PDA

View Full Version : Map won't load

spoonhead
October 15th, 2019, 20:28
Just playing a game and the DM loaded a new map. For me the map remains grey, even though I can see our tokens. I've cleared the cache, and restarted my PC. The DM has unshared the maps and restarted FG. I've gone back in and the map still won't load. He then shared another map, and that one does load. All other players in the game, do see the map properly. The DM tried unmasking, but still no change. The map is from Yawning Portal, so can't be altered by the DM.

Any ideas?

spoonhead
October 15th, 2019, 20:31
This what the other players see.29411

Zacchaeus
October 15th, 2019, 21:02
How much memory is FG using when you are joined to the DM's game? Also how much memory is the DM using when FG is running?

spoonhead
October 15th, 2019, 21:10
How do I check?

spoonhead
October 15th, 2019, 21:14
Under task manager processes - 571.6mb

Zacchaeus
October 15th, 2019, 21:19
And the DM?

Trenloe
October 15th, 2019, 21:30
This looks like the whole image is masked. Probably related to the player either not downloading the mask file or some local file issues.

On the player side, open the FG console (type /console in the chat window) and see if you get any warnings like the ones in this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50454-Issues-with-players-seeing-Map&p=451115&viewfull=1#post451115 Close the map and ask the GM to re-share - see if there are any warnings.

spoonhead
October 15th, 2019, 21:38
DM has gone out now. Will have a look tomorrow.

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 09:34
Not had a chance to fix yet, but will report back. BTW, this has happened in all 3 games I am a player with different DMs. The first I was able to sort by clearing the cache. The second is only happening when the DM shares artwork, rather than maps (so far), and the 3rd is as reported here. This has happened only in the last month so whether it was introduced as part of 3.3.8 or not I don't know.

LiamBlack
October 17th, 2019, 10:27
Has this or a similar problem occurred before? It seems to me that something is wrong with the file.

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 10:35
Has this or a similar problem occurred before? It seems to me that something is wrong with the file.

It is this one file in the one game, but other players are seeing it fine, so just me. But if it is happening in other games, then it must be more than that? It might well be my side, but need to find out.

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 11:41
OK. Have logged onto the campaign where creature images are not loading.

We have narrowed it down to only creatures/NPC images loaded from MM remain grey. All other images from the module ToA, Volo and a map from GTW loaded perfectly.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2019, 11:43
The images in the Monster Manual were recently updated; so it is possible that if an image was shared before the update then it will need to be unshared and then the new image shared. Other than that I can't think of any particular reason why only certain images won't load.

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 11:51
The images in the Monster Manual were recently updated; so it is possible that if an image was shared before the update then it will need to be unshared and then the new image shared. Other than that I can't think of any particular reason why only certain images won't load.

These were new shares 30 minutes ago unfortunately.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2019, 12:33
Have you done what Trenloe suggested in post #7 above?

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 12:51
Have you done what Trenloe suggested in post #7 above?

Damn I forgot about the /Console command, but did do a permissions repair. Ran out of time on the port forwarding.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2019, 12:57
Only the DM needs to be concerned with port forwarding and since you can join his game that isn't an issue here.

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 13:03
In all 3 campaigns, it is only me that is getting the problem, so if I were to do a complete clean and re-install, what folders do I need to keep as I also DM myself? Would it be the campaign, extension and modules folders? Or could the campaign folde also be corrupt? Would it matter if I deleted the campaign folders that I play in and just rejoin as a new player?

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2019, 13:13
Reinstalling will not help at all with an issue like this, so it isn't worth doing.

You can reinstall without doing anything to the FGData folders but you should back up the campaign folders just in case (Reinstalling FG won't touch those folders).

As a player the only file which is of relevance is the cache folder. You won't have a campaign folder for the campaigns you play in. As a DM your campaign folder contains all of your campaign data. You don't have a cache folder for your DM games.

Your issue is tied to something on your machine or possible the DM machine which is preventing things from downloading correctly. Usually clearing the cache will sort such issues out if a file has been corrupted or some such. Permissions issues are another possibility; the map being too big is another, running out of memory is also possible. Anti virus or malware software might be the issue; could be a setting on either your or your DMs router such as excessive flood protection or parental control.

If this issue is happening in a new campaign with nothing shared except a few images then it is something to do with AV or the router most likely. Additionally since it is only happening to you and not other players that almost certainly points to an issue on your machine rather than anything else.

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 13:38
Thank you.

I've logged onto the tables using different routers/internet providers, so I'm not sure that it would be router issues? I've been playing for about a year, and this has just started happening, so might be machine related. I'm running Win 10 via a bootcamp partition on my Mac. Macs are pretty good at running Windows, but might add in a complication, but for all intents and purposes, it's a windows machine. Hardware is no different really.

I suppose a complete install of windows might sort it, but that's pretty drastic. I'll follow up on this over the weekend.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2019, 14:43
@spoonhead - do you have "Cross-platform compatibility for Linux and Mac" enabled in your FG settings? I noticed recently on my test computer that having that enabled significantly increased download times for shared data.

spoonhead
October 17th, 2019, 16:22
@spoonhead - do you have "Cross-platform compatibility for Linux and Mac" enabled in your FG settings? I noticed recently on my test computer that having that enabled significantly increased download times for shared data.

I thought I had, but no, it's not checked.

spoonhead
October 18th, 2019, 18:42
Just joined the table with the problem map. Map has been un shared, unmasked, and re shared. Image remains completely grey, with just the tokens showing.

LordEntrails
October 18th, 2019, 18:56
Just joined the table with the problem map. Map has been un shared, unmasked, and re shared. Image remains completely grey, with just the tokens showing.
How about other images? Did you clear your player cache before joining the campaign?

spoonhead
October 18th, 2019, 19:04
Memory usage me: 613mb
DM 1GB

Both run restore permissions
Still no good

spoonhead
October 18th, 2019, 19:05
How about other images? Did you clear your player cache before joining the campaign?

Other images fine

spoonhead
October 18th, 2019, 19:12
No errors on the console either

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2019, 19:23
Interestingly I had an issue during my last game where a map wouldn't load for my players. Eventually I have to get them all to clear their caches, I flushed my database and once that was done and we all reconnected the issue was resolved and the map loaded fine.

Firts issue I have ever had with FG in five years.

spoonhead
October 18th, 2019, 19:46
Interestingly I had an issue during my last game where a map wouldn't load for my players. Eventually I have to get them all to clear their caches, I flushed my database and once that was done and we all reconnected the issue was resolved and the map loaded fine.

Firts issue I have ever had with FG in five years.

How did you flush your database?

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2019, 19:57
DM only type /flushdb in chat and press return.

Note this clears all shared material

LordEntrails
October 18th, 2019, 23:34
Or, if it is homebrew, the DM can delete the image from his campaign, and then ad the image/map under a new name and share that. See if that fixes the problem. And you did verify the image size right? That's is an acceptable file size and pixel size right?

spoonhead
October 18th, 2019, 23:39
It's a map from the Yawning Portal Mod. All other players can see the map.

LordEntrails
October 18th, 2019, 23:41
Did you clear your player cache before joining his game. I don't see an answer that you did that. (Maybe I missed?)

spoonhead
October 18th, 2019, 23:51
I did. About 20 times so far :)

spoonhead
October 22nd, 2019, 13:37
Still not worked. There is something definitely wrong. This is what I get after all the tricks suggested.

I just right clicked the map and chose original size. It just won't go to the proper size. It is Dungeon-Players 3 from Yawning Portal White Plume Mountain module.

The other 3 players don't get this problem, it is only me.

Here's a screen grab when I choose adjust vertical

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2019, 14:14
Couple of things:

1) post a list of all of the extensions the GM has loaded.
2) do you have another computer you can test on?
3) go into the <FG app data>\cache directory and delete just the directory for the campaign in question. Make sure this campaign cache directory is completely deleted. Then try again.

Zacchaeus
October 22nd, 2019, 14:43
Can you also ask your DM to flush their database. As I noted above I have had an issue with a single map in DotMM where some of my players were able to download and see the map without issue but some were getting weirdness. Nuking the player cache did not solve the issue nor did unsharing and re-sharing the map. Only when I flushed my database and had the players also clear their cache did the problem resolve.

spoonhead
October 22nd, 2019, 15:31
Couple of things:

1) post a list of all of the extensions the GM has loaded.
2) do you have another computer you can test on?
3) go into the <FG app data>\cache directory and delete just the directory for the campaign in question. Make sure this campaign cache directory is completely deleted. Then try again.

I have just tested it on another computer (actually an external drive with Win10 installed) and booted with that, and have loaded the campaign, and all is good. I hope.

spoonhead
October 22nd, 2019, 15:33
Can you also ask your DM to flush their database. As I noted above I have had an issue with a single map in DotMM where some of my players were able to download and see the map without issue but some were getting weirdness. Nuking the player cache did not solve the issue nor did unsharing and re-sharing the map. Only when I flushed my database and had the players also clear their cache did the problem resolve.

Yeah, THe DM has donne that a few times, but still the weirdness, but see my other reply where it seems to have been resolved with anther computer (kind of).

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2019, 15:54
I have just tested it on another computer (actually an external drive with Win10 installed) and booted with that, and have loaded the campaign, and all is good. I hope.

OK, cool. Can you try on the original computer, but do these two things:

1) Without FG running, delete just the directory with the campaign name from <FG app data>\cache - and make sure it is completely deleted.
2) Join your GMs game, but on the "Join Game" screen use a different player name to connect. The GM will have to clear ownership of your PC.

The reason I suggest #2 is that I noticed from the cut-off screenshots that there are a lot of extensions loaded and one of these is by (or based on code by) "lokiare1". The main extension that I know of that he's written is the Window Saver extension that saves details of the window in the campaign database. This uses the player name to store data and control window opening/closing via the extension.

If joining as a different player name doesn't change anything, ask your GM to remove all but the most essential extensions. And by *essential* I mean things that you absolutely can't play without - not nice to have extensions. In theory this should actually be all extensions, but there may be some data that the GM needs to run the game that relies on the use of an extension. If you can, to test, remove all extensions.

spoonhead
October 22nd, 2019, 16:25
I've certainly done both 1 & 2 before, but no harm in trying again. Might not have time before the game starts to test without extensions, but will have a go. My GM is being very patient.

spoofer
October 23rd, 2019, 12:16
I just had this problem. Clearing the cache and rejoining worked for me.

Jingo
December 21st, 2019, 21:40
Sorry Posted in wrong thread. Not sure how to delete my post.

spoofer
December 22nd, 2019, 00:39
I just had this problem. Clearing the cache and rejoining worked for me.

I can consistently reproduce and fix this problem. There may be other causes and there may be other fixes. But here is what I have learned. The DM can cause this problem by sharing a map, then editing the map in an art program. The process of editing the jpeg file seems to mess things up. I sometimes change up a map as the party approaches a section and I realize that I want to do things slightly differently.

The players can fix this problem by clearing their cache at the join game screen. So now if I edit the map, I just tell my players to clear their cache before joining and everything runs smoothly.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2019, 01:57
If you edit an image that you have already saved to FG, then do not change the image resolution (i.e. number of pixels). Doing so will cause problems because FG reads the number of pixels (1056 x 1820 or wehatever) when the image is first added, but does not recalulate it later on. So mask, window size etc will be messed up if you change image resolution. Also, if you edit an image after it has been shared, you will need to unshare and reshare it. Again, the image will now be in the players local cache and FG won't know to re-download it.

Or, if you do edit it, give it a new name and you won;' have a problem.

dellanx
December 22nd, 2019, 04:30
Have they tried deleting their cache? Then you remove the fog of war again?