PDA

View Full Version : Where is the love for Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPG?

FunkenGruven
October 15th, 2019, 19:32
This is a popular system with new material still currently being released, yet there is nothing on here except fan made mods.

Why no official support on Fantasy Grounds for this system?

midas
October 15th, 2019, 19:36
Official support involves licensing deals with the owner of the property. Typically, lack of an official ruleset (especially for a popular system) indicates the lack of a desire on the part of the company holding the copyright to license out to Smiteworks.

Star Wars may have its own particulars as there are two licenses that would need to be worked out--one with Disney and one with FFG.

ddavison
October 15th, 2019, 19:40
We would love to have official support. Licensing of anything for Star Wars is going to be very difficult to obtain though. FFG has a license for Star Wars for tabletop games. They would have to be able to sub-license it to us and that is not likely. Aside from this, it crosses too close to video games and those licenses are already granted to other companies for Star Wars. They would also have to be okay with it and an ability to approve it. It's a licensing nightmare.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2019, 19:50
Yeah, it's a licensing nightmare - FFG are extremely limited in what they can put on a computer - they can't even release PDFs of their commercial Star Wars RPG products, only a few free starter scenarios.

viresanimi
October 15th, 2019, 19:52
If you can make Disney understand that PDF's and VTT's are NOT computer games, so stuff can be made, you will be a hero around here for sure. Yes. Licencing can get stupid.

ddavison
October 16th, 2019, 01:32
If you can make Disney understand that PDF's and VTT's are NOT computer games, so stuff can be made, you will be a hero around here for sure. Yes. Licencing can get stupid.

I live near Disney World and my stock portfolio is heavy on Disney stock... I wonder if they would meet with me. I'm a super fan! :D

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2019, 01:49
I live near Disney World and my stock portfolio is heavy on Disney stock... I wonder if they would meet with me. I'm a super fan! :D

I guarantee you that once you get 50% of the common stock the CEO will meet with you, or anybody else you want.

ddavison
October 16th, 2019, 02:56
I guarantee you that once you get 50% of the common stock the CEO will meet with you, or anybody else you want.

Sooooooo close. Hah!

FunkenGruven
October 16th, 2019, 19:37
That's unfortunate to hear.

If they would only see the potential with FG. It would make their system even more popular and increase sales.

Thanks for the detailed answers, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Cheers.

Trenloe
October 16th, 2019, 19:49
[QUOTE=FunkenGruven;456982]If they would only see the potential with FG. It would make their system even more popular and increase sales.[\QUOTE]
As mentioned above - the issue isn't with FFG - they don't have a license to product material on a computer. Their Genesys rules system (very similar to SW) has PDF's because it is their own system and their own intellectual property without any other licensees to worry about. In theory, if FFG and SmiteWorks get an agreement, a Genesys ruleset and modules could be made for Fantasy Grounds.