PDA

View Full Version : How to create a hyperlink in FG

Pentazer
October 20th, 2019, 17:11
I took at look at this thread: https://svn.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40836-how-do-you-put-a-website-link-that-works-into-ta-module
And it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. I want to create weblinks to my online home brew wiki for this campaign so that players can reference the encyclopedia that's already there instead of me having to rewrite the whole thing. I tried putting the URL in a chat frame as describe and it outputs the to the chat a (LINK) but you can't use it. Clicking it does nothing.

Is there any way to create an external hyperlink so that a person can just click the URL tag and it'll open their browser and go to the page?

EDIT: I should point out that I know nothing about XML editing so when they talk about going to some...patchnote xml file I don't follow what they're getting at. I just want to be able to create a functioning link inside FG.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2019, 17:26
Yep, sorry, as mentioned in that thread you're going to have to go and edit some XML. Like I said here: https://svn.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40836-how-do-you-put-a-website-link-that-works-into-ta-module&p=362508&viewfull=1#post362508

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2019, 17:40
This works for me. I know it's not a hyperlink but it does do 'something'.

LordEntrails
October 20th, 2019, 18:24
You can also look to use the community DOE: OLE Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34735-DOE-OLE-Extension)

Mirloc
October 21st, 2019, 18:31
I have to say I second Entrails on this one, DOE is a HUGE time saver once it's set up. The key is to spend the time setting up the core world and then templating the campaign. I have one set up for each of the three worlds I run games in (Norrath, Gamma World, and the Shadow Lands), the base campaign files are zipped and saved in 3 locations, when I start a new campaign, I decompress the world campaign files, make any changes I want based on the particular campaign and then start the live game using the 'world' campaign file.

This also means I can zip up the campaign and re-visit it later on, it also means I can have 2 campaigns running in the same world, literally at the same 'time'. I've done it once with a 'good' group and an 'evil' group without the DOE, there's no way I could have managed the notes from two completely independent groups working against one another nearly as efficiently.

dulux-oz
October 22nd, 2019, 02:12
Although Mirloc was talking mainly about other Extensions in the DOE Suite of Extensions (thanks for the plug, Mirloc), Lord E is correct (thanks as well), the DOE:OLE was designed specifically to enable "Hyperlinks" to any URL (actually, any URI, to be technically correct). :)

Its exactly what you need.

Bundy
April 26th, 2020, 14:13
Not sure if this has been solved in another thread but if you’re still looking to add hyperlinks into your fantasy ground content you can do it this way.
1. Type or paste the link into a window 34415

2. Change the paragraph type to ‘chat’ 34416

3. Click the speech bubble to send it to the chat window 34417

4. Drag the dragon symbol from the chat window back to your text window 34418

5. Clean it up and whala! 34419

superteddy57
April 26th, 2020, 19:18
Nice work around!

Milmoor
June 12th, 2020, 17:18
Thanks, that's really helpful.

Krezscent
June 14th, 2020, 15:39
I made recordings of all my NPC's voices and put them in a Google drive folder. Then I made links as you describe above in each of the NPC's character sheets. It works great for reminding me how each NPC sounds. Thanks!

Bundy
June 19th, 2020, 10:50
That's an awesome idea @Krezscent. I'm gonna steal that! :)

TheDarkMantle
August 1st, 2020, 16:09
�� That chat bubble link idea works great! Just had to say thanks!

Dmrubel
January 31st, 2021, 13:15
This works perfectly for https links, but for some reason I cannot get it to work with file links as so many people have mentioned they can do online. Has something changed in Fantasy Grounds Unity that prevents using file links? When I click the chat bubble with https links it creates the link in the chat window but when I click the chat bubble with a file link it simply echoes the contents to the chat window instead of converting it to a link as shown in the attached image. Anyone else having this problem?

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2021, 16:12
I don't think this has ever worked to link files. It only works for web links.

Dmrubel
January 31st, 2021, 17:09
I don't think this has ever worked to link files. It only works for web links.

Thank you for the reply. Google returns lots of links (mostly older) claiming you can use file:// URLs to link to local documents in Fantasy Grounds but I have been unable to get it to work in Unity. Guess the old adage is true, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. :)

Dmrubel
January 31st, 2021, 17:18
In case anyone could suggest a different approach. I am trying to find a way to link to PDFs I own that have additional content for adventures I have purchased. For example, in Tomb of Annihilation i would like to update story entry 02.41 Shilku to link to the Secrets of Shilku PDF by Eventyr Games that I purchased from DMSguild.

Dmrubel
January 31st, 2021, 17:31
One approach I find I CAN use is to upload the documents to Dropbox. I can then create a link in Dropbox that can be used in Fantasy Grounds. Not ideal but at least it is a way to add reminders of additional content I have available at appropriate places in the story entries.

LordEntrails
January 31st, 2021, 21:17
There used to be an extension that would allow any type or URI as a link, but it's was obsoleted some time ago and is no longer available.

ColinONE
May 12th, 2023, 12:29
This works for me. I know it's not a hyperlink but it does do 'something'.

Putting the URL in a chat format and dragging it to the chat box makes the link(s) usable. Thank you!