PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about using FG and getting back into AD&D

Pio
October 2nd, 2019, 03:22
So I had been a DM for ages in very old versions of AD&D (2nd Ed, etc)...

What I was wondering was the following:

- I already have all of the 5ed book and most of the modules , do I need to re-buy them here?

- What is the ramp up speed on using the FG UI in regards to play ?

- What is the ramp up speed on using the FG UI on custom campaign development?

- Finally, my son is a bit interested in playing (college) but is new , what is the attitude toward new player , in general ?

Thanks in advance!

LordEntrails
October 2nd, 2019, 03:34
Welcome, let me give you my opinions :)

- I already have all of the 5ed book and most of the modules , do I need to re-buy them here?
Nope. You or players can create the items (classes, feats, etc) as needed directly on a character sheet or you can make your own versions of the books in FG using the UI. You can get more details on pros and cons on re-buying the books here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

This depends on you. Some people say it is very hard and tedious and time consuming. Me it was pretty easy and intuitive. That said, I used to learning and using numerous UIs and I don't demand that any one application work like another. That said, whatever boat you are in; Read the Manual, use the Tutorial Campaign. And then if you want watch YouTube video and take a free class at FG College.

Again, depends on you. But, the UI is very easy to use. Check out the link in my signature for best practices. Come to it with an open mind and do things the FG way, not some way that you would do it in a different tool. There are community tools for converting/importing stuff into FG, but I personally just develop right in FG 90% of the time.

- Finally, my son is a bit interested in playing (college) but is new , what is the attitude toward new player , in general ?
Excellent. IMO this is the most open, welcoming, and helpful community I participate in on the net. It's why I've become so active in the community. Again, FG College can teach not only how to use FG, but how to play RPGs too. Also, check out www.fg-con.com, player registration is not open quite yet, but it's a lot of fun and a great way to learn or explore something new.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2019, 15:26
Welcome to the FG forums Pio!

You mention AD&D - this year Fantasy Grounds got a license to produce an official AD&D ruleset and products. If that's what you want to play, then you can play that on Fantasy Grounds, it does't have to be D&D 5E. :)

celestian
October 2nd, 2019, 15:36

Thanks in advance!

Like Trenloe said, there is actually an AD&D ruleset and content (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=27&sort=1) for it if you'd like to keep playing AD&D. I've been a big fan of it myself for a while and really like how FG can make it easier for anyone to play (automate a lot of the confusing parts).

FG takes a little time to learn but there are many resources on this, here and on youtube (and twitch).

You can pretty quickly pick up the content if you want to just purchase it (AD&D or 5E) in the FG store and be playing almost immediately.

If the group is being created by you just make sure everyone knows there will be varying experience levels. I personally have never had anyone complain about having people unfamiliar with the rules in the game. Whether you play AD&D or 5E using FG it really does abstract out a lot of the rules so really, most people can just "play" and not spend so much time having to learn all the rules indepth.

Good luck!