PDA

View Full Version : Core Rulebook Module unloads

TrentLane
October 19th, 2019, 19:18
Something strange has been happening in our 2E game. For some reason, occasionally the CRB gets unloaded for some people, but not everybody. Happened in several sessions now, and always for different people, and I can't figure out what the issue is.

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2019, 19:38
Can you expand on what you mean by 'unloaded'?

TrentLane
October 19th, 2019, 19:47
Can you expand on what you mean by 'unloaded'?

Having to redownload the complete CRB from the Module section again, although having loaded it before .

esmdev
October 19th, 2019, 19:58
Is it possible that it is being downloaded due to an update? I have this with some of my players. If they own the book in question then it will be updated in the standard weekly software update. If they do not then the book gets updated when they connect to the GM host computer.

TrentLane
October 19th, 2019, 20:15
Is it possible that it is being downloaded due to an update? I have this with some of my players. If they own the book in question then it will be updated in the standard weekly software update. If they do not then the book gets updated when they connect to the GM host computer.

I doubt it, since only our GM has the book, but it doesn't need to be reloaded for everybody. Last session, about 2 weeks ago, 2 out of 4 players had to reload. Tonight everybody had to reload.
It also doesn't happen in the 1E game I host where I'm also the only one owning the books

EDIT: Just realized I also had to reload the "2.0 Action Library", and I know our GM hasn't updated that module

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2019, 21:12
If a shared module gets updated then I'm pretty sure that the players would need to download the update otherwise they will be out of sync with the DM's copy.

UltimateGM
October 20th, 2019, 15:21
I've been having the same thing happen. The last session, we play every Saturday, when I would drop spells from the crb into the chat window so people could see them a player couldn't get it to open. So I navigated them to the library modules area and had them load the crb. Then the following week it started happening again. After getting them to go back into the modules area and reload it everything worked. I didn't bother reporting it since I figured maybe he was unloading the module at the end of the session.

TrentLane
October 20th, 2019, 15:26
If a shared module gets updated then I'm pretty sure that the players would need to download the update otherwise they will be out of sync with the DM's copy.

I'd agree with that if it was the same for all players. But it only happened to half the players, except yesterdays game. Even in that case it seems really inconvenient to completely unload the module and redownload all of it again when just a few things changed.
Our GM doesn't have the best internet connection, so reloading the complete crb took nearly an hour for 5 players, and we even staggered our downloads to max 2 persons the same time

Trenloe
October 20th, 2019, 16:21
This isn't any particular to the Pathfinder 2.0 (PFRPG2) ruleset, but FG in general. Updated modules need to be completely re-downloaded from the GM if the player doesn't have their own updated copy downloaded locally. I doubt if this process will change in FG Classic, so we're pretty much stuck with it I'm afraid.

The thing that can make it seem very long is how much and how complex the XML is within the module. For the Pathfinder Second Edition Core Rules there is a lot of XML records with fairly complex XML. Each player needs to re-download the XML, process it, encrypt the data and then save to the local cache file. This can take a long time and during this time it appears that the module has been closed - the data isn't available and the book icon isn't open.

I've described the download process here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51332-Pathfinder-Ultimate-Equipment-Guide-not-loading&p=456865&viewfull=1#post456865 The same thing will occur for updated modules. For the PF2 Core Rules the file name stored locally in the player cache is "Pathfinder Second Edition Core Rules.dat" and is about 18-19 MB in total size (maybe stopping at 16 MB).

The main thing to check with each player - do they have "Cross-platform compatibility for Linux and Mac" enabled in their FG settings?

Also, check how much CPU FantasyGrounds.exe is using on the player side during the re-download/save process. I see this maxing out a CPU during my testing - i.e. I have 4 CPUs and the CPU use for FantasyGrounds.exe is shown as 25% - maxing out a single CPU.

Bidmaron
October 20th, 2019, 23:37
Don’t think you want cross platform enabled. His earlier post says that but this makes it sound like you want it enabled. Or am I misremembering the earlier post?
Edited: the setting should be off. Sorry for any confusion but Trenloe post referenced an earlier excellent post that concludes it should be off. The most recent post is not clear that the setting should be off.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2019, 23:38
Don’t think you want cross platform enabled. His earlier post says that but this makes it sound like you want it enabled. Or am I misremembering the earlier post?
This is a very confusing post... Which posts are you referring to? Who is "you" and who is "him"?