PDA

View Full Version : Tracking shield damage

rickyhunt
October 7th, 2019, 11:57
I have been trying to figure out a good way to track shield damage as a player. I tried to use an effect and change the numbers, but I can't edit the effect after I add it. The only thing I can think of that would work is to create a PC and track the hp as if it were taking damage. At least I don't have to put it on the combat tracker. Any other ideas on how to do this better?

UltimateGM
October 7th, 2019, 12:59
Once the effect is dropped onto the character in the combat tracker. There are 5 icons to the right of curr which represents the characters current hp. You can click on the last icon which looks like a humanoid figure which access the effects area of the combat tracker for that character. Once you click that then you can click into the effects text line and edit the DT and BT fields that you created.

It will be a waste of time in my opinion to create another character sheet simply to track shield damage.

rickyhunt
October 8th, 2019, 19:06
Adding an effect as a player is easy. My issue is that once I add the effect, as a player, I can't edit that effect to track hit points. I agree that creating the character to track the hp is a waste, but the only other option I can think of is to bug the gm to do it, which I am not willing to do. He is busy enough with the new system.

darrenan
October 8th, 2019, 19:24
You can delete the effect and re-add it with the new value, but that's a pain. I would recommend just opening a Note and tracking it by hand. The GM should be able to see and review any notes you create. Another option would be to add something like "(HP:25)" or "(HP:20/25)" to the title of the shield item in your inventory. I guess it would be nice to have fields in the shield item itself for tracking this if the item type is set to Shield, but using the title works good enough I think. I have used this in the past to track wand charges in PF1 for example.

darrenan
October 8th, 2019, 19:35
Also, if you have an action spell on your actions tab for Shield Block, you could track the HP in the title of that action similar to my suggestion above.

Dark Mullisha
October 9th, 2019, 23:32
One way I have suggested to my players is to create a weapon called shield and make it a ranged weapon and use the ammo count to mark off damage and repair.

rickyhunt
October 10th, 2019, 11:50
One way I have suggested to my players is to create a weapon called shield and make it a ranged weapon and use the ammo count to mark off damage and repair.

That is an interesting idea. I will have to give it a try, thanks.

Willot
October 10th, 2019, 20:44

And as a side benefit they can be Captain America! :p

kaernunnos
October 10th, 2019, 22:33
If you are using a shield it's worth adding the shield bash item to create the attack anyways

chillybilly
October 13th, 2019, 15:55
I made a terrible, very bad, super-poor extension that adds a new weapon type (shield) that just renames and uses the ranged "range" and "Ammo" counters to track shield damage.

I'd share it if someone can tell me how to pack the file into an .ext. Right now it's just in folders.

madman
October 13th, 2019, 23:40
@chillybilly (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?20433-chillybilly) you just zip the contents of the main folder not the folder itself and instead of .zip you use .ext
they are just standard zip files. do not use rar and such just standard zip compression.

Trenloe
October 13th, 2019, 23:51
I made a terrible, very bad, super-poor extension that adds a new weapon type (shield) that just renames and uses the ranged "range" and "Ammo" counters to track shield damage.

I'd share it if someone can tell me how to pack the file into an .ext. Right now it's just in folders.

Very cool!

Something like this, and bombs, will be coming to a weapons section near you soon... ;)

chillybilly
October 13th, 2019, 23:54
@chillybilly (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?20433-chillybilly) you just zip the contents of the main folder not the folder itself and instead of .zip you use .ext
they are just standard zip files. do not use rar and such just standard zip compression.

Genius! Thank you!

If anyone wants the extension, here it is. I'm hoping it's okay to post (hopefully Trenloe or some other deity will take it down if this violates forum rules.

Edit: Not sure I did it right (how could I possibly screw up zipping a file???? But I think I managed to do so). I'm glad to see Trenloe gives his initial blessing on this and please, please make it better. I don't know how to get scripts to run in extensions so I just added a function in the actual windowclass of char_weapon and I know that's not a good solution but it did work (at least for now).

Oh, even if I zipped this wrong (it doesn't show up in the extensions list when zipped as an ext), it's possible to unzip it and place the files into a folder.

EDIT TWO: I messed on compressing it and this attachment right below doesn't work. Trenloe later figured out what I did wrong and I posted a working extension on page 3. Sorry!

Trenloe
October 14th, 2019, 00:22
If anyone wants the extension, here it is. I'm hoping it's okay to post (hopefully Trenloe or some other deity will take it down if this violates forum rules.
Yep, completely OK to post things like this. Please post more! :)

Thanks for sharing with the community.

Bidmaron
October 14th, 2019, 01:16
Very cool!

Something like this, and bombs, will be coming to a weapons section near you soon... ;)
This is great to hear Trenloe.
And thanks for the extension!

Dark Mullisha
October 14th, 2019, 07:09
Chilly does the hardness subtract damage when the shield tick is activated?
looks fine to me.

chillybilly
October 14th, 2019, 12:55
Chilly does the hardness subtract damage when the shield tick is activated?
looks fine to me.

I'm sorry but it doesn't. Also, the hit points aren't reduced when damage is applied (after hardness is taken into account). It's 100% manual and the only purpose was to give my players a visual reminder of their shields' hardnes and current HP. Automating it is far beyond my meager capabilities. Plus, there'd have to be an on/off button for that because using shield block is an action and sometimes, a PC won't want to use it and just take the damage.

Dark Mullisha
October 14th, 2019, 12:56
I'm sorry but it doesn't. Also, the hit points aren't reduced when damage is applied (after hardness is taken into account). It's 100% manual and the only purpose was to give my players a visual reminder of their shields' hardnes and current HP. Automating it is far beyond my meager capabilities. Plus, there'd have to be an on/off button for that because using shield block is an action and sometimes, a PC won't want to use it and just take the damage.

Thats fine I like what you have done.
Good work

hawkwind
October 14th, 2019, 18:02
i'm not seeing the extension after i copied it into my extension folder and loaded up my PF2 campaign, is anyone else getting it to load?

Trenloe
October 14th, 2019, 18:05
i'm not seeing the extension after i copied it into my extension folder and loaded up my PF2 campaign, is anyone else getting it to load?
Looks like it's been compressed with RAR compression and not ZIP compression. It needs to the ZIP for FG to read it.

chillybilly
October 14th, 2019, 18:11
That was my mistake! Thanks, Trenloe! I saved it correctly this time (I hope).

hawkwind
October 14th, 2019, 19:03
works for me now, thanks

Sasmira
April 30th, 2020, 08:46
That was my mistake! Thanks, Trenloe! I saved it correctly this time (I hope).

Hello,

is it possible to update your ext plz ... we have somes errors on FGU :p

[4/30/2020 9:39:47 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "char_weapon"]:16: attempt to call global 'onLinkChanged' (a nil value)
[4/30/2020 9:43:38 AM] [WARNING] Could not load script file () (char_weapon) (char_weaponadd.lua)
[4/30/2020 9:43:38 AM] [WARNING] Could not load script file () (char_weapon) (char_weaponadd.lua)
[4/30/2020 9:43:38 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "char_weapon"]:16: attempt to call global 'onLinkChanged' (a nil value)

S.

hawkwind
April 30th, 2020, 09:26
might be some issues with unity with this extension

Weissrolf
April 30th, 2020, 09:50

Any news on this? We also just had the case were a critical fumble (card) caused damage to a weapon. Currently we track this via notes.

phillgamboa
April 30th, 2020, 12:16
Dont work to me in FG classic.

Any chance to fix the bug?

chillybilly
April 30th, 2020, 17:07
I wanted to reply in this thread even though I am not currently playing a PF2 campaign. I looked briefly at my horrible coding and I'm not sure exactly how to fix it since it was heavily reliant on the former build of the PF2 ruleset. If anyone wants to give it a try, they are more than welcome to tinker with the mod. Sorry, I wish I could give you better news.

Weissrolf
May 1st, 2020, 19:48
Today we build an alchemist character. Is there any way to handle bombs/recipes yet? We did it my using SR Drag & Drop spell formulas as spells (Alchemist caster level with DEX as prof. ability) in the Action tab.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 20:01
Today we build an alchemist character. Is there any way to handle bombs/recipes yet? We did it my using SR Drag & Drop spell formulas as spells (Alchemist caster level with DEX as prof. ability) in the Action tab.
Manually create them in the action tab for the time being.

Weissrolf
May 1st, 2020, 21:52
Ok, we will keep using SR Drag N Drop then, which is phenomenal help for not having to create this all manually.

We also started using the Shield Damage Tracker for weapons that took damage (can happen with critical fumbles). Of course we did not create double entries for all weapons, just when one happens to take damage. My players might prefer to just write something in the "Notes" section of the character sheet, so the jury is still out. For shields we also manually add damage to resolve shield bashes.

Weissrolf
November 15th, 2020, 11:43
How does this extension even work in Classic when the "extension.lua" has a typo in exactly the part that Unity fails to work with?

"<script name="shieldadd" file="scripts/char_weapondd.lua" /> -->"

Notice how it says weapondd instead of weaponAdd?! Unfortunately fixing the typo does not fix the error in Unity, so I suspect that some Classic internal weaponadd script is called instead?

Stargrove
April 3rd, 2021, 07:16
So, while running my campaign tonight we came across the issue of how to track damage to shields and so I came here looking for an extension because I figured there must be one. I tried the original one included in this thread and found that it did not work properly in FGU but that it does work in FGC. I would never admit to being able to program my way out of a paper bag but I was able to figure out why it does not work in FGU.

Based on my limited knowledge of LUA and extensions in general it seems that FGU wants to see paths in front of calls/references (I don't know if either is the right terminology) to .lua files. There is an XML file located in the 'campaign' directory of the extension called 'record_char_actions.xml' that calls/references a file called 'char_weaponadd.lua' which is located in the 'scripts' folder of the extension.

record_char_actions.xml (Line 10) Before:

<script file="char_weaponadd.lua" />

record_char_actions.xml (Line 10) After:

<script file="scripts\char_weaponadd.lua" />

I made this change and now the extension works in FGU and still works properly in FGC. Enjoy.

PS: Hopefully someone can tell me if my reasoning above is correct or not.

PPSS: I wonder if there are any plans to add this functionality into the PF2E ruleset. I am sure it could be extended beyond shields to other items as well.
Stargrove

Trenloe
April 19th, 2021, 22:44
PPSS: I wonder if there are any plans to add this functionality into the PF2E ruleset. I am sure it could be extended beyond shields to other items as well.
See post #12. It's been on the list for a while. Will probably be implemented in release 19.

Pentazer
August 14th, 2021, 23:04
Is there a 5e compatible version for this? I'd love to have the ability to track "Shield Points" for energy shields.

Dark Mullisha
August 14th, 2021, 23:16
Is there a 5e compatible version for this? I'd love to have the ability to track "Shield Points" for energy shields.

I don't know as I don't play 5e, but it should work as it is only a combat table change. there is an extension that makes extensions work for other games.

Pentazer
August 14th, 2021, 23:17
Ah, I already tried to load it for 5e and it doesn't even show up in the list, only for pathfinder. What's this compatibility extension you're talking about?