PDA

View Full Version : Line of Sight and Portcullises

Zacchaeus
October 5th, 2019, 13:34
So, in a number of maps there are portcullises or gates which often are locked/jammed etc and there currently isn't really a way to properly represent them. They aren't really a door since you can see through them and they aren't terrain since they can be locked or barred. There is therefore a use case for an additional door option which can be locked like a door but which can be seen through.

Just a thought :)

TMO
October 7th, 2019, 06:25
I'm inclined to agree that this presents a legitimate new use case.

pindercarl
October 7th, 2019, 18:28
So, in a number of maps there are portcullises or gates which often are locked/jammed etc and there currently isn't really a way to properly represent them. They aren't really a door since you can see through them and they aren't terrain since they can be locked or barred. There is therefore a use case for an additional door option which can be locked like a door but which can be seen through.

Just a thought :)

When using LOS, player movement is restricted to the active visible area for a token. This is a convenience feature to prevent the player from accidentally, or intentionally, revealing parts of the map. A wall type that does not block vision would have no effect. Using the walls themselves to block player movement would be an entirely new feature.

TMO
October 7th, 2019, 18:31
I think it is understood this would be an entirely new feature. Am I missing something?

Zacchaeus
October 7th, 2019, 19:59
I get your point. I was thinking that it would be like a door except that it wouldn't block line of sight but would block movement. But it was just a thought :)

pindercarl
October 8th, 2019, 03:11
I think it is understood this would be an entirely new feature. Am I missing something?

There are different categories of new features. There's, I have a two door car and I need a four door car. Then there is, I have a two door car and I need a bicycle. A wall that blocks movement, but not vision, is a bicycle. It would appear to be related to the current LOS implementation, but is not supported by the existing architecture. It's a interesting problem and has given me some ideas about how a portcullis or gate might be addressed using the existing tech.

dulux-oz
October 8th, 2019, 03:48
Serious question: couldn't you ue a "window" (if such a consruct exists) - that would seem to satisfy the "transparent wall/door" case.

Also, how about prison/cell doors with a window in them. These are a semi-regular feature of a lot of my dungeons (especially the man-made-under-the-keep type dungeaons).

Guoccamole
October 12th, 2019, 16:00
Perhaps current walls could all be converted to 1) wall (blocks movement), and 2) curtain (blocks sight) so that, going forward, we would build using (new) wall + curtain each or in combo? Then perhaps the “wall” features could be combinations of elemental terrain features (wall, curtain, fence terrain, et al.) so jail doors, windows, invisible barriers could be built using elemental features (in combination as desired but not necessarily).

YamaShintaku
October 28th, 2019, 23:48
This question could also apply to holes in the wall that are too small for PC to climb through... I think the Lost Mine of Phandelver has one of these (at least I implemented it in my game...) There should be some sort of option to see, yet not walk through. Like a window or prison door that was mentioned above...

jkagie
October 29th, 2019, 06:12
I was wondering if you could manually place the portcullis bars separately. Each bar would be a wall maybe close enough together to block movement, but far enough apart to allow LOS sight.

Guoccamole
November 8th, 2019, 01:41
When using LOS, player movement is restricted to the active visible area for a token. This is a convenience feature to prevent the player from accidentally, or intentionally, revealing parts of the map. A wall type that does not block vision would have no effect.

Conflating vision with walls in implementation is a blocker for map-making.

Using the walls themselves to block player movement would be an entirely new feature.

+1

Gristlemill
November 9th, 2019, 05:13
In another VTT, I used multiple small circles to represent a portcullis, then placed my LOS layer circles in the same spots. One dedicated player managed to squeeze through after a time, but it made a good visual effect and obstructed movement for the most part.

I have not tried this yet in FGU, but it may be a work-around.

Window and curtain options sound like good future features.

Really enjoying FGU thus far. Thanks devs and fellow testers!

Kelrugem
November 9th, 2019, 05:20
In another VTT, I used multiple small circles to represent a portcullis, then placed my LOS layer circles in the same spots. One dedicated player managed to squeeze through after a time, but it made a good visual effect and obstructed movement for the most part.

This sounds indeed as a possible workaround :) One can add separate LoS layers and there is a toggle for turning them on/off (basically for opening the portcullis for example) :)

Zwergenmauer
November 9th, 2019, 13:12
This question could also apply to holes in the wall that are too small for PC to climb through... I think the Lost Mine of Phandelver has one of these (at least I implemented it in my game...) There should be some sort of option to see, yet not walk through. Like a window or prison door that was mentioned above...

Your note here also poses another interesting sidepoint used in many adventures. What about a hole that is not big enough for a medium or large sized creature, but big enough for a smaller creature?

i.e. Human v. gnome; Giant v. Human; Gnome v. Swarm of diminutive or tiny creatures; etc.

MarianDz
November 10th, 2019, 11:46

You think something alike "Gristlemill" :)
Nice idea, thank you for it

This sounds indeed as a possible workaround One can add separate LoS layers and there is a toggle for turning them on/off (basically for opening the portcullis for example)

Unfortunatelly, this won't work. I try it add as separate wall option and then show/hide but without influence.
Maybe later it will work.

Kelrugem
November 10th, 2019, 19:09
You think something alike "Gristlemill" :)
Nice idea, thank you for it

Unfortunatelly, this won't work. I try it add as separate wall option and then show/hide but without influence.
Maybe later it will work.

You have to press the little wall button in that layer entry to turn off its LoS :) It does not work when making the layer invisible (that's a known item in the list) :)

Circol
December 16th, 2022, 21:42
Use window as Line Of Sight type. Closed window prevents moving but allow players to see through it. You can shift click it too to lock it and prevent players of opening it.

estrolof
December 17th, 2022, 06:28
Can you use a locked window? (I was thinking about this earlier today, funny enough.) I can't remember, will a closed window block movement and/or line of sight?

Circol
December 17th, 2022, 08:40
Can you use a locked window? (I was thinking about this earlier today, funny enough.) I can't remember, will a closed window block movement and/or line of sight?

Closed window will block movement but not LOS. I used it to implement prison bars. Works exactly as I intended.

Gristlemill
December 19th, 2022, 20:37
You guys are correct about the window features, however that functionality did not exist in 2019 when this thread was created. :)