not using any extensions, and while there are extensive amounts of custom NPCs, items, etc they're all made within the system's normal parameters. Is there a reason this might be happening/has anyone else had this problem?

deer_buster
October 29th, 2019, 04:02
Best to start with a blank campaign and add your stuff back in...IMHO

BlazingAzureCrow
October 29th, 2019, 04:04
That's the obvious solution, but would be a tad extensive for what we have to do. Might end up being the only choice but I'm kinda banking on the idea of old FGC assets being plugged into FGU. If anyone finds a solution or the reason for the crashing I'd be very happy to hear it.

Gezzer
October 29th, 2019, 05:22
I'd suspect that some of the config commands contained in the xml files have changed from classic to Unity and that's why it's crashing

I did some checking and yes it's a xml file problem. What I can't say. I did notice that some of the classic xml files are encoded using iso-8859-1 while all the unity xml files use UTF-8. What this means I don't really know TBH. But I know for certain that something in the classic xml files is what's causing the crash.

Forecaster
October 29th, 2019, 11:06
This happened to me as well, I was hoping to be able to just copy things over. I'm going to try converting my files to UTF-8 later and see if that helps.

DingoSoulEater
October 29th, 2019, 11:13
IF it's giving you an error report you can share it might help diagnose the issues as well. I know at least in one ruleset, GURPS, there's an error in the XML itself that FG Classic doesn't care about but FGU won't tolerate (a comment marked incorrectly as a parameter)

Forecaster
October 29th, 2019, 11:24
I've not seen an error report, windows just presents an "this application has stopped working" popup and then it crashes to desktop

Zacchaeus
October 29th, 2019, 11:41
Not all rulesets have been tested with Unity.

Forecaster
October 29th, 2019, 11:44
Not all rulesets have been tested with Unity.

My campaign is 5e, and I can load the demo campaign fine, so something is apparently wrong in the campaign itself

The Hawk and Sparrow
October 29th, 2019, 12:14
I have a 5 year campaign that I am going to begin porting over. I'll share my experience as well if / when it might benefit the group. Reading other posts now prior to diving in. Let's do this! Cheers.

Patou
October 29th, 2019, 13:48
I've also had this occur. I'll copy my image files to the new campaign.

I noticed that the new image files from the module in Unity once you opened the module are DM Map only. Is that normal?

Damathacus
October 29th, 2019, 13:51
My old camping that I tried to import to the FGU crashes too. I tried make a new camping with the same modules and it worked just fine. After doing some testing it seems that the crash is somehow related to the db.xml file in the camping's folder.

StoryWeaver
October 29th, 2019, 14:36
Same here. I'm able to run the D&D 5E demo campaign and new campaigns.
However trying a couple of my current 5E campaigns, FGU will spend some time on the loading screen, then the unity error report window will pop up and the game will crash when it's done.

Haven't had enough time to figure out if and where the error log from that goes if any. Unless its just in the default log file, in which case that might give us some clue to what's going wrong.

Converting to UTF-8 to get access to modern character sets is a good move. If anyone knows what changes are needed to older db.xml files to work in FGU by all means chime in. : )

ddavison
October 29th, 2019, 14:41
Please note that the Beta is for testing only. We don't recommend moving your campaign to FGU to start running there at this time. It is okay to do so for test purposes, though.

This is something we want to support, so if your campaign is small enough, we may ask for a copy of it to be sent to us via dropbox so we can test it locally. Once we identify and fix FGU for one or two of these, hopefully it will address it for everyone else before actual launch in December.

Forecaster
October 29th, 2019, 17:02
I'm only doing it to test (can't really do anything until the campaign loads can I?)

I've been prodding it for the last half hour since I came home from work, and I've tried deleting various files, and changing the encoding of the xml files.

So far, changing the encoding took me from FGU locking up immidiately (with only the logo splash screen visible in a small window), to the same window, but with a console appearing with a few warnings in it:

https://i.imgur.com/108VtJZ.png

The campaign in question is a very small one where I've played through the Death Knight's Squire (a solo adventure). It has no images and only two characters and hardly anything else. (There's some things in the party sheet as well)

I've attached a zip file with this campaign to this post. (Uncompressed is 284 KB)

notrealdan
October 29th, 2019, 17:13
One of my FGC campaigns opened just fine in FGU, while another crashed FGU to the desktop. They're both 5e campaigns that have been going on for months and months, so they have a lot of "stuff" in them. I have no idea what is different about them that would trigger a crash. If SW want some comparison testing done, I'd be happy to help where I can. I imagine there could be a million reasons why a campaign from FGC could crash FGU at this point, however...

jadedragonette
October 29th, 2019, 21:54
I have had no issues with importing in my Out of the Abyss campaign from Classic, though it's mostly in the module - however, I have noted that it takes a long time for the campaign to load, and it spikes up to more than 8GB memory usage. I know this is early beta and that part of the risk of that is that it's definitely a memory hog as it currently stands so I'm not worried about it at this point - that said, is it possible it's trying to use too many computer resources on your end and crashing because it can't get them?

Also, as has been stated earlier in the thread, some campaigns seem to be throwing xml-related errors and causing this crash - that's about all the specifics that I personally know.

Moon Wizard
October 31st, 2019, 22:48
If you are getting crashes for existing FGC campaigns copied to FGU, we will be starting to look at those in detail next week. I'm still working on getting all the issues documented, recreated, questions asked, and so on. Luckily, Carl and Ryan are still working on certain issues in the background while I get this fun job. ;)

If you have a problem campaign, please zip up the campaign folder and provide us a link to download. You can use DropBox, Google Drive, or the download service of your choice.

Regards,
JPG

Honken
October 31st, 2019, 23:00
I have tried to copy 2 campaigns over and both crashed, one was PFRPG 2, and the other was PFRPG. I did it to see if it worked.

/H

Moon Wizard
October 31st, 2019, 23:26
@Forecaster,

I tried opening your MySinglePlayerAdventure campaign on my machine with the latest build; and I didn't have any crashes. I don't have your full environment though, since you have several modules loaded that I don't have (Death Indicator Tokens, Detailed Gems, The Death Knight's Squire, Themera, VeX's Trinket Horde). The only thing that I can think of is that it is related to one of these modules, or perhaps custom images/tokens in the root FGU data folder.

Could you send me an email to [email protected] referencing this post; and including a copy of those modules?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 31st, 2019, 23:27
@Honken,

As I mentioned, I need to be able to recreate the scenario to see what the problem is, since everyone's campaigns are very unique. If you can package up the campaign folder and send to me like Forecaster did (as well as provide links to any custom modules); I can look into what caused the crash.

Regards,
JPG

The Hawk and Sparrow
October 31st, 2019, 23:29
I had to create a new campaign. PCs came over well. But then all 8 RAM, got used up. I took screenshots of my resources as I updated then launched everything.

H2Os
November 2nd, 2019, 18:47
I am unable to get my Saltmarsh campaign to open inside of FGU. I removed all the ext. except the locations and organizations. as well as the base for that. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-w1pixwka9rbUBJTM3o9Thdi2qoYfd8a

Moon Wizard
November 4th, 2019, 07:17
The issue is most likely that you have 51 modules open in this campaign. We are currently aware of memory issues with modules, such that the client can not support very many modules at this point. If you still want to try opening this campaign, delete the modulestate.xml in the COPY of the campaign that you have in the FGU data folder (emphasis on COPY). This will reset the loaded modules list.

Regards,
JPG