PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds v5.1 released

Ikael
October 2nd, 2019, 16:28
New update is now available with following changes.

[SWADE] Look and feel updated
[SWADE] Multiline support for chat entry text
[SWADE] Encumbrance penalty can be selected to be applied only for armor or carried weight
[SWADE] Typos and links fixed in modules
[SWADE] Effect keywords to added many module records
[SWADE] Bumps & Bruises effect added to master effect list
[SWADE] Improved Chase rule support
[SWADE] Vehicle parry rule implemented
[SWADE] Vehicle handling is auto-applied to maneuvering rolls
[SWADE] Chase complication rules implemented
[SWADE] Vehicle Out of Control and Critical Hits tables improved
[SavageWorlds] Defeated Markers doesn't work properly. Fixed (available only for FG v3.3.9+ version~ planned release in 3 weeks.)
[SavageWorlds] Re-roll damage did not work properly with pending damage entries. Fixed
[SavageWorlds] Dragging Bennies highlights zones where it can be dropped
[SavageWorlds] Automation related options moved into "Automation (GM)" section
[SavageWorlds] New option: "Auto-apply: Abilities & Modifiers". This is master option to control auto-applying Abilities and Modifiers. When set off, all automation is disabled
[SavageWorlds] New option: "Targeting Allowed". Use to control is roll targeting features allowed
[SavageWorlds] Auto-apply Joker Bonus, Size, Range, Gang Up Modifiers options moved under "House Rules (GM)" section
[SavageWorlds] Custom trait attack is be ranged when range field has value
[SavageWorlds] Skill will be removed if racial ability reduces it below d4
[SavageWorlds] Option "Minitracker: Show Derived Stats" rename to "Client CT: Show Stats". It will also determine if WildCard info is shown in client CT
[SavageWorlds] Attack keywords effect support. User can define custom keywords for attacks and they are taken account in effect framework
[SavageWorlds] Ignore effects support, for instance [Ignore #Dim #Dark] to ignore dim and dark illumination effects
[SavageWorlds] Reduce effects support, for instance [Ignore #Illumination -3] to ignore up to 3 points of illumination penalties
[SavageWorlds] Attack effects support, for instance [>#ImprovisedWeapon] in weapon would cause Improvised Weapon penalties when attacking with the weapon
[SavageWorlds] Attack ignore effects affect opponent's defense effects
[SavageWorlds] Recoil penalty is auto-applied when shooting ranged weapon with RoF > 1
[SavageWorlds] Improved effect autocomplete
[SavageWorlds] Effects are searched from all loaded modules
[SavageWorlds] Effect framework performance improvements
[SavageWorlds] Vehicle damage rules implemented
[SavageWorlds] Token can be dropped anywhere on CT entry to change combatant's token
[SavageWorlds] Attack can be changed to sub-attack by holding ALT down and dropping it on another attack
[SavageWorlds] Vehicle maneuver roll cannot be re-rolled by dropping Benny. Fixed
[SavageWorlds] PC run action button is not working properly. Fixed

Notes
[SWADE] prefixed updates are available only in Savage Worlds Adventure Edition ruleset
[SavageWorlds] prefixed updates are available in both Savage Worlds Adventure Edition and Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition rulesets.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29084&d=1569009151

Valyar
October 3rd, 2019, 08:14
This update is fantastic. I really like the new look and how many improvements there are.

YamaShintaku
October 3rd, 2019, 14:27
This update is fantastic. I really like the new look and how many improvements there are.

^^^ I second that emotion!

Slagmoth
October 4th, 2019, 03:29
I don't know if this is the right place to bring this up but:

Potential bugs:

1. Unable to remove race after it has been added to a character sheet. (As a user I would like to be able to change my mind before play begins on race even after entire sheet is filled out without starting over.)
2. All armor is counted against Toughness when equipped even when the RAW state only chest armor counts for that calculation.

If there is something I am missing please point me to it.

Thanks.

esmdev
October 4th, 2019, 04:25
RESOLVED: I was using a theme, the Coming of Night that seems to be the source of the problems. I removed it and everything is working fine.

---------------

I was using the new SWADE update to run an ETU game this evening. While I like a lot of the changes, we noticed a few problems.

1. The first problem was that it would not roll (and therefore add) ace dice when the die result was maxed.

2. It wouldn't apply modifiers to skill rolls that were double-clicked on the character sheet, but it would apply the modifier if we dragged the skill to the chat window.

3. When I rolled something as Dean, it would show what I am rolling to the players... like I rolled a stealth roll and while they couldn't see the result they all knew that I was rolling stealth for a non-aligned student.

Thanks in advance

Dragonrose0
October 6th, 2019, 21:04
I was using the new SWADE update to run an ETU game this evening. While I like a lot of the changes, we noticed a few problems.

1. The first problem was that it would not roll (and therefore add) ace dice when the die result was maxed.

2. It wouldn't apply modifiers to skill rolls that were double-clicked on the character sheet, but it would apply the modifier if we dragged the skill to the chat window.

3. When I rolled something as Dean, it would show what I am rolling to the players... like I rolled a stealth roll and while they couldn't see the result they all knew that I was rolling stealth for a non-aligned student.

Thanks in advance

I found the same issues. also, Adventure cards are not working

madmansam
October 7th, 2019, 08:52
I'm not sure if this is the place to report it, but the Obese hindrance increases your running die by one type. The running die doesn't change if you then remove Obese, it's still increased by one.

The Fleet-Footed edge increases your running die type by one, but if you remove it the die is still increased.

I'm really not sure if this is the place to ask, I'm very new to FG, is there a good way to add kevlar's bullet damage reduction to NPCs to have it calculated automatically?

Thanks.

Exarx
October 8th, 2019, 11:33
The Rock & roll edge doesn´t remove the -2 for RoF 2 and above.

Ikael
October 8th, 2019, 18:51
1. Unable to remove race after it has been added to a character sheet. (As a user I would like to be able to change my mind before play begins on race even after entire sheet is filled out without starting over.)

You can drag and drop new race to replace previous one, however you should manually remove previous race's racial abilities that were added to your sheet. There is no feature to auto remove race and its special abilities because (IMO) it is rare occasion.

2. All armor is counted against Toughness when equipped even when the RAW state only chest armor counts for that calculation.

You could only equip chest/torso armor pieces to get this effect. Other armor pieces can be left as carried if you want them to affect to encumbrance.

I'm not sure if this is the place to report it, but the Obese hindrance increases your running die by one type. The running die doesn't change if you then remove Obese, it's still increased by one.

I can reproduce Obese hindrance issue and will investigate it further.

The Fleet-Footed edge increases your running die type by one, but if you remove it the die is still increased.

This is known issue, abilities that change your trait/run die are not adjusted back after you remove that ability. Unfortunately there is no fix planned for this since this is again, rare case can you can manage it with manual adjustment.

I'm really not sure if this is the place to ask, I'm very new to FG, is there a good way to add kevlar's bullet damage reduction to NPCs to have it calculated automatically?

NPCs does not have fully featured gear but you could write kevlar and its bullet damage reduction effect into NPCs abilities. I might add effect support to NPC gear section in next version.

The Rock & roll edge doesn´t remove the -2 for RoF 2 and above.

Rock and Roll's Recoil ignore effect is conditional; it applied only if you don't move. Because of it, this won't be automated effect.

pat
October 20th, 2019, 00:59
Was this update tested? So many, many things are broken in the SWADE version.

- Adventure cards don't work
- You can't remove bennies
- Wild dies is now rolled separate (so two dice vs one)
- Exploding dice, broken.
- Combat is completely broken

That's just a few things. Can someone really go through and test it.

esmdev
October 20th, 2019, 12:14
Was this update tested? So many, many things are broken in the SWADE version.

- Adventure cards don't work
- You can't remove bennies
- Wild dies is now rolled separate (so two dice vs one)
- Exploding dice, broken.
- Combat is completely broken

That's just a few things. Can someone really go through and test it.

Yes, it was tested and actually works very well.

Those type of oddities seem to be caused by old extensions or themes and not the actual ruleset. Try removing all extensions and themes, check that it works and then add them back one by one until you figure out which ones are causing the problems.

I had all sorts of weirdness until I took out an older theme, works perfect afterwards.

Dragonrose0
October 20th, 2019, 22:14
my issue was caused by a sound mod

amerigoV
November 9th, 2019, 13:24
Found a minor oddity - not sure if its been reported. I am new to FG so have been running a few mock combats. I did one 2 PCs vs. 2 enemies. One enemy extra took a bunch of wounds. I applied them (Incapacitated) then removed them from the combat tracker, and created the nice blood stain on the map. Very satisfying.

The fight continued and I noticed the solo enemy was getting a gangup bonus. Turns out that blood splatters are still very threatening! When I moved the the enemy such that the blood splatter was not in position to provide gang up, the bonus went away. I did not check to see if just incapacitated enemies can create gangup or not.

Thanks for all the work on this ruleset. Its very smooth overall and really takes into consideration so much of the rules.

Ikael
November 9th, 2019, 17:20
Found a minor oddity - not sure if its been reported. I am new to FG so have been running a few mock combats. I did one 2 PCs vs. 2 enemies. One enemy extra took a bunch of wounds. I applied them (Incapacitated) then removed them from the combat tracker, and created the nice blood stain on the map. Very satisfying.

The fight continued and I noticed the solo enemy was getting a gangup bonus. Turns out that blood splatters are still very threatening! When I moved the the enemy such that the blood splatter was not in position to provide gang up, the bonus went away. I did not check to see if just incapacitated enemies can create gangup or not.

Thanks for all the work on this ruleset. Its very smooth overall and really takes into consideration so much of the rules.

This is known issue and it is recommended to disable Defeated Markers (blood splats) feature until Fantasy Grounds v3.3.9 is released to live. That update fixes the issue

amerigoV
November 15th, 2019, 23:41
This is known issue and it is recommended to disable Defeated Markers (blood splats) feature until Fantasy Grounds v3.3.9 is released to live. That update fixes the issue

Thanks - Right now I am just figuring it all out. I probably will not be fully live on FG until early next year (finishing up something in R20 first). So I will leave it on and keep it in mind (since its kinda cool to have the splatter on the map).

Eru the One
November 16th, 2019, 14:43
3.3.9 went live this past Thursday, so enjoy the blood splats :).

amerigoV
November 16th, 2019, 18:33
I am just missing this - there looks to be support for Chases. I thought I found it once in the CT, but I think that was the Dramatic Tasks that pop up as part of a right click in the tracker. What is the support and how do I active it?

Thanks a bunch!

amerigoV
November 16th, 2019, 18:47
Dupicate post

Ikael
November 16th, 2019, 18:53
I am just missing this - there looks to be support for Chases. I thought I found it once in the CT, but I think that was the Dramatic Tasks that pop up as part of a right click in the tracker. What is the support and how do I active it?

Thanks a bunch!

You can find information about it from this tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRk0HAxoS8

amerigoV
November 16th, 2019, 19:44
Ty!

Doswelk
November 17th, 2019, 00:20
I ran a game today that started with a chase...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/509113713

Terhial
November 22nd, 2019, 12:54
Can I get some help with the "Attack Ignore" formatting? Plenty of Edges and especially things in Savage Rifts ignore range penalties and a bit of automation on those would be awesome.

madmansam
November 24th, 2019, 00:37
Can I get some help with the "Attack Ignore" formatting? Plenty of Edges and especially things in Savage Rifts ignore range penalties and a bit of automation on those would be awesome.

I don't know if the ignore keywords have been fully implemented, but as a work around, on the combat tab for the character/NPC you can increase the range brackets of the weapon. E.g. Change 30/60/120 to 120/120/120, that way you'll always be in short range, or 60/60/120, effectively removing medium range.

amerigoV
December 14th, 2019, 01:23
I was actually testing out Unity and notice this and I replicated it under FGC. I was using a Drake. I targeted 2 PCs in the combat tracker and did the Fiery Breathe roll (which should be Athletics). It indicated the attack went against the targets Parry. I believe that should just be TN 4 ala shooting or throwing a grenade.

Eru the One
December 14th, 2019, 02:11
When I roll in FGC I see:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30843&d=1576288477

I don't believe you should target with the breath weapon since there might be several creatures that have different bonus/penalties and can be evaded completely with an Agility -2 (pg 100). SWADE grenades use Athletics (pg 78) as well and can be evaded too.

Slagmoth
December 20th, 2019, 02:58
I was wondering if conditional modifiers based on types of damage were supported yet, or if they ever will be? Example: a Ring of Fire Protection would add +4 armor to fire based attacks and +2 to avoidable effects of the same type. Which then begs the follow up question will there be an update to allow for added trapping/damage types that can be leveraged in the conditional code?

I would have to say that this would be a huge boon. I guess are custom tags used in this ruleset and can they be used in such a way?

Matchstickman
January 8th, 2020, 15:59
Not sure if this is the appropriate place or not but there are a couple of typo type errors in the new release (not programming ones).

Snake, Venomous
Erroneously has a bite damage of Str, when it should be Str+2 (so a flat d4, not d4-2)

Injury Table
The numbers are off, they should be Leg: 10-11 and Head: 12 not Leg: 10 and Head: 11-12

There is a creature in the NPC list "Zombie, Human", where is it from in the physical book? And why is the Intimidation a die type lower than the other zombie template? I think "Zombie, Human" can be safely removed as a duplicate.

Eru the One
January 8th, 2020, 18:07
There is a creature in the NPC list "Zombie, Human", where is it from in the physical book? And why is the Intimidation a die type lower than the other zombie template? I think "Zombie, Human" can be safely removed as a duplicate.

I believe this was to be used for the base Zombie power, pg 171, "The being has the physical skills it had in life, but its Smarts, Spirit, and related skills are reset to d4."

So that is why Intimidation is a d4 for that entry, but honestly, if you get a raise or add power points to Zombie the NPC will have varied stats anyway.

amerigoV
January 18th, 2020, 16:51
A couple of enhancements requests for the next version :)

The first is easy (cuz I did it myself :)). Tests and Support are used much more in SWADE than their counterparts were in prior editions. Tests are already there - you just apply Distracted/Vulnerable as chosen by the Tester and Shaken if its a Raise. For Support, I suggest adding it as an Effect. I just put in Support [Trait +1] and Support Raise [Trait +2] for 1 Round. In the combat tracker its nice to see the formal reason for the +1/+2 and the player getting the support does not have to track it (the Supporter can drag/drop it). The reason I suggest it is there are PC builds where Support is used quite a bit (one who does not get in the mix of combat but helps all their comrades) - I have a player who does such in a game I am about to port over from Roll20. This also allows the player to drag them down to his quickbar and dish out as desired (in my game the PC has an edge that allows him to support 2 PCs in some situations, so having separate +1 and +2 might be quicker long term vs editing [Trait +1/2]).

The second - maybe one can do now but its a step up from where I am at (still a Rookie). The Assassin edge triggers if the target is Vulnerable or is subject to the Drop. I was surprised that was not programmed in (the surprise is due to everything else the ruleset does - so this is a complement). Right now my workaround is to just make a subattack and give it an indicative name with +2 to the damage dice. The conditions there are clear cut - Drop Effect on the PC or @Vulnerable - versus things that are more situational like Sweep.

Thanks for all the hard work on this ruleset. I am excited to formally switch my game over to FG in a couple of weeks - I would not do so without it!

lozanoje
January 23rd, 2020, 18:51
Shouldnt the vehicles group viewing in SWADE show Handling instead of Acc?

https://i.ibb.co/856wY2Y/screenshot-11.png (https://ibb.co/4TPL1M1)

Matchstickman
March 24th, 2020, 17:52
Found a problem with creating NPCs, I want to assign Animal level intelligence but when I rightclick on Smarts I get an error of
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (smartsanimal)

lozanoje
March 30th, 2020, 00:38
Is there any known problem with ganging-up bonus? Today in my game (FGC) I've experienced problems with defeated markers (incapacited enemies) adding up the bonus to ganging-up of close living npcs attacking my players.

I was gming, so I had no time to pay attention to it and fixed the problem on the fly.

amerigoV
March 31st, 2020, 13:59
Is there any known problem with ganging-up bonus? Today in my game (FGC) I've experienced problems with defeated markers (incapacited enemies) adding up the bonus to ganging-up of close living npcs attacking my players.

I was gming, so I had no time to pay attention to it and fixed the problem on the fly.

I had thought that bug had been fixed. I had noticed it too. If all else fails, drag the token over a bit before you splatter them.

lozanoje
March 31st, 2020, 15:11
I had thought that bug had been fixed. I had noticed it too. If all else fails, drag the token over a bit before you splatter them.

The NPC at the upper right corner attacking a PC, ganging-up bonus +3:

https://i.ibb.co/Fg5VDHK/screenshot-86.png (https://ibb.co/SRtr3fP)

Eru the One
April 3rd, 2020, 06:59
I'm unable to re-create in SWD/SWADE with no extensions. Do you have any extensions loaded? Please run a /version and post it.

spite
April 3rd, 2020, 08:49
Having issues making powers. Clicking on new item makes a sort of "limited" power that you can not open to add information to it. Example here - https://puu.sh/FsAuM/3f1fde053b.jpg the top one is the broken version. The bottom one is how it SHOULD be, with the clickable box on the right.
The next issue, somehow the clickable boxes link to the wrong powers. In that image, the box on the bottom flame bolt opens the top flame bolt, and that's an issue. I have had to make two to make that work. Example here of this in action. https://puu.sh/FsAxs/1d07686de6.gif

lozanoje
April 3rd, 2020, 09:20
I'm unable to re-create in SWD/SWADE with no extensions. Do you have any extensions loaded? Please run a /version and post it.

https://i.ibb.co/K09m1qM/screenshot-39.jpg (https://ibb.co/gjD6nT5)
https://i.ibb.co/hBjnFN1/screenshot-40.jpg (https://ibb.co/LxWqdyh)

Extensions:

* DOE
* Two themes that changes aesthetics (icons, background, decals).
* Adventure deck and custom cards.
* Modules contains images related with the setting.

The only thing that modifies something related with rules is to change Arcane Backgrounds.

If it does work for you, i think I have to test it without extensions.

EDIT: I have just tested with all extensions loaded, three defeated markers and the remaining NPC does not add the +3 ganging-up bonus, so I cant reproduce the problem. I will pay attention to the next gaming session.

Eru the One
April 3rd, 2020, 18:06
One thing I did notice was that the defeated marks disappear if you shutdown FG. I was going to try some other iterations of making defeated tokens and found that they didn't stay after a FG recycle.

Matchstickman
April 8th, 2020, 01:24
Another bug, when you click on the link for Level Headed on the NPCs Dragon, Vampire, and Vampire, Ancient sheets, it takes you to the description for Improved Level Headed.

(Classic in case it matters)

Nightpaw
April 9th, 2020, 13:44
Savage Worlds Deluxe: Charisma should be added to Persuasion and Streetwise rolls, but this won't work.

lozanoje
April 9th, 2020, 22:07
This is not an issue specifically about 5.1, moved here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55962-SWADE-is-incompatible-with-AudioOverseer-(or-the-contrary)

wladtapas
April 15th, 2020, 14:44
A couple of small errors I noticed in SWADE:

- The table headings for Watercrafts and Aircrafts should read Watercraft and Aircraft.
- The damage of the Winchester '73 appears to be 2d81 in FGU. However, in FGC it shows up correctly as 2d8-1. so perhaps there is some issue with the minus sign in FGU, assuming the rulesets use the same source data?

jimweaver
March 21st, 2021, 03:12
Are range modifiers auto-applied if your map has an inch grid scale? I'm guessing not - seems like it would be too hard to deal with all the different options folks can use to grid and scale the grid of their maps.

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 14:22
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. When you put a grid on your map each square will be considered 1". With FGU you can make the grid lines invisible. If you measure distances it will be in inches, not squares

Edit: You have to draw the grid in Fantasy Grounds on the map. If you don't draw a grid FGs has no reference to use for range and distance.

So if you have a gridded map image you will still need to draw a grid on it in Fantasy Grounds. It might be hard to get the lines to line-up but there are buttons you can use to nudge the lines

jimweaver
March 21st, 2021, 16:00
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. When you put a grid on your map each square will be considered 1". With FGU you can make the grid lines invisible. If you measure distances it will be in inches, not squares

Edit: You have to draw the grid in Fantasy Grounds on the map. If you don't draw a grid FGs has no reference to use for range and distance.

So if you have a gridded map image you will still need to draw a grid on it in Fantasy Grounds. It might be hard to get the lines to line-up but there are buttons you can use to nudge the lines

Sorry! I'll clarify: I imported a custom image for a map, and I gridded that image. In the details of the grid, I set each square to be 1 for value and "inch" for unit. When I put this map in play mode and draw a "Pointer" on it, or target one token from another token during combat, the resulting pointer graphic does have the correct range printed on its label. So "6.7 inches", etc.

But I'm not sure if a to hit roll (or an attack roll, whatever SW calls it) is having the range modifier applied automatically or not. If not, I will need to look at the range value listed on the arrow pointer, and manually apply a modifier before the attack roll is made - whether or not I need to to this is what I'm trying to figure.

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 16:19
Yes, it should. Ikael has automated a lot of the Savage Worlds functions so it should take range, Wounds, gang up bonus, MAP, running etc into account automatically. He really spoiled us so when you hit cases where you need to do things manually it's jarring and you go "oh oh, it's broken :P" I remember asking him about why my Rock and Roll Edge didn't automatically remove the -2 penalty for recoil. As he pointed out, it's situational...you have to not move to get it and FGs can't know if you're going to shoot and then move or just shoot and stand still. So, I made an effect that I put on my hotbar so I can drag it to my character to ignore recoil when it's appropriate.

Edit: Oh, and before you make the same mistake as I did last year when I started using FGs, that little box that says Modifier in the bottom left...you can't use that to set modifiers for players...that's why GM is next to it - it will only modify the next roll that you make. If you tell a player he has a -1 penalty to a roll, he will have to add that to the modifier box on his end (or you can put an effect on him that gives a -1, or just let him roll and do it in your head :) )

Edit2: There's still some cases where the Gang Up bonus goes wonky. It's not consistent or recreateable, but there are some times it doesn't see allies as being next to the target or it sees blood splatters as still being allies. But most of the time it works fine.

jimweaver
March 21st, 2021, 16:52
Yes, it should. Ikael has automated a lot of the Savage Worlds functions so it should take range, Wounds, gang up bonus, MAP, running etc into account automatically. He really spoiled us so when you hit cases where you need to do things manually it's jarring and you go "oh oh, it's broken :P" I remember asking him about why my Rock and Roll Edge didn't automatically remove the -2 penalty for recoil. As he pointed out, it's situational...you have to not move to get it and FGs can't know if you're going to shoot and then move or just shoot and stand still. So, I made an effect that I put on my hotbar so I can drag it to my character to ignore recoil when it's appropriate.

Edit: Oh, and before you make the same mistake as I did last year when I started using FGs, that little box that says Modifier in the bottom left...you can't use that to set modifiers for players...that's why GM is next to it - it will only modify the next roll that you make. If you tell a player he has a -1 penalty to a roll, he will have to add that to the modifier box on his end (or you can put an effect on him that gives a -1, or just let him roll and do it in your head :) )

Edit2: There's still some cases where the Gang Up bonus goes wonky. It's not consistent or recreateable, but there are some times it doesn't see allies as being next to the target or it sees blood splatters as still being allies. But most of the time it works fine.

Ah ,thanks for that. We'll test some more before we start a full-blown campaign and get used to it. And you're right, I was already planning to use that modifier box to set modifiers on the player's behalf before they make a roll. This means I need to teach them where the "+/-" button is for canned modifiers to possibly speed that up a bit for them.

If I or someone screws up and rolls before the modifiers were set right, is there any way to retroactively fix from the chat window where the roll is recorded? I'm thinking in most cases that won't be a big deal to just conversationally realize that's not a hit or is a hit, etc.

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 17:11
Honestly, with Savage Worlds, most of the time there's a modifier to a roll it's going to be auto applied. A lot of the situational modifiers are tied to effects (Distracted, Vulnerable, etc). So if the character has that effect on them the associated modifiers will be auto-applied. The few times I asked for a check that needed a modifier, like a Common Knowledge roll with a -2 penalty because it was vague information, I just had the player roll and mentally take away 2 from the final result - not a 4+ then it failed. If a player has The Drop on someone, put The Drop effect on them before they roll and it'll handle the bonuses to hit and damage.

I just realized, there are some modifiers that you can apply to the characters for them. If you go into Effects, and click on Global in the top left, you can set stuff like Illumination levels (hmmm, weird, last time I opened it it was populated, but it's empty now). Anyway, if you say the light is Dim, and you add the effect to the Global tab, when you enable it, it'll effect EVERYONE in the combat (PCs and NPCs) and therefore everyone will have a -2 to Notice and Attack rolls unless they can ignore Dim lighting.

Honestly, most of the stuff in the "+/-" button is handled automatically. Scanning it, the called shots are about the only thing you would need it for. Everything else is handled automatically (range. gangup, recoil, etc). Some of them you might need to add to an attack as an effect (like Three Round Burst - see one of the threads below). The offhand attack I can't remember if there's an effect for that (you could just put a subattack on the weapon with an effect with the offhand penalty for when it's used as an offhand attack and then it would be handled automatically.

Edit: I often suggest to players that they put the common effects they use, like Wild Attack, to their hotbars and then they can add the effects themselves and save you a little work.

And for the Called Shots, if your players use it a lot and forget to do the modifiers themselves (and, since the Called Shot only has the attack roll penalty, not the damage bonus that they'll have to add themselves anyway), you might want to make Called Shot effects that can be added to a character as they attack

jimweaver
March 21st, 2021, 17:16
Honestly, with Savage Worlds, most of the time there's a modifier to a roll it's going to be auto applied. A lot of the situational modifiers are tied to effects (Distracted, Vulnerable, etc). So if the character has that effect on them the associated modifiers will be auto-applied. The few times I asked for a check that needed a modifier, like a Common Knowledge roll with a -2 penalty because it was vague information, I just had the player roll and mentally take away 2 from the final result - not a 4+ then it failed.

I just realized, there are some modifiers that you can apply to the characters for them. If you go into Effects, and click on Global in the top left, you can set stuff like Illumination levels (hmmm, weird, last time I opened it it was populated, but it's empty now). Anyway, if you say the light is Dim, and you add the effect to the Global tab, when you enable it, it'll effect EVERYONE in the combat (PCs and NPCs) and therefore everyone will have a -2 to Notice and Attack rolls unless they can ignore Dim lighting.

Honestly, most of the stuff in the "+/-" button is handled automatically. Scanning it, the called shots are about the only thing you would need it for. Everything else is handled automatically (range. gangup, recoil, etc). Some of them you might need to add to an attack as an effect (like Three Round Burst - see one of the threads below). The offhand attack I can't remember if there's an effect for that (you could just put a subattack on the weapon with an effect with the offhand penalty for when it's used as an offhand attack and then it would be handled automatically.

Thank you so much - I have not played with the effects much, so I will experiment with this. One of the heroes we are testing with - to learn both FGU and SWADE before we have like 5 players piling in - does have Two Gun Kid I think, and does not currently have Ambidextrous, so that hero may be good to experiment with how to most easily toggle the Offhand penalty. I'll also keep an eye on range modifiers being auto-applied tonight when we try another trial. We're doing Deadlands Weird West soon - so in the prep stage so things go more smoothly at the start.

Ah, just realized - Cover is probably one that would need to be manually applied as either an effect or a roll modifier. No way the engine could detect that automatically. I'm guessing that one would best work as an effect applied to the Hero or NPC in question.

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 17:22
Gotcha...I was playing a Cyberknight in Savage Rifts and had the melee version of that Edge and it seemed to work properly (though I believe my character had Ambidextrous too)

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 17:23
This wiki is in dire need of an update and more examples (stuff has been added) but it'll get you started

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Effects#:~:text=In%20Savage%20Worlds %20ruleset%20effects,apply%20the%20modifier%20as%2 0effect.

jimweaver
March 21st, 2021, 17:28
This wiki is in dire need of an update and more examples (stuff has been added) but it'll get you started

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Effects#:~:text=In%20Savage%20Worlds %20ruleset%20effects,apply%20the%20modifier%20as%2 0effect.

I will give it a read - also have gone through some of the Unity specific documentation. Yes, in general, getting started with Fantasy Grounds is a bit of a hurdle. There seem to be a lot of wikis and forum posts and videos, but the problem is that a lot of it is no longer accurate or not helpful for a ruleset-specific question like for SWADE. That's really tough given the number of rulesets supported, the pace of their new releases, and the size of the company. The forums here have been huge - big help.

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 17:33
Ok, read Two Gun again. So that's an example of one where it doesn't know if you are going to be shooting twice (one with each hand) or shooting with one hand and casting a spell, etc so it can't auto apply it. However, it also doesn't autoapply MAP. I could Shoot 3 times with a gun and it won't apply penalties. What a player has to do is change the number of actions they are doing (toggle above the run button in the bottom left) before they take their turn. When I had Two Weapon Fighting and was only going to attack with my main hand and my offhand I just left it as 1 action. That way no MAP was added. If I was going to attack 3 times (main hand, offhand, main hand) I set it to 2 Actions and then they all got a -2 penalty (not the -4 I would have received if I didn't have Two Weapon Fighting). As I mentioned I had Ambidextrous, but I don't think there's a way for it to know that a weapon is offhand. So, either manually add the penalty, or as I mentioned make a subattack called Offand and put a [>Shooting -2] effect on it. Then when he shoots with it, he uses that subattack and it'll automatically do a -2 to the Shooting roll

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 17:34
I will give it a read - also have gone through some of the Unity specific documentation. Yes, in general, getting started with Fantasy Grounds is a bit of a hurdle. There seem to be a lot of wikis and forum posts and videos, but the problem is that a lot of it is no longer accurate or not helpful for a ruleset-specific question like for SWADE. That's really tough given the number of rulesets supported, the pace of their new releases, and the size of the company. The forums here have been huge - big help.

That wiki is what got me able to run Savage Worlds games last summer....never really looked at the generic FGs ones as they seemed to be more geared to 5E

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 17:38
Hmmm, just looked at Ambidextrous in the Edges in FGs, it has [Ignore #Off-hand] That means there is a tag called Off-Hand so you should be able to add that to an attack and it'll automatically do it.

Edit: Yeah, I just took a character and added [#Offhand] to a gun and now when I shoot with it, it has a -2 penalty When I give Ambidextrous to the character, and shoot it now says Ignored +0 instead of the -2.

jimweaver
March 21st, 2021, 17:54
Hmmm, just looked at Ambidextrous in the Edges in FGs, it has [Ignore #Off-hand] That means there is a tag called Off-Hand so you should be able to add that to an attack and it'll automatically do it.

Edit: Yeah, I just took a character and added [#Offhand] to a gun and now when I shoot with it, it has a -2 penalty When I give Ambidextrous to the character, and shoot it now says Ignored +0 instead of the -2.

That is excellent. Do you know if there is a list of those # keywords somewhere that can be navigated to in the UI, or are those from the effects list and just being referenced with the # prefix? In any case, that will be handy, and as the GM I'll be helping players with their character sheets anyway, so can help them setup things like that when needed.

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 18:00
No...that's what I mean about the wiki needing update. Guess Ikael can spend his time adding stuff or working on documentation. He usually adds notes to the relevant threads. You can see a lot of them in the Effects list. Others will be seen in the Edges and Hindrances entries...you'd have to open each of them...like I did with Ambidextrous to see how it's coded

Edit: Oh races have a lot as do some equipment

Mike Serfass
March 21st, 2021, 22:57
@jimweaver: You'll have players forget to target enemies, or forget to add modifiers and effects, and such. When that happens, you can drag the rolls from chat onto enemies in combat tracker.
Also, numbers in CT can be modified by the GM. You can hover over the number and Ctrl+mouse wheel or just click on the box and type the new number. I do this when a player forgets to add a called shot penalty or a bonus. That way the CT will change miss to hit or hit to crit, etc. Same with damage. It will adjust wounds, shaken, and the like.

You can also drag an attack from one character to another in CT. Useful when a player targets the wrong enemy. CT will move the attack, and damage, if you didn't catch the mistake before damage is rolled.

I didn't realize I could do this my first few games. I'm getting quick with CT, and we do less math in our head and let the app do more work.

I recently realized that when attacks miss or damage has no effect, I do not need to clear it from CT. When the turn changes, those ineffective attacks will be automatically removed. I used to spend time scrolling around to find those items to delete them. Now I ignore them and they just go away. That saves me time.

I hope that helps.

jimweaver
March 21st, 2021, 23:01
@jimweaver: You'll have players forget to target enemies, or forget to add modifiers and effects, and such. When that happens, you can drag the rolls from chat onto enemies in combat tracker.
Also, numbers in CT can be modified by the GM. You can hover over the number and Ctrl+mouse wheel or just click on the box and type the new number. I do this when a player forgets to add a called shot penalty or a bonus. That way the CT will change miss to hit or hit to crit, etc. Same with damage. It will adjust wounds, shaken, and the like.

You can also drag an attack from one character to another in CT. Useful when a player targets the wrong enemy. CT will move the attack, and damage, if you didn't catch the mistake before damage is rolled.

I didn't realize I could do this my first few games. I'm getting quick with CT, and we do less math in our head and let the app do more work.

I recently realized that when attacks miss or damage has no effect, I do not need to clear it from CT. When the turn changes, those ineffective attacks will be automatically removed. I used to spend time scrolling around to find those items to delete them. Now I ignore them and they just go away. That saves me time.

I hope that helps.

I had no idea you could do any of that! Mind you I've only run test combats a grand total of twice at this point ;-). This post was super helpful - thanks! We'll have 4 players, and they're all much happier at a physical table with physical dice, so I expect rolls will need to be fixed frequently in online sessions....

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 23:35
Yeah that's my group. I've owned FGs since 2005 and never really used until last year. All of us have been playing around a table since the 70s and 80s and we've all been playing as a group on Saturday night since the mid 90s. None of us want to use a virtual tabletop but have no choice really right now.

IceBear
March 21st, 2021, 23:38
Btw...the savageworlds channel in the Fantasy Grounds Discord is helpful

IceBear
March 22nd, 2021, 01:28
Btw...if you're looking for SavageWorlds videos Kevin Doswell has a bunch of videos on YouTube. He even did a Deadlands one recently. They're actual plays but you can see how he's using Fantasy Grounds in them for tips on how to use it efficiently