PDA

View Full Version : Query about Fantasy ground

Arelius111
November 6th, 2006, 08:49
Hi

I've heard of Fantasy ground for awhile but havent purchased it yet as I use the free application Openrpg. So my question is; whats differences between Openrpg and Fantasy ground? Other than Openrpg is free and fantast ground you have to purchase. Thanks for your time.

Arelius

Oberoten
November 6th, 2006, 11:15
Having used both I'd say that one of the major differences is in the interface and the speed of the program.

OpenRPG is nice, but rather slow with it's java-based interface.

One thing that OpenRPG offers that curently isn't in FG is te automatic tally and rolling of skills etc. That WILL however be remedied with the next update of FG.

And of course there is also the question of interface customization to set the program to the look you want for your particular campaign.

In short, FG is faster and prettier in the curent incarnations of both programs. As for the future with script-control of tokens and the like... I imagine that there will be a whole slev of new posibilities for those interested in working with new rulesets and customizations.

... maybe animated tokens/minis showing when you make an attackroll? ;) Can't help but think that'd be kinda nice even if it doesn't really ADD much.

But then again it is the difference between supercharging a Wolksvagen or a Ferrarri. Both gives an increase in speed... but the Ferrarri is faster and looks better even if it costs more. ;)

Tacomannerism
November 6th, 2006, 16:52
I am considering purchasing Fantasy Grounds and have a query about it as well.

I saw in the listed features that you can host a game on the FG servers (which helps those of us with dynamically allocated IPs). How does this work?

kalmarjan
November 6th, 2006, 16:57
But then again it is the difference between supercharging a Wolksvagen or a Ferrarri. Both gives an increase in speed... but the Ferrarri is faster and looks better even if it costs more.

Hey!!!

I am a volks lover, and while my car could not blow away a ferrari, It could kick just about any american cars *ss in a flat out race. Plus, it gets better mileage than the Ferrari/american car.

Enough of the Thread jack though... On topic:

To answer your question about the difference.

FG is developed by a team of professionals. While they are known to be a little slow about the update. (At least to v2, the other updates were quicker), the updates are for functionality that is for the good of the program.

Thing about OpenRPG is it is super bloat ware. There are so many features that one would need a degree to access them all. I like the idea of modular expansion, should the user so choose. (Plug ins, if you would). This means that if I want to test an item out in FG, I would be able to test it with the bare bones, and not have to worry if everything else is conflicting.

Plus, I would not even really want to use half of the features. (As I would not want to be bound to the programming, should I decide that a modifier is an ad hoc adjustment.) Providing that can be a nightare.

One reason I like FG is it is simple. If you like complexity, in the near future, you will get your wish with LUA. (And FG 2) If you like simple, FG is your bag as well.

I hope that answers your question, and my verbal retoric did not put you to sleep. ;)

Sandeman

richvalle
November 6th, 2006, 17:08
I am considering purchasing Fantasy Grounds and have a query about it as well.

I saw in the listed features that you can host a game on the FG servers (which helps those of us with dynamically allocated IPs). How does this work?

You don't log into a FG server but you can use one to use the Alias feature.

rv

Tacomannerism
November 6th, 2006, 17:23
You don't log into a FG server but you can use one to use the Alias feature.

rv

If I, as a DM, run a server on a computer that is "hidden" in terms of my players logging in to anything running on my physical machine will this "alias" feature solve my problems? how does it do this? I'm just trying to figure out if FG fits my needs. Thanks!

Griogre
November 6th, 2006, 19:29
If I, as a DM, run a server on a computer that is "hidden" in terms of my players logging in to anything running on my physical machine will this "alias" feature solve my problems? how does it do this? I'm just trying to figure out if FG fits my needs. Thanks!
Not sure what you mean exactly by this.

The alias feature allows players to put in a series of words instead of an IP address. If typing the IP address in would not take them to your server then typing in the alias won't take them into your server either. The alias is meant to help people with dynamic IPs. When you start a game the server updates a FG alias server with your current IP so when your players try to connect with the alias to your computer the alias server can substitute the alias for your current IP address.

Tacomannerism
November 6th, 2006, 19:51
I see. I guess FG won't really solve my problem then. What port does FG connect over?

Griogre
November 6th, 2006, 19:55
Port 1802. If you have an ISP that controls the port settings on the firewall to the Internet then you are out of luck as a DM. Unless you have a very strange setup, if you can access the Internet you can probably connect to others as a player.

Astinus
November 6th, 2006, 20:09
The alias is meant to help people with dynamic IPs. When you start a game the server updates a FG alias server with your current IP so when your players try to connect with the alias to your computer the alias server can substitute the alias for your current IP address.
Does this slow down the connection and create lag at all? Does routing requests through the alias server cause problems?

Port 1802. If you have an ISP that controls the port settings on the firewall to the Internet then you are out of luck as a DM.
What's the quickest way to check if your ISP is doing this?

richvalle
November 6th, 2006, 20:10
No. It only checks when a client first logs in (I belive). We've never had any lag in our game and I gave out an alias.

rv

Tacomannerism
November 6th, 2006, 20:31
Port 1802. If you have an ISP that controls the port settings on the firewall to the Internet then you are out of luck as a DM. Unless you have a very strange setup, if you can access the Internet you can probably connect to others as a player.

Any possibility of installing a sort of "dedicated server" on a machine that is not on my restricted network and then logging into that dedicated server as the DM? It would be an interesting option for the future. I could then have one of my players install the server on their machine and then log in remotely.

Thank you for your answers to my questions. They are most appreciated.

Griogre
November 7th, 2006, 02:02
The developers specifically choose not to have a seperate dedicated server. This was apparently a policy decision on their part to simplify their code base. As far as I know they have no plans to change this policy - they are not a large company.

Griogre
November 7th, 2006, 02:12
Does this slow down the connection and create lag at all? Does routing requests through the alias server cause problems??
As richvalle mentioned this is a one time lookup at the start of the session. The only problem that could impact you is have the alias server go down. Should that happen you would need to pass on the actual IP address to your players. Once you did that you would be fine.

What's the quickest way to check if your ISP is doing this? Probably calling your ISP is fastest. Probably the most common reason for an ISP to do this in North America is because you are connecting to the Internet through a large LAN (like a citywide wireless connection or university) instead of directly.

Arelius111
November 7th, 2006, 05:18
Thanks all for replies. I will stick with Openrpg for now.

Griogre
November 8th, 2006, 18:36
If you wish to stick to a free alternative, you might try MapTool here (https://www.rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro). There was a big discussion about this over at Four Ugly Monsters here (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8) (have to register to see).