PDA

View Full Version : Nesting Story Elements - Is it possible?

sloejack
November 6th, 2006, 17:36
Greetings all, I've been mulling something over for a day now with no solution that immediately came to mind.

The problem is that story elements auto sort themselves alphabetically. I guess this wouldn't be so bad if I numbered each element so that the prefix would keep things in the right order but that's kind of tacky and annoying. What I'm trying to figure out is if it is possible to group multiple elements under a single element?

As an example of what I'm talking about concider this scenario, I have two towns (Town A and Town B) and in each town I have various buildings, encounters, etc. I want to be able to create the location entries in my story without having to prefix the entries with names or numbers.

What I currently get is:

Story ->
Blacksmith Shop
Fresh Food Stand
Tavern - The Elephant and Castle
Tavern - The Pig and Whistle
The Sheriffs Office
The Stables
Town A
Town B

What I would Like to get is:

Story ->
Town A ->
Blacksmith Shop
Tavern - The Pig and Whistle
Fresh Food Stand
Town B ->
The Sheriffs Office
Tavern - The Elephant and Castle
The Stables

sloejack
November 6th, 2006, 18:04
One other thing worth mentioning before it gets suggested is that I am aware of how to use link lists, I'm just searching/hoping for a solution that makes for a better presentation. Additionally, even using link lists to group elements under a single topic still leaves a messy top level area that requires prefixing elements with numbers to get them to rise to the top and stay in order.

Toadwart
November 6th, 2006, 18:48
If you are game enough to dive into custom rulesets the simplest solution would be to change the way story elements are sorted:
Add another field that it will sort by. The field could be visible/editable on the story list page or you could make it only show on the Story frame itself (next to the name probably)

QA slightly less tacky(?) approach might be to create a separate group(s) and create the story elements in there without worrying about the order they appear. Then have a single 'entry point' on the main list that opens a story element which just has a list that looks loke your second example with links to the other story elements.
The formattedtext is entirely under your control so you can organise the links in whatever order you want.

sloejack
November 6th, 2006, 22:05
QA slightly less tacky(?) approach might be to create a separate group(s) and create the story elements in there without worrying about the order they appear. Then have a single 'entry point' on the main list that opens a story element which just has a list that looks loke your second example with links to the other story elements.
The formattedtext is entirely under your control so you can organise the links in whatever order you want.

I want to avoid crafting a custom ruleset if possible so that the campaign and associated modules stay fairly portable without forcing people to import my ruleset changes into their own rulesets or vice versa. I've pretty much defaulted to the style you mention here by creating a primary page that's always at the top and then building the links inside of that to meet my style desires.

unimatrixzero
November 6th, 2006, 23:47
Why not create an extra 'tab' on the 'Story' page? Right click on the flag underneath the search icon and choose add new group, you can even change the icon colour and change the rollover name. To change name simply type what you want to call it in the chat window and drag the text to the flag.
Hope this helps.
Uni

sloejack
November 7th, 2006, 00:48
Why not create an extra 'tab' on the 'Story' page? Right click on the flag underneath the search icon and choose add new group, you can even change the icon colour and change the rollover name. To change name simply type what you want to call it in the chat window and drag the text to the flag.
Hope this helps.
Uni
From an organizational stand point I like this though it doesn't solve the problem of the way it alphabatizes the titles so this makes for a good addition in seperating general campaign information from adventure information if I can control the color of the tab that gets loaded with the module. Thanks

Griogre
November 7th, 2006, 02:24
You can control the color the tab that gets loaded with the module - in fact I recommend it so you can see it easily as a tab from the module. All you have to do is change the color in the module campaign and export the module.