PDA

View Full Version : Leave Game Open?

soulkeeper
October 4th, 2019, 15:42
So I plan to make a password protected game for my players. I have not started this part yet, but I think I see it is possible.
I while I don't have a dedicated IP at home, it rotates only every few months. Therefore I plan to give them that wonky looking "access token" so they don't need to worry about my IP.

My main question is, we are new to FG. I'd like to fire up my game, and give them access to a generic map page with some enemies and let them connect as they desire to test out the interface, their character, etc.

Is this possible? I'm not thinking FG is like a game client or server, but I'm not really sure how this all works to be certain.

Thanks!

StoryWeaver
October 4th, 2019, 15:59
Hi there, let's see if I can shed some light on the particulars as I understand them.

1) Fantasy grounds requires an IP address to let your players connect to you. It's fine if it rotates, but in that case you'll need to either share with them the new IP, or use the alias systems instead.

2) FG is very much like a game client or server. You need to keep the server (that is campaign instance) running on your computer and have your computer online and accessible just like when playing the game.

3) You can share a number of images with the players if you'd like. Be that map or others. Right click and select Share to set it up like that, or you can go directly to the images section and click to the right of the image to make them (P) public.

4) In order for your players to be able to test out their characters in combat, you'll have to add them to the combat tracker. Same goes for any NPCs they want to attack.

5) If you want the players to be able to test out fighting on a map, you'll have to add them to the map from the CT yourself. ps. Leave them unlocked so they can move around. The players can access the map from the images section as long as it's shared, or they can click on the token image at the top of the character sheet to open it up as long as they're on that map. They will not be able to add themselves to the map.

6) They will not be able to use the NPCs themselves, nor change their hitpoints. However they will be able to change their own hps on their character sheets. If they go below 0hps however they'll be stuck with the unconscious effect until you clear it (if it's 5E you're talking about).

So as you can see, it's a multifaceted situation, hope that clears things up for you.

Have fun!

mattekure
October 4th, 2019, 16:00
Yes, this is certainly possible. there will be things they cant do from a players side like advance initiative of an NPC but they can certainly play around with the interface if you have elements like the maps shared properly and NPC tokens placed onto the combat tracker and map. the DM hosts the game, so you can leave it running if you like.

Andraax
October 4th, 2019, 16:38
I believe the alias only updates when you restart the campaign, so that might not work. I would use something like Dynamic DNS (DDNS) and have them connect to your dynamic name. Many routers nowadays will update the DDNS servers with your new address if they detect a change on the WAN's IP address automatically. If your router does not, then you can use software on your server to do the same thing.