PDA

View Full Version : New to FG, n00bish questions ahead

Jankomatic
October 10th, 2019, 14:12
So I assume even though I own the hard copies of all the current Pathfinder 2.0 stuff, that I have to also buy all the Pathfinder 2.0 stuff from the FG store as well?
Such as:
Pathfinder 2 RPG - Core Rules

I did just see you can get a discount on those rules if you have purchased the PDF from Paizo, does that mean if you pay full price at the FG store you get a PDF copy of said item as well?

Once you make these purchases, the modules just appear after an update in your FG client?

Thanks
Wes

Trenloe
October 10th, 2019, 14:35
Welcome to the FG foumrs Jankomatic!

So I assume even though I own the hard copies of all the current Pathfinder 2.0 stuff, that I have to also buy all the Pathfinder 2.0 stuff from the FG store as well?
Such as:
Pathfinder 2 RPG - Core Rules
You can play without the PF2 products, by entering all the data manually, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Core Rules is pretty much an essential purchase IMO.

I did just see you can get a discount on those rules if you have purchased the PDF from Paizo, does that mean if you pay full price at the FG store you get a PDF copy of said item as well?
Yes.

Once you make these purchases, the modules just appear after an update in your FG client?
Yes. And sync your Paizo account to get the PDF at paizo.com. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncPaizoAccount.xcp

Jankomatic
October 10th, 2019, 15:18
Thanks for the reply, more questions.

So I have the Hellknight module and the core rules loaded on my main PC with my $9.99 a month sub.

First question, when I load for example the Map: Citadel Altaerein, not the GM one. I still see pins in it on my screen. Is that how it should be?

I have a second PC with a test account setup on it for FG since I am trying to learn how things will be presented to a player etc.

I connect to the game just fine. I can see chat in the chat window. When I share that image for the Map: Citadel Altaerein it opens a window on the other PC, but just says Loading and never load anything. Anything I share does the same. Doing a Synch client view seems to have no effect either. I assume I am doing something wrong since I am new to the platform, just not sure what it might be.

Second, how do you "save" the state of your campaign? Does just exiting do this?

Is there no dice sound when "rolling"? Does the total of the dice rolled not appear in chat?

Trenloe
October 10th, 2019, 15:58
First question, when I load for example the Map: Citadel Altaerein, not the GM one. I still see pins in it on my screen. Is that how it should be?
Yes. This makes it easier for the GM to access info about locations. The players don't see the pin links.

I have a second PC with a test account setup on it for FG since I am trying to learn how things will be presented to a player etc.

I connect to the game just fine. I can see chat in the chat window. When I share that image for the Map: Citadel Altaerein it opens a window on the other PC, but just says Loading and never load anything. Anything I share does the same. Doing a Synch client view seems to have no effect either. I assume I am doing something wrong since I am new to the platform, just not sure what it might be.
For running on the same network as the GM, make sure you're joining the game with the local IP address of the GM instance, not the alias.

You can also run a second instance on the same computer as the GM instance and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost

Second, how do you "save" the state of your campaign? Does just exiting do this?
FG does this automatically. Every 5 minutes in the background (in case you have an issue) and when you exit FG.

Is there no dice sound when "rolling"? Does the total of the dice rolled not appear in chat?
There's no sound. The total will appear based off your campaign options - see "Show roll totals" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options#Game You can also right-click on the roll in chat and select the "=" option.

Jankomatic
October 11th, 2019, 22:21
Again thanks for the replies.

I have modules fall of plaguestone and 2nd edition loaded. Players seem to be able to open any maps they want, even the GM ones. How do I keep GM maps or any maps for that matter hidden so they can't load them at all until I share them?

Is there not like an overview window that shows all the windows you have open so you can select one and have it come to the front? Once you get a dozen windows open it seems hard to find them without closing others.

Also, cantrips are listed at level 1. Shouldn't they be level 0?

Trenloe
October 12th, 2019, 00:27
Again thanks for the replies.

I have modules fall of plaguestone and 2nd edition loaded. Players seem to be able to open any maps they want, even the GM ones. How do I keep GM maps or any maps for that matter hidden so they can't load them at all until I share them?
Don't give players access to GM modules. Drag the red X in the module activation screen over the green check mark.

See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Availability

Is there not like an overview window that shows all the windows you have open so you can select one and have it come to the front? Once you get a dozen windows open it seems hard to find them without closing others.
You'll have to learn to do some window management - close or minimize those you don't want. Drag the link for frequently used windows to the hotkey bar, re-open windows (even if they're already open) by clicking on the link that opened them in the first place, etc..

Also, cantrips are listed at level 1. Shouldn't they be level 0?
There's no such thing as level 0 spells in PF2. Cantrips are a special type of spell that start at level 1 and are heightened to half the PC level, rounded up - see page 300 of the Core Rules.

Jankomatic
October 12th, 2019, 00:34
Don't give players access to GM modules. Drag the red X in the module activation screen over the green check mark.

So I take this to mean that the Player Load should be blocked. Like this:

When it is set like that though and they create a character, specifics for that module don't appear like Backgrounds, Feats etc

I am probably misunderstanding something.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2019, 00:38
So I take this to mean that the Player Load should be blocked. Like this:

Yes, you should always do that for GM related information. Even if it contains some player related information. If it's set to allow the players will see everything in that module.

When it is set like that though and they create a character, specifics for that module don't appear like Backgrounds, Feats etc

I am probably misunderstanding something.
There's not a specific player module for Fall of Plaguestone. Manually share the individual records that you want the players to have access to.

Jankomatic
October 12th, 2019, 01:58
Maybe that is what I am missing. So how do I share just the player feats and backgrounds etc for that module, so when they create characters they can see the info. I only see how to allow player loading for the entire module, not just pieces of it.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2019, 02:13
Maybe that is what I am missing. So how do I share just the player feats and backgrounds etc for that module, so when they create characters they can see the info. I only see how to allow player loading for the entire module, not just pieces of it.
The usual way you share anything - open it up and right-click -> share.

Jankomatic
October 12th, 2019, 03:31
So you are saying I have to go inside each Background by clicking on the red dragon symbol, then share them one at a time?

For Plague Stone that isn't very many, but for Ashes there will be a lot of each. What about when a module adds all new classes and such, I will have to manually go in and share all those things one at a time?

Nowhere on this screenshot below can I share everything that is there?

Trenloe
October 12th, 2019, 04:27
So you are saying I have to go inside each Background by clicking on the red dragon symbol, then share them one at a time?
Correct.

For Plague Stone that isn't very many, but for Ashes there will be a lot of each. What about when a module adds all new classes and such, I will have to manually go in and share all those things one at a time?
Some products include a player module containing only player specific info. For example, the Lost Omens World Guide includes a player specific module which contains player specific details (high levels maps, backgrounds, archetypes, spells and weapon records)

Nowhere on this screenshot below can I share everything that is there?

There is not a bulk way to share individual records.

Jankomatic
October 12th, 2019, 15:47
Hey Trenloe, not FG per say but forum related. I am not familiar with whatever this forum software is and I don't see a specific help section for it. I am just wondering how to make images I attach be shown inline with the text instead of having to click the link and it open. Is it because I am uploading from the PC instead of hosting it on some image forum and using the URL?