PDA

View Full Version : FG GURPS Mod Maker - for drag-n-drop items

Jaxilon
October 2nd, 2019, 02:40
Barring some hang up, ronnke is looking to drop the updates for the new ruleset including drag-n-drop items as previously discussed soon, maybe even some time this week. If not, well, at least you will be ready.

That being the case, I'm sharing an app I created that creates items either from scratch or using exported data from GURPS Character Assistant. It is a windows app but I'm curious about trying to cross-port it. I haven't done that before but if I can I'll be sure to update the information.

So, until something better comes along to do all this...

Here are the links and video tutorials. If you have any questions or issues I'll do my best to help but remember I have a day job so I can only do the best I can.

These videos are my first foray so I hope they aren't completely terrible.

An introduction to Fantasy Grounds GURPS Mod Maker (https://youtu.be/37tFyP2MipY).

How to create items using GURPS Character Assistant (https://youtu.be/8dZc5PdJJHU).

To import from GURPS Character Sheet follow the same tutorial for GURPS Character Assistant (https://youtu.be/8dZc5PdJJHU) except instead of clicking GCA Import:

1 - select Options> GCS Import
2 - Navigate to one of the .eqp files (default installation location = C:\Program Files\GURPS Character Sheet\app\Library\Equipment\)

Download the Fantasy Grounds GURPS Mod Maker (https://rebrand.ly/FGGurpsModMaker) here.

Hopefully I have all those links setup right. If not, I'll be keeping a close eye out to fix it, just let me know.

Happy gaming GURPSers!

UPDATE INFO
v 1.0.0.2 10/29/2019 : Minor xml textual modifications required for FGU - just redownload the mod maker and reinstall. FG Classic also works with this.
v 1.0.0.3 11/27/2019 : added some sorting to make the xml a little easier to read, not that many people will need to.
v 1.0.0.4 03/08/2020 : Updated to allow import from GURPS Character Sheet.
v 1.0.0.5 03/13/2020 : Fixed bug where some items where created with leading space in damage field which caused issues with damage parsing.
v 1.0.0.6 03/28/2020 : Vehicles added, Animals included in Items file under "Mount", toggle to create read-only .mod files, resolved some buggy items, minor refinements.
v 1.0.0.7 03/29/2020 : bug fixes to vehicle xml file, corrected repeat information in Notes field.
v 1.0.0.8 04/09/2020 : Fixed vanishing colors. Some bugs. ADDED ability to import TRAITS from GCS (beta feature).
v 1.0.0.9 04/15/2020 : Added ABILITIES and reworked several things with Traits, items and so on. I think that means you can now populate everything in FG.
v 1.0.1.0 _same day_ : It now automatically uninstalls the previous version. Having to manually uninstall annoyed me.
v 1.0.2.0 04/18/2020 : Creates zip file out of memory instead of writing to disk first. Fixed weight to get rid of "lbs" as that caused FG to not show it, removed special characters from filenames, imports GCS Tactical Shooting now.
v 1.0.3.0 04/22//2020 : Update to correctly populate Spell resist. it was after the "/" in spell cost before.
v 2.0.0.0 08/11//2021 : Quality of life update as requested. Also, migrated to .NET 5.0
v 2.0.0.0 08/13//2021 : Forgot to update the version number but fixed a bug creating armor items as weight of 45 rather than 4.5
v 2.0.0.1 08/14//2021 : Updated the version number and fixed issues with some Armor items ending up as Equipment. You may need to manually Uninstall the previous version if you find nothing seemed to change.

Jaxilon
October 2nd, 2019, 15:56
I have uploaded an update to better handle directory issues that were causing problems for some of us. Re-download the Mod Maker from the link above. You may have to uninstall the previous version in order to install this one.

I may not have mentioned it in the video but you can change the directory you write to by double clicking the text box containing "Directory to save to". The original default was my own special folder but it now defaults to your user documents folder.

Additionally, there are tool tips on a lot of things so if in doubt try hovering over an item to see if there is a helpful hint. I'll continue updating as I get feedback and as I have time.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 2nd, 2019, 16:36
I will try this "new" version

Jaxilon
October 2nd, 2019, 16:56
I will try this "new" version

I appreciate your testing since as the developer I tend to use it the way I intended but that may not be the way others do things.

seycyrus
October 2nd, 2019, 18:01
This is awesome! Thanks you for all your hard work!

As an extra benefit, by watching your video I learned a couple of things about GCA4!

One thing I am curious about is importing arrows etc. as an item. The ammo counter decrements when the attack dice on the weapon are rolled, but that isn't linked to the actual arrow. Is there any way to address this?

Jaxilon
October 2nd, 2019, 21:36
This is awesome! Thanks you for all your hard work!

As an extra benefit, by watching your video I learned a couple of things about GCA4!

One thing I am curious about is importing arrows etc. as an item. The ammo counter decrements when the attack dice on the weapon are rolled, but that isn't linked to the actual arrow. Is there any way to address this?

Thanks and you are welcome.

As far as I know there is no connection between Ammo and the combat tabs however it will count down. Of course, items like an Atlatl which use Darts or Javelins are an extra challenge. I haven't looked at Dingo's tactical extension but I think I recall there being something about ammo in there. At some point it would be nice to add a link between items in Inventory and the ammo however. I can almost see how that might be done but...I gotta get back to my own gaming at some point :)

I'll kick it around my brain, who knows. I think it would require the Ammo field being relocated to each Mode. Then when you fired the mode it would deduct that ammo associated with it.
Maybe ronnke has something else he's going to add into the roll out?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
October 2nd, 2019, 21:45
Jaxilon, the software works fine, after the corrections, thanks for your dedication.
Now I'm wating the release of the new version of the GURPS Ruleset.

Jaxilon
October 2nd, 2019, 22:31
Jaxilon, the software works fine, after the corrections, thanks for your dedication.
Now I'm wating the release of the new version of the GURPS Ruleset.

Awesome, glad to hear it.

seycyrus
October 3rd, 2019, 03:39
@Jaxilon

I tried the entire routine using GCA4 and seem to be doing something wrong. I don't have the attack modes properly populated.

Jaxilon
October 3rd, 2019, 03:53
@Jaxilon

I tried the entire routine using GCA4 and seem to be doing something wrong. I don't have the attack modes properly populated.

You look like you're in pretty good shape but as far as I know ronnke hasn't rolled out the GURPS ruleset updated to take advantage of the new stuff yet.

seycyrus
October 3rd, 2019, 03:57
You look like you're in pretty good shape but as far as I know ronnke hasn't rolled out the GURPS ruleset updated to take advantage of the new stuff yet.

Ah, ok. Good to know. I'll proceed with my item generation, thanks again.

Jaxilon
October 3rd, 2019, 04:01
Sounds good.

And for the record, so everyone can be patient, remember that ronnke has to go over everything I've turned over to him, make sure all the files are in order PLUS merge it with anything else he may have already been working on. And that's all if there no issues whatsoever. So, that's a bit of extra load he has to manage.

Herodian
October 5th, 2019, 05:18
Thanks for staying on top of these issues, guys. Thanks also for being respectful of ronnke's limited time.

Jaxilon
October 29th, 2019, 23:46
I've updated the mod maker to work with FGU. It still works with FG classic so no worries there. Only minor tweaks to the xml were needed so far.

Jaxilon
January 13th, 2020, 03:00
In view of the (hopefully imminent) GURPS ruleset update I wanted to remind folks that if you would like to have items that drag & drop and that can be used to create Parcels for party loot, the Mod Maker app will do the job.

It works because there are additional fields on the items data that need to be populated and the mod maker does this for you.

At some point in the future I would love to have the ability to create items within FG itself however that will require UI screen modifications to make those fields available for edit. Some one of us will get to that at some point. "Some one of us" being one of our community with the time to work for FREE and willingness to dig into details of window creation in FG. If nobody beats me to it then at some point, maybe, I'll be that "some one of us". (Just being realistic when I say it's not currently high on my list).

Just be aware that if you are not using items created with ALL the fields then your dragging and dropping will lack the FULL functionality.

Unfortunately, until you actually have the new ruleset to work with, you can't really see what I'm talking about.

For example, if you delete an item from your inventory it should delete from your combat tabs. If you un-equip an item it will be hidden from your combat tabs. When you drag an item from one character to another it will recalculate the stats for the new character when appropriate. It does this for items like Knives and Javelins. Obviously, a bow built for a strength 15 character will still be a Strength 15 bow! Changing hands doesn't change the characteristics of the item. A Strength 8 Short-bow dropped by a weakling isn't going to ever be more than a ST 8 Short-bow, even if you are Hercules.

I also want make clear /importchar characters will NOT have items with the required details for all this. I have not messed with the character import script for FG but until it builds Items with all fields required these items won't have full functionality.

For myself, what I do is replace character items via dragging them from Items within FG to the character Inventory sheet. I then delete the items that were imported with the character. Mind, you have to manually delete the Combat tab entries so it may be easier to delete everything first then drag the replacements to the Inventory sheet and Equip them.

I know that is a small hassle but once done you don't have to do it again.

If you have the time you might import the characters and then have them go shopping inside Fantasy Grounds. That way you wouldn't have to deal with deleting stuff.

Another alternative is you could just go with it and as items are looted or purchased within FG using your fully populated Items the characters will be updated gradually.

I hope that's not convoluted. I figured it better to just say all this ahead of time so you can be ready to go when the new ruleset is available.

seycyrus
January 13th, 2020, 03:05
... I figured it better to just say all this ahead of time so you can be ready to go when the new ruleset is available.

Thanks for all your hard work! This is truly something that has been needed for some time.

One question however. Given that it does take a bit of time to create all these items tables ... What are your thoughts on whether it would need to be redone in FGU?

Jaxilon
January 13th, 2020, 03:46
I did make a modification for FGU but it was only xml tag code. Based on my limited testing the same output file works with both FG Classic and FGU.

As far as I can tell you shouldn't have to redo anything for FGU. Could that change? Sure since that's the nature of software but so far I think we are good.

Jaxilon
March 13th, 2020, 21:06
The Mod Maker was updated and with the newly released ruleset you can can now actually get the full functionality of drag and drop items.

In addition to creating items from scratch you can import items from GURPS character assistant (this has been the case for a while).

A new item that has been added is you can now import items from GURPS Character SHEET as well.

All the output from these various methods can be used to generate a .mod file that you can then open in Fantasy grounds so you have lots of items to drag and drop to characters, parcels and NPCs.

Download the latest edition from the link in the primary post on this thread.

TheMookNet
March 13th, 2020, 22:22
Who's awesome? *You're awesome* :) Thanks for this!

Jaxilon
March 14th, 2020, 08:06
Who's awesome? *You're awesome* :) Thanks for this!

Thanks for the kind word.

I updated again with a minor bug fix where some items where creating a leading space in the damages fields which caused issues with parsing in FG. We're talking items like Backsword & Combat fan but still, better to fix em as they come. Use version 1.0.0.5

Best regards!

Jaxilon
March 29th, 2020, 02:58
Asked for or not you can now have Vehicles!
Also, animals will populate the Items file and can be found under "Mount". Whoever says you can't mount a falcon is lacking imagination.

There is a checkbox defaulted to create your .mod files as STATIC so you can't butcher your items once you have them, however you are welcome to uncheck the box and let the anarchy reign.

For the record, there are bound to be some edge case items that don't react well to the rules. For instance, I found when importing some of my custom items the mods added in GCA don't do all that well. I settled for passing the mod info by appending it to the 'description'. At least that way you know what to do.

Next UP - I guess I'll think about adv/disadv, skills, etc just to have it all rounded out.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 29th, 2020, 04:14
I downloaded the new version of the program
I created a "character" with all vehicles and named it Vehicles, exported as .XML, imported into the program, defined an author and an image, exported, copied and pasted in the module folder, however when I open the module nothing appears . just a link to vehicles with everything blank.
What am I doing wrong?

Myrmidon
March 29th, 2020, 04:54
I tried clicking on the link for the Mod Maker but it says that it can't find the server. Do you all know if there is something wrong with the server or is the link bad?

Jaxilon
March 29th, 2020, 04:59
You didn't do anything wrong, I did. I always had more than just Vehicles in my test so certain xml fields where being created.

You can add one item not a vehicle or give me a minute and I'll upload a fix.

@Myrmidon I'll check that too.

Jaxilon
March 29th, 2020, 05:16
Ok, I think that fixed both issues. Sorry for the headaches.

@Mymidon, As for why the link didn't work I'm not sure. I was messing around trying to use a tool to shorten the URL so maybe you tried while I was moving stuff.

I did just use the link at the top of this thread and it downloaded for me. If you still have issues let me know.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 29th, 2020, 05:58
It was, but there are still some errors in filling in fields.

Jaxilon
March 29th, 2020, 06:11
It was, but there are still some errors in filling in fields.

images? I can address them if I know what they are.

Also, if you didn't download the newest version that allows you to process ONLY vehicles you might want to get that.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 29th, 2020, 13:20
These are some sample images, but the failure of the filled fields happens in all vehicles.

32751 32752 32753 32754

Jaxilon
March 29th, 2020, 19:35
These are some sample images, but the failure of the filled fields happens in all vehicles.

32751 32752 32753 32754

I see what are saying now and want to say thank you for the feedback. I'm not sure how I didn't see this myself - This is what happens when you code at 2am.

There was an issue in the building of the xml for vehicles that allowed it to build but didn't put the OOC and other fields in the right location. I have corrected this and version 1.0.0.7 is up on the front page.

If you find anything else let me know.

I've been so interrupted while trying to code lately that anything is possible.

I made these corrections while jumping back and forth helping to organize food relief for individuals who can't get out during the coronavirus quarantine and the 2pm curfews we are experiencing. Unfortunately, you only get a small percentage of my limited mental capacity for this fun stuff.

Hopefully I didn't introduce any other issues with the fix but if so, please be patient. I have to choose between rapid iteration and treating you as beta testers or taking more time to prove everything on my end which means you wait for who knows how long. :)

Best regards!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 29th, 2020, 19:40
I understand and appreciate the fact that I am supporting in whatever way I can, whether here in the forum or in the real world, and I can let any problem I inform you, to facilitate and speed up the launch of this wonderful facilitating tool.

BRUNOSALVADIO
March 29th, 2020, 21:51
Just to let you know, Stall and Draft are not going to transfer and the Notes are duplicated.

Jaxilon
March 30th, 2020, 00:49
Thank you, that would be because somehow I failed to even consider them and they were not included at all.

Remedied and I have updated version 1.0.0.7 to include these.

edit: for some reason I'm not getting any notification when this thread is replied to. I'll do my best to keep an eye out.

edit2: Also, got rid of duplicate data in notes field.

BRUNOSALVADIO
March 30th, 2020, 04:11
Thanks, I edited the file by hand, but even so I warned others not to do it .... and I also made a module with the grenades and I came across the following, it treats them as equipment and not a weapon, and even though they are ranged weapons, there is a crucial factor, the fuser (time it takes to detonate) so I believe that besides being something to be changed in your wonderful program, it would be something to be considered to be updated in some future launch of the ruleset, I know this is a throwing weapon, but it is special because it works with two types of damage "5d ex [1d] cr" and even more has a table just for them.

Jaxilon
March 30th, 2020, 04:53
Some grenades come through better than others.

For instance, if you use items from GCA Basic Set the concussion grenades do well. (See image)

Some grenades have a long string of variables to their damage and some are just "spcl" so you have to figure it out.

After the dust settles down from the stuff I've done so far I might take another look. There may also be some that would not take a lot of additional work to get them to come out as Type = Ranged Weapon, Subtype = Grenade.

Also, I've noted that some items are better coming from GCA and some are better coming from GCS. For example, there is a lot of nice Ammunition to be found in GCS that I don't ever recall seeing in GCA.

Myrmidon
March 30th, 2020, 15:44
@Jaxilon: I was able to download it this morning. It turns out it was a problem on my end. I look forward to working with it!

And a general question: Are there lists of items that have already been created?

Jaxilon
March 30th, 2020, 16:46
@Jaxilon: I was able to download it this morning. It turns out it was a problem on my end. I look forward to working with it!

And a general question: Are there lists of items that have already been created?

Happy to know it is working for you now.

As for lists, I've been creating them so often between updates I tend to just generate what I need.
I have created .mod files with like every item but I find they tend to load and search rather slowly in FG Unity (which I'm sure is the same in FGC) so I think it is probably best if you create specific files for specific items.

Once you get how it works you can pound them out pretty quickly.

Also, for everyone's information, if you load up a whole ton of items but only want certain things, you can go to the "RAW Data" tab and highlight/Delete everything you don't want, click "Convert" again and it will regenerate the items using only what you want.

Note: I just realized I need to reset the counter when I do that

So, for instance I could import from GCS the Action equipment and if I only wanted Ammunition I could sort it by subtype then delete everything NOT 'ammunition', hit "Convert" then "Export" to create a .mod file like this:

Granted, this is just some Equipment from a specific setting but it shows what you can do. Then You could setup mod files for different shops. I was imagining having an Armorsmith, a Weapons Shop and so forth. That way you could kind of role play the whole shopping around town experience. At any rate, that was what I was thinking to do with new players to teach them how FG works and all that. IF I ever get back to playing that is, LOL.

Myrmidon
March 30th, 2020, 17:53
Is there a way to apply different DR to different hit locations for an item through Mod Maker?

Also, is there a way to save a file or edit a mod file?

(Edit: Added second question.)

Jaxilon
March 31st, 2020, 00:21
Is there a way to apply different DR to different hit locations for an item through Mod Maker?

Also, is there a way to save a file or edit a mod file?

(Edit: Added second question.)

1) You can create items completely from scratch so yes. All you need to do is find the item in the "Raw Data" tab and change it however you want.

2) I hadn't thought of needing that but I can see how it might be helpful. I can look into it but for now the only way is to manually alter the xml files inside the .mod

jfletc12
April 2nd, 2020, 05:48
Hi, I've been trying upload melee weapons list on to FG and for large Knife i got the following error when equiped

script error: [scripts/manager_Gurps4e lua"] 231:attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'uesST' (a nil Value)

Jaxilon
April 2nd, 2020, 05:59
Hi, I've been trying upload melee weapons list on to FG and for large Knife i got the following error when equiped

script error: [scripts/manager_Gurps4e lua"] 231:attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'uesST' (a nil Value)

Do you have the most recent ruleset loaded? I thought that was corrected a couple iterations back.

Are you building from scratch, GCA or GCS?

Edit: I just loaded a "Large Knife" from both GCA and GCS without issue. I suspect you just need to install the more resent GURPS ruleset.

And so you can test it, here is a copy of a .mod file with just "Large Knife" that works for me.

jfletc12
April 3rd, 2020, 03:23
Thank you! installed the lastest ruleset. I Had trouble finding it but got their in the end and work beautifully.

Are you going to design a similar mod editor for traits and abilities, or is there one that already exsists?

Jaxilon
April 3rd, 2020, 03:44
Thank you! installed the lastest ruleset. I Had trouble finding it but got their in the end and work beautifully.

Are you going to design a similar mod editor for traits and abilities, or is there one that already exsists?

Xeonen created a script (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54628-FG-to-GCS-Skill-and-Spell-Import-Script) to do it but I plan to add this function to mod maker when I get a chance.

Maybe I'll work on it tomorrow if work doesn't fry my brain by then.

jfletc12
April 3rd, 2020, 03:46
Awesome, thank you again. Work I think is frying everyone head at the moment, take care and thank you again.

Baufrin
April 6th, 2020, 00:53
I was trying manual entry and ran into some issues:
1.) Cloth Armor turned into equipment. (Workaround was to make it a junk item and continue with the Armor cat.)
2.) Attempted to created a multi mode weapon became equipment.
3.) When attempting after a crash of the program to resume progress from last point data fields lose color coding and all items convert as equipment.

Jaxilon
April 6th, 2020, 15:37
I was trying manual entry and ran into some issues:
1.) Cloth Armor turned into equipment. (Workaround was to make it a junk item and continue with the Armor cat.)
2.) Attempted to created a multi mode weapon became equipment.
3.) When attempting after a crash of the program to resume progress from last point data fields lose color coding and all items convert as equipment.

I will visit this and see what I can duplicate. Not knowing exactly what you entered it might be impossible to create the same issue but I've been focused on the import code so much it is possible issues have been introduced on the manual side of things. I'll be back :)

Baufrin
April 6th, 2020, 18:00
Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions. I do my best to answer completely. I was using info from GURPS Lite 4e and manually entering it into the mod make if that helps. I am doing it as a bit of a lark and a possible intro to GURPS for newbies you know don't overload people just start and then if there is interest then work up to more complex situations.

Jaxilon
April 10th, 2020, 02:13
Sorry I wasn't quicker to respond. I actually fixed your points right away but then I forged ahead on getting Traits to work.
Colors is fixed. I added tool tips to many of the column headings to help explain what they are for.
By the way, it's helpful when creating items manually to right click on that first "cat" column to get a selection to make sure you set that up correctly. I think this was what was tripping up your dual items.

Traits
It's not perfect so consider Traits a beta feature. Right now you can only import Traits (eg, Advantages) from Gurps Character Sheet (GCS). Exactly like you import for items or vehicles.
I haven't tried all of them but Basic Set as well as Dungeon Fantasy work.

I'll work on GCA as soon as I feel like looking at Advantages again but it will probably be a few days just because I need a break. :)

Known issues
Action does not work - it has some numbers issues with multipliers I'll have to iron out.

Hopefully I didn't break anything but as usual let me know.

Tesey
April 11th, 2020, 20:07
Hello. Thank you for the program.
Currently, the app does not work correctly with Cyrillic.
Please add character conversion. See the attached .txt file for matching the character encoding in GCS and FG.

Jaxilon
April 11th, 2020, 22:13
Hello. Thank you for the program.
Currently, the app does not work correctly with Cyrillic.
Please add character conversion. See the attached .txt file for matching the character encoding in GCS and FG.

Now there's something I don't get asked for every day. I'll see what I can do.

HalC
April 14th, 2020, 09:55
Hi All,
I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and got myself "functional" with the Mod program. That having been said, I started working with the spreadsheet database I already created and intended to write my own VB.NET exe application for, and went to see whether or not I could get it to work with the Mod Maker. So, below are some of the thoughts I had, some of the experiments I tried, and some of my likes and dislikes. Note too - I only TOO well understand the irony of the phrase "In my copious spare time" when/where it comes to writing code and having to balance my work life with my home life and my family life and even with my Fantasy Grounds time as GM...

So, on with my "experiments". My spreadsheet that I have with my data, has but 6 columns.
It has:
Category (which would be the subtype in Fantasy Grounds xml),
Name (name in xml),
cost (cost in xml),
lc (lc in xml),
tl (tl in xml) and
notes (which would be notes in xml for fantasy grounds).
By default, all of these entries would be "Equipment" as the type...

I thought to myself "Let's try copying an entire row into clipboard, and pasting the contents of excel into the mod maker. As might be expected, they all copied into one cell rather than into 6 cells. I wasn't discouraged by that, so I tried the next trick that came to mind. I clicked on the row number in Excel so it would take every single column's worth of the row and perhaps paste it that way. Nope, that also only pastes into one cell. This is NOT a critique against the program simply because a program only does what the coder wants it to do, not one bit more.

So, I got a pleasant surprise when I tried my next experiment. Jaxilon did not (thankfully so!) arrange his columns in a fixed manner. For instance, when the program first starts up, you see the following:

cat name nameext description notes (plus another 25 fields)

Now, what if I wanted to arrange it so that the first five fields/columns of Jaxilon's Mod maker were to display things in this order...

nameext notes cat name description

It turns out, that you can click on a column name and drag it to a new location such that the order is changed. This may prove to be important for when I want to fill only those fields closest to the visible work area of the mod maker, instead of having to hunt for the proper column using the slider bar. It is a user "comfort" thing more than anything else.

I could say more, but I do NOT want to take on the tone of someone who is demanding things that the original programmer may not have the free time to supply. But as a user of the software, this would be on my wish list:

Get rid of the buttons "Convert" and "export". These are things that could be moved into the menu itself (and have hot-keys to activate). Everything else where you have the name for the mod, author name, path to save things to - can either become their own menu items, or rolled into the "Save" dialog. The picture icon - well, that needs to stay where it is because it is the part, if required, needs to be done prior to saving.

Then I'd fold all of the "Options" items into the File menu item.

Just don't get rid of Options just yet. In that menu list, I'd like to see the ability to "hide/unhide Fields" so that if we don't want or need to see a given field, we can opt out of viewing the fields we don't want. Also, if there is to be no "Import Excel data" option, then the ability to use the cipboard for multiple cell copies to multiple cell paste in his datagridview would be wonderful.

In short, Mod Maker does what it sets out to do - and I've no doubt that Jaxilon had to spend a lot of skull sweat figuring out the formatting of the XML fields exported by GCA, then arranging them as necessary. Making order out of chaos couldn't have been easy.

Jaxilon
April 14th, 2020, 17:39
I'll have to let all that sink in.

You are right there was much time spent absorbing the chaos. GURPS just has so many variables it may not be possible to account for every edge case. I have done my best for a first shot endeavor.

At the moment I'm trying to nail down the last of things needed to populate everything like Advantages, Skills and so forth but I'm anxious to get back to working on my game world. I'm sure my players are wondering if I ever will.

After that, if I regenerate some energy for it I'd like to redo this as a more web based cross platform application but that is going to depend on interest and mostly my own time.

What began as a passion project to remedy the envy towards what other rulesets had at their fingertips has evolved into much more than I expected. BUT, I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

There are some things I'd like to add and some refinements that are needed but once I get this last push wrapped up I plan to rest for a bit and do some world building.

I should have an update for everyone Wednesday, I just want to test as much as i can before releasing into the yonder.

Jaxilon
April 16th, 2020, 05:37
Updated version 1.0.0.9 now allows you to handle Abilities & Traits in addition to Items.

There are a few refinements I think would be helpful when manually entering things. Like changing some of the cells into drop down lists and so forth but I said I would put out an update today and I have about 35 minutes before that deadline hits in my part of the world.

I enabled Localization but have no idea if that is sufficient to allow for the Cyrillic alphabets. I'll need someone to test that for me since I'm leery of changing my entire system to Russian.

You can import from GCS and most of the things I've tested work. There are a few that do not, like some of the tactical data. I never did get around to digging at that but if it becomes important to someone drop a mention so I know it's worth my time.

I don't really use magic in my games but I tried exporting a bunch of spells from GCA and some of them have many, many subtypes. That proves to be messy when you click on "Spells" as it tends to break everything up too much. I did find however if you export by selecting the drop down menu in GCA to choose a specific area say, "Fire" it looks like it works much better.

I know there are a variety of ways to use GURPS and I don't use them all so if there is an area you need that is woefully lacking let me know and I'll do what I can to get it sorted.

In the days to come I'll be checking for feedback to see if anything needs attention.

In the meantime I'll be using it myself and making notes.

I probably should do some tutorials on how to do Traits (Advantages, Disadvantages, Perks, Quirks) and Abilities (Skills, Spells, Powers, Others) since none of that existed when I made the ones for Items.

Happy playing!

HalC
April 16th, 2020, 07:44
Thank you Jaxilon.

:)

seycyrus
April 16th, 2020, 12:13
Thank you for all your work!

A new tutorial would be very helpful.

TaggerFox
April 16th, 2020, 18:01
Thank you for all your work!

A new tutorial would be very helpful.

It's essentially the same program with added functions to import traits and skills so you can follow his original video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dZc5PdJJHU&t=305s

Something to keep in mind is it will send traits and skill into the "rejected" category unless you have at least 1 piece of equipment. So I'm currently using to program by creating and naming characters in GCA with the categories I intend to use to make sorting in game easier. E.g. "Advantages" then I give that character all the advantages I want available in my campaign, export as xml, import into FG GURPS Mod Maker, set my name and image, export module, move said module into Fantasy Grounds, and then I have all the advantages I want in game available for drag and drop by myself and my players. Just remember to have at least on piece of equipment on your character in GCA for the import to work properly.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 16th, 2020, 18:57
I made some files in the GCA with the varied items and for tests I made the skills, I am separating by type and added the vehicles type, exported as XML, I import normally in the program, but when I try to export the message Generic Error GDI + appears
I am using Windows 10 Pro fully updated.

Jaxilon
April 17th, 2020, 00:28
I haven't seen either of those issues. I'll see if I can recreate them when I have time later tonight. I'm also on Windows 10 pro and updated.

@Tagger_Fox Can you send me a file that causes this issue?
@yakko: Can you share your .xml file from GCA?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 17th, 2020, 00:47
Here is the file GCA4 e XML

Jaxilon
April 17th, 2020, 03:05
Here is the file GCA4 e XML

Is it me or are we missing a file?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 17th, 2020, 04:34
It was my fault when attaching the file, I hope it will now.

Jaxilon
April 17th, 2020, 05:03
deleted duplicate

Jaxilon
April 17th, 2020, 05:04
It was my fault when attaching the file, I hope it will now.

Actually, i found out what it is...this is because your "thumbnail" image file is actually named "thumbail" and it is in the same directory your outputting to = 'directory to save to'.
I'll do something about that but if you want a work around, put the image you want to use as thumbnail in another location. Also, for the record, once you have created the thumbnail image the first time, it will keep being used automatically so you don't technically have to reload it in the app.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 17th, 2020, 05:11
That's right, I renamed the file and put it in another location and then it was!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 17th, 2020, 05:19
But I still need to figure out how to add the skills, or am I getting ahead of myself and that's not yet possible?

Jaxilon
April 17th, 2020, 06:01
No, you should be able to do that now from either GCS or an xml exported from GCA.

I think you use GCA so just open up a new char, load up as many skills as you want then export it as xml file (using the xml checkbox in the bottom left corner of the export popup). Then import into Mod Maker the xml file of skills. That should do it.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 17th, 2020, 06:28
In one of my files there is one with the vehicle skills, I exported it as XML I created the module I put in the folder it appears, but skills that is good at all, am I doing something wrong?

Jaxilon
April 17th, 2020, 13:37
In one of my files there is one with the vehicle skills, I exported it as XML I created the module I put in the folder it appears, but skills that is good at all, am I doing something wrong?

Sorry I had gone to sleep but I'm not sure I understand what happened.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 17th, 2020, 17:25
These are the steps I take to convert from GCA to Fantasy Grounds.
1 - I open the GCA, choose the Skills (Usually filter by groups).
2 - I add the group's skills to the worksheet.
3 - Save the file with GCA4 (so you don't have to do it again if the application freezes)
4 - Export in XML format
5 - I open the mod maker program
6 - Import the file in XML format
7 - I add name, thumbnail, author.
8 - Deselect Static Output
9 - Export the generated file
10 - Copy the file and paste it in the module folder.

But when I open the module with the advantages, disadvantages, skills, nothing appears where it should appear.
And when checking the file the module has the files but everything is blank inside them.

Jaxilon
April 17th, 2020, 23:26
These are the steps I take to convert from GCA to Fantasy Grounds.
1 - I open the GCA, choose the Skills (Usually filter by groups).
2 - I add the group's skills to the worksheet.
3 - Save the file with GCA4 (so you don't have to do it again if the application freezes)
4 - Export in XML format
5 - I open the mod maker program
6 - Import the file in XML format
7 - I add name, thumbnail, author.
8 - Deselect Static Output
9 - Export the generated file
10 - Copy the file and paste it in the module folder.

But when I open the module with the advantages, disadvantages, skills, nothing appears where it should appear.
And when checking the file the module has the files but everything is blank inside them.

I followed your steps but did not have the same results. Could you by chance share the xml output you have from GCA4? That way maybe I can pull it in and see what the issue is.

You will also be happy to know the next version will take care of the GDI+ error you were getting but I want to wait a little to see if any other issues come up.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 18th, 2020, 19:44
Jaxilon I'll send a zip file with all GCA4 and XML that I had created

Jaxilon
April 19th, 2020, 02:06
@Yako - you helped me find a bug where earmuffs were trying to pass as weapons. That's kinda funny when you think about it. Makes me think of something out of the Bourne Identity.
The other issues had more to do with special characters in the file names, so I did some polishing that. Attached are your files in what seem to be working order. Enjoy!

Also, I made some other updates again - I know I'm like a dog with a bone. :)

Updates for version 1.0.2.0 are:

1. files held in memory and built directly into the .mod = only writes 1 file instead of 3 so less clutter on your drive.
2. Corrected format of Weight field so it shows up in FG. Had to loose "lbs" because FG just wouldn't show anything at all.
3. Can now import GCS Tactical Shooting and others that use techniques skills to create more skills.
4. Cleaned up special characters when used in file names.
5. Code cleanup

jfletc12
April 20th, 2020, 05:45
Hi Jaxilon,

Came across a popup window when trying to export exotic advantage list, I am not sure on what is means? It states "object reference not set to an instance of an object" It saves a file to the modules folder, but I can access the file in Fantasy Grounds.

Kind Regards

Jaxilon
April 20th, 2020, 15:17
Can you provide the file you are importing or the manual file you have created so I can attempt the export? This way I can find and remedy the issue more easily.

But first, have you loaded an image to include in the grey box? I just was testing and the change I made to create the zip file from memory streams looks to have introduced that. I'll fix it to insert a default in a future update but for now make sure that's not your issue.

edit: In case that IS the issue I have pushed out v 1.0.2.1 (you might have to uninstall the previous version but it will tell you that). This version provides a better error message if there are problems packing up the .mod file. To get v 1.0.1.2 just re-download using the link at the top of the thread.

jfletc12
April 21st, 2020, 14:09
Hi Jaxilon
here is a link to one of the files https://schoolsnsw-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/joshua_fletcher8_det_nsw_edu_au/EdIeHX8pOFFCoirAKdvgXh8B2L8p0i0getb9QRTSK2Dnfw?e=V CgeuA

Jaxilon
April 21st, 2020, 16:21
Hi Jaxilon
here is a link to one of the files https://schoolsnsw-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/joshua_fletcher8_det_nsw_edu_au/EdIeHX8pOFFCoirAKdvgXh8B2L8p0i0getb9QRTSK2Dnfw?e=V CgeuA

I seem to be able to load this .mod file just fine in FGU or was that even an issue?
Do you still get the same message when creating/exporting this using v 1.0.2.1 or did the update fix it for you?

Thanks

jfletc12
April 22nd, 2020, 12:53
HI Jaxilon,

Thanks for your reply, yeah, I can't seem to see in the data module activation section, I have re-started the program. Recreated the file a couple of times. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers

Jaxilon
April 22nd, 2020, 22:06
HI Jaxilon,

Thanks for your reply, yeah, I can't seem to see in the data module activation section, I have re-started the program. Recreated the file a couple of times. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers

Ok, I'm finding it works in FGU but not in FGC so I'll go figure out when that happened.

edit: I found it. I recently changed the Encoding to Unicode which works fine with FGU. Unfortunately it does not with FGC. I've reverted to using UTF-8 and that works on both FGU & FGC. I'll post it in a moment.

edit2: version 1.0.3.1 if you download and install will use the utf-8 encoding that works for FGC. You will need to re export your .mod file but that should work.

On a side point, where I live I can't really use FGC to host anything because the ISP here seems to be using CG Nat and I haven't been able to get past that as well as the double NAT I have at home due to my using my own router. FGU doesn't need to worry with that and I can host so that's been my playground for most of this. Sorry about the inconvenience for those of you using FGC. If I make more encoding changes anytime soon I'll be sure to verify it still works w/FGC.

yeknom
May 9th, 2020, 12:51
Will spells be added to this? I've looked at FG to GCS Skill and Spell Import Script by Xeonen but I can't get it to work right. I'm sure it's an error on my part as I'm new to this kind of stuff and I don't have a background with it. I am able to get GURPS Mod Maker to work so I was wondering if spells would be added to it.

Jaxilon
May 11th, 2020, 02:48
Will spells be added to this? I've looked at FG to GCS Skill and Spell Import Script by Xeonen but I can't get it to work right. I'm sure it's an error on my part as I'm new to this kind of stuff and I don't have a background with it. I am able to get GURPS Mod Maker to work so I was wondering if spells would be added to it.

Sorry, not sure why I'm not getting alerts on this thread but you should already be able to do them.

They show up under Abilities. For example, here is a file of one for a Book of Fire attached.

yeknom
May 11th, 2020, 03:17
Oh thanks! I will see what the error on my end is and sort it out then. Much appreciated.

Jaxilon
May 17th, 2020, 18:03
I've seen some comments about Spells/Powers/etc not having damage and while this is basically true you can drag them to your Abilities and open the "Triangle Icon" to get most of the details you need. Because most of these have damage that changes based on effort put into them (read energy or whatever) you would need to calculate that for each use.

Giegerman mentioned setting them up as weapons (melee/ranged) and then you could create modifiers to indicate how much effort you used and just use that attack damage. I think this is how I would do it.

If there is some way to make this better let me know and if possible I'll see what I can do.

yeknom
May 17th, 2020, 23:12
I greatly appreciate your efforts on this and I am content with the way things are. If possible I'd prefer to be able to directly add damage to a spell instead of creating it as a melee or ranged attack. If not, no worries though.

yeknom
May 18th, 2020, 01:53
Also, and this may just be wishful thinking, is there a way to create a template as a set of skills and abilities that are just drug onto a character and dropped there all at once? I know there are some templates with things like, "choose this skill OR this skill," but maybe those could be in a pop-up screen that allowed the player to choose the one or they could both be added. I am not asking for the templates themselves to be made available only for there to be a way to create a template that is drag n drop. If not, no worries, it was just something I was wondering about.

Jaxilon
May 18th, 2020, 03:02
Also, and this may just be wishful thinking, is there a way to create a template as a set of skills and abilities that are just drug onto a character and dropped there all at once? I know there are some templates with things like, "choose this skill OR this skill," but maybe those could be in a pop-up screen that allowed the player to choose the one or they could both be added. I am not asking for the templates themselves to be made available only for there to be a way to create a template that is drag n drop. If not, no worries, it was just something I was wondering about.

As for the damage being on the ability, that may be doable but it would need to be added into the ruleset. Also, how would you plan to select what level of energy to put into it? That would be a variable every time. Sure, you might usually use 2 ep or whatever but there could be times when you would want to use 6.
I guess it seems like an easy fit if we just reused the "Modes" & "modifiers" already built into the melee and ranged weapons. This way you could have say "Lightning" with Modes of 1 ep, 2 ep, 3 ep complete with damages that match. Otherwise, you have to have Lighting in the abilities tab multiple times as something like "Lightning 1 ep", "Lighting 2 ep", etc. I guess it doesn't matter a lot either way.

For now though, there is no such connection and you'd have to just calculate it same as you would if you were sitting around the table. It's not horrible but I get it.

As to the dragging template sets of skills I think that would require quite a bit of extra code to the ruleset. Maybe it's a thought for an Extension? I don't think I would ever need it though. You can already create characters in GCA or GCS to export and import into FG so it seems like a lot of work for a pretty small payout.

Not saying it won't and/or can't be done. I'm just thinking it might have to fall into someone's passion project.

On the other hand, you could easily create a character in GCA with the name of "Urban Thief" for example, export that to XML (as you would for any other Mod Maker stuff) then import it into the Mod Maker to create a book called "Urban Thief". Then open that in FG and allow the player to just drag each item to the character sheet. It's not currently automated to apply them all at once but it would probably only take a minute of dragging and dropping.

I might have to play around with that last idea. I haven't tried using it that way but I think it would work.

yeknom
May 18th, 2020, 03:13
Much appreciated and I like the idea of creating a GCA character to serve as a template to drag from. I'll give it a go when I have the chance.

Theros
May 20th, 2020, 11:47
I like idea of this. One thing to ask...Are you planning to add Advantages, skills and disadvantages to this?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 20th, 2020, 12:12
I did the following, I created a "magic" attack
In the mode I put the type of attack example: lightning ~ 1 to represent that it is spending 1 point of energy, so in the ctd I put 1, however in the shots I put how much I am using energy, and in the ammunition I put the value of my gem , when she will start to consume my fatigue, but then it starts to be done manually.

Jaxilon
May 20th, 2020, 17:41
I like idea of this. One thing to ask...Are you planning to add Advantages, skills and disadvantages to this?

They are in there. They show up in FG under Abilities and Traits. Provided of course, you have created the .mod for them.

duncansouth
July 11th, 2020, 09:29
First of all, I've recently acquired and loved this application after getting into GURPS during quarantine. Thanks for all your work!

Second, I just learned that as of yesterday, GCS has updated to v. 4.2, and its library format has been changed to JSON format with its own upgrade to v 2. This breaks compatibility with the mod maker, and I'm unsure as to what changes are required to fix it again. Fortunately, I have some core modules already created for my upcoming game, but that'll teach me to read the patch notes before upgrading.

Jaxilon
July 19th, 2020, 00:19
Sorry, i've been preoccupied and am only reading this now. I am wondering how I'm missing it in my email notifications but that's another story.

I'll see if I can take a look at it. Thanks for the heads up.

Jaxilon
July 20th, 2020, 17:08
btw, in the mean time you can still use the xml files. Just make a copy of them before you upgrade.

deathbane2626
July 24th, 2020, 19:53
Okay first of all thank you for this great program and using your free time to help the community.

I play a lot of fantasy in GURPS and so far everything except for spells is converting fine. I'm using GCS and any time I try to load one of the spell files into your program nothing happens. I'm not getting a error it just opens but the list stays empty.
I'm using the latest version of your program and the latest ruleset with FGU. Also I'm using the GCS Master Library 1.3.0. I'll attach the main file I want to convert although any of the spell files won't load for me.

Thank you for your time.

Jaxilon
July 28th, 2020, 05:36
Okay first of all thank you for this great program and using your free time to help the community.

I play a lot of fantasy in GURPS and so far everything except for spells is converting fine. I'm using GCS and any time I try to load one of the spell files into your program nothing happens. I'm not getting a error it just opens but the list stays empty.
I'm using the latest version of your program and the latest ruleset with FGU. Also I'm using the GCS Master Library 1.3.0. I'll attach the main file I want to convert although any of the spell files won't load for me.

Thank you for your time.

I just read this but I'll try to take and get back to you as soon as I can. I'm a bit busy right now but maybe by this weekend at the latest. I'm pretty sure this should be working.

Jaxilon
July 28th, 2020, 05:58
Ok, well, I just used your file and it worked alright on mine, however I had been doing some tweaking with the idea of ingesting the newer json files so I can't promise it's not a bug.

However, here is the .mod file with your stuff.

deathbane2626
July 28th, 2020, 17:43
Thank you very much for taking the time to convert the file for me.
Take care.

Gigermann
August 24th, 2020, 03:45
I tried to import a bunch of items, and it's working for the basics. But if I set the subtypes on things before I Export from the tool, it does not push those subtypes to the mod. First I set the subtypes on the (FREX) weapons tab, and discovered that didn't work. The I set them on the raw tab and Converted, which did port the subtypes over to the weapons tab, but still didn't export them. Am I missing something? I'm afraid I'm going to have to do it by hand in the XML.

Jaxilon
August 26th, 2020, 00:18
I tried to import a bunch of items, and it's working for the basics. But if I set the subtypes on things before I Export from the tool, it does not push those subtypes to the mod. First I set the subtypes on the (FREX) weapons tab, and discovered that didn't work. The I set them on the raw tab and Converted, which did port the subtypes over to the weapons tab, but still didn't export them. Am I missing something? I'm afraid I'm going to have to do it by hand in the XML.

Can you send me a copy of a file you are trying to import so I can take a look?

Gigermann
August 26th, 2020, 04:28
Can you send me a copy of a file you are trying to import so I can take a look?Attached. Pretty sure everything imports fine, I'm just having trouble with assigning the subtypes

neck
September 8th, 2020, 15:03
Any plans to update this to be compatible with GCS' new .json file format?

Jaxilon
September 10th, 2020, 23:56
Any plans to update this to be compatible with GCS' new .json file format?

Yes to plans but time is more at issue right now.

theshakey01
October 24th, 2020, 23:27
GCS import with the .eqp file is throwing an error for me. Where am I making a mistake?

neck
October 24th, 2020, 23:32
GCS import with the .eqp file is throwing an error for me. Where am I making a mistake?

Are you using a new (v2.0+) version of the GCS library? If so, your library is in JSON format, which the program doesn't recognize. Your best bet for now is to download an old, XML version of the library, and use that.

Fezzik Buttercup
October 25th, 2020, 04:38
Hi,
I'm not sure why I can't convert the file that I have; it gives me all the raw data, but none of the perks or advantages are converting; when I click convert or import the file I get the error.

Thanks!
Fezzik

theshakey01
October 25th, 2020, 21:20
Okay I was able to get this working with GCA, but if I create a custom weapon with a 1d+3 burn damage as a short sword it does not carry over the damage and it defaults to the sw-1. Is this a known issue or am I making a mistake with how I am manually creating the weapon? Thanks again

Fezzik Buttercup
October 26th, 2020, 01:12
Deleted some empty ones (I think the cultural familiarty and language advantages as they are in GCA don't work right); and commented a line about "one skill" in the xml and it seems to convert now.

Jaxilon
November 2nd, 2020, 23:53
Hi,
I'm not sure why I can't convert the file that I have; it gives me all the raw data, but none of the perks or advantages are converting; when I click convert or import the file I get the error.

Thanks!
Fezzik

Sorry it took me a bit of time to get back to you all.

If you can message me the file you are trying to use it should help me to find the issue more quickly. Thanks!

Off the top of my head, on that first screenshot you shared, I'm almost certain you have to have names in there otherwise there will be issues.

Jaxilon
November 2nd, 2020, 23:58
Okay I was able to get this working with GCA, but if I create a custom weapon with a 1d+3 burn damage as a short sword it does not carry over the damage and it defaults to the sw-1. Is this a known issue or am I making a mistake with how I am manually creating the weapon? Thanks again

Was this a weapon you created inside GCA? TBH I haven't done a lot of testing with home grown items. I have a few from my own campaign that seem to work but most likely it is either missing the right link inside GCA or my program doesn't handle it. If you can send me a copy of the weapon for GCA I can play around with it myself and see what I find.

I have been kind of busy with other stuff lately but I do have bells going off in the back of my head about getting back to some updates on this. Especially accepting json files.

Fezzik Buttercup
November 3rd, 2020, 02:46
Sorry it took me a bit of time to get back to you all.

If you can message me the file you are trying to use it should help me to find the issue more quickly. Thanks!

Off the top of my head, on that first screenshot you shared, I'm almost certain you have to have names in there otherwise there will be issues.

The skill that had the issue was Guns (something or other) it had normal things behind it in brackets, then a 1 outside the brackets... I think the 1 was screwing things up. Once I deleted that and redid the gca for import it worked fine. It was a few days ago,so I'm not sure what the skill was exactly but it was the very last G out of all the G skills in the entire library.

Papa Bear
December 21st, 2020, 07:06
I can't get this to work in GCS at all. I've exported it to all the different XML options and nothing happens. Is there some sort of trick to this? I don't know a thing about software, I just know it can save it as the GCS file and export to 4 different types of Fantasy Ground XML, PDF, HTML.

I'd use GCA but it really isn't supported by SJG and I hate running around trying to find the proper Data Sets for it instead of getting it from the company that sold it.

I'm reading something about a JML? So I guess I will wait for the software to be updated.

*EDIT*

So reinstalled GCA exported to XML that worked the Mod Maker imported them, then exported it, I loaded the module into the Fantasy Grounds. I give it to a character, equip it, and it adds the weight but it doesn't show up in the combat section at all. What am I doing wrong?

neck
December 21st, 2020, 10:00
I can't get this to work in GCS at all. I've exported it to all the different XML options and nothing happens. Is there some sort of trick to this? I don't know a thing about software, I just know it can save it as the GCS file and export to 4 different types of Fantasy Ground XML, PDF, HTML.

I'd use GCA but it really isn't supported by SJG and I hate running around trying to find the proper Data Sets for it instead of getting it from the company that sold it.

I'm reading something about a JML? So I guess I will wait for the software to be updated.

*EDIT*

So reinstalled GCA exported to XML that worked the Mod Maker imported them, then exported it, I loaded the module into the Fantasy Grounds. I give it to a character, equip it, and it adds the weight but it doesn't show up in the combat section at all. What am I doing wrong?

The software is not compatible with any version of the GCS library after 2.0, since GCS changed its data format from XML to JSON with 2.0. To import data from GCS, download the library version 1.3.0, unzip it, and have the program use that. All releases can be found here : https://github.com/richardwilkes/gcs_master_library/releases?after=v2.0.1

As for your weapon not showing up, make sure that you press the icon on the right of the character entry, so it shows as "equipped" (armor icon) and not just "carried" (bag icon).

Fezzik Buttercup
December 21st, 2020, 18:20
[QUOTE=neck;566223
As for your weapon not showing up, make sure that you press the icon on the right of the character entry, so it shows as "equipped" (armor icon) and not just "carried" (bag icon).[/QUOTE]

Be aware that it won't add the skill (yet) to the combat tab version, just the item. It does calculate the damage though :)

Jaxilon
December 21st, 2020, 18:35
Be aware that it won't add the skill (yet) to the combat tab version, just the item. It does calculate the damage though :)

And if that doesn't work, please share a copy of your .mod file and I'll take a look.

On a side note there was mentioned GCA as not being supported by SJG however as far as I know it is the only one they sell. GCS seems to have their go ahead but I don't think SJG get anything out of it so quite frankly I think SJG is being quite decent in allowing us to have all these great tools.

DarbyMcD
June 6th, 2021, 05:14
Hello there,

I just found this utility and it is potentially really great. But I am getting an error trying to convert from GCA to the mod file. It imports fine, no rejections, but when I try to export it throws
ystem.MissingFieldException: Field not found: 'FantasyGroundsLib.FG_Classes.Zipperitto.AllIsWell '.
at FantGrounds.ModMakerForm.ExportToMod(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 m

and honestly that is way out of my depth. What is the AllIsWell field that it isn't finding? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jaxilon
June 10th, 2021, 04:02
I'll have to check my notifications because I just happened to check in and saw this. I hate that it's been a few days since you posted but better late than never I guess.

I just ran it myself and I don't get this error can you help me duplicate it? What were you importing? If you have a copy of the GCA file you are importing and don't mind sharing it with me I can dig into it.

Tbh, I've been meaning to get back to this anyway since the GCS stuff changed.

edit: to answer the question the AllIsWell is a boolean so I have a feeling the error message may be misleading in this case.

seycyrus
June 13th, 2021, 14:44
So, returning back to this after a long time, I have a quality of life question.

I'm trying to pull in all the low tech armors using GCA -> modmaker -> FGU.

At the end of the process, I end up with (in FGU),

"Cloth, Padded (Abdomen) Abdomen"
"Cloth, Padded (Chest) Chest"

Is there a way to easily remove the redundancy, so that it just says "Cloth, Padded (Abdomen)" or "Cloth, Padded Abdomen" ?

When I go into modmaker, I see there are two fields that have the same information, name and nameext. I don't see an easy way to delete one column of entries as a group as I might do in Excel. Right now I have to do it manually for each entry, which is fine, but I thought I would ask before I proceeded since there are about 400 entries.

I guess i might as well ask whether it is ok to do this? Will it cause some problem down the line? I could just suck it up and deal with it.

But, if it is ok to edit the entires, is it preferable to shorten "Jack of Plates (Forearms)" to "Jack of Plates" in the name field and keep the nameext field untouched?

Or is it ok to delete all the entries in the nameext fields?

Thank you.

Jaxilon
June 16th, 2021, 06:35
Well, you can certainly mess with stuff in Mod Maker. You can always just reimport if it doesn't come out as expected. Another option is to open the zip file, go to the xml file and find/replace if that might be easier.
I'll mess with it myself and see if anything slick might be done about it.

edit: dug a little more into this and I believe the reason is that not all data files are equal. In other words, if I leave the nameext off then we could be missing useful information. However, I think I can make a comparison and eliminate one or the other when they are the same.
I was thinking at first I'd prefer to see this bit of information in the ellipsis but please give me your input. I'll probably look to make a few more updates before uploading anything but lets see how it goes.

edit2: Seems to work: Cloth, Padded (Abdomen), Cloth, Padded (Arms), and so on.

seycyrus
June 18th, 2021, 02:23

That looks like what I wanted, thanks! What other updates are in the works?

And btw, have you heard that GCA5 will be a real thing soonish?

Jaxilon
June 18th, 2021, 08:21
That looks like what I wanted, thanks! What other updates are in the works?

And btw, have you heard that GCA5 will be a real thing soonish?

Well, I was looking at updating the GCS import section but in my initial quick examination it seems the data is not readily available.
I did see data files seem to be available on the project's git hub but needing to go there and download ahead of time seems like too much. Maybe I missed something.

I had heard about GCA5 like a year ago but I haven't been keeping up with it so I don't know the status.

I may just go ahead and roll out the small update I did for your 'quality of life' so you don't have to wait. Probably this weekend.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 18th, 2021, 11:51
Currently GCA 5 is in open beta version and the version it has is 5.0.0.147

seycyrus
August 6th, 2021, 02:29
... I'll probably look to make a few more updates before uploading anything but lets see how it goes.

Hey Jaxilon, did you ever upload a new version that eliminates stuff like "Cloth, Padded (Arms) Arms"?

Jaxilon
August 8th, 2021, 00:30
Hey Jaxilon, did you ever upload a new version that eliminates stuff like "Cloth, Padded (Arms) Arms"?

I have made a change to fix that but I have not yet uploaded an executable yet because I was having some issues with that. If I can, I'll try to get back to that this week.

Jaxilon
August 12th, 2021, 00:27
Sorry it took so long to get this to you. The fix wasn't that hard but my migrating to .NET 5.0 caused me some issues with the installer.

The new version is available from the link on the first post so let me know if you run into any problems with that.

I am aware that I have given no love to importing the newer json output from GCS but the xml files still work from there and one day I may get to it. Except, now we have GCA5 coming along so that my take priority.

Happy gaming!

seycyrus
August 12th, 2021, 00:59
Sorry it took so long to get this to you. The fix wasn't that hard but my migrating to .NET 5.0 caused me some issues with the installer.

The new version is available from the link on the first post so let me know if you run into any problems with that. ...

Happy gaming!

You are a gentleman and a scholar!

seycyrus
August 13th, 2021, 05:31
Jaxilon, thank you again.

Certain imported head items seems to weigh too much by a factor of 10. For example, mail coif weighs 36 pounds instead of 3.6.

Jaxilon
August 14th, 2021, 03:07
Jaxilon, thank you again.

Certain imported head items seems to weigh too much by a factor of 10. For example, mail coif weighs 36 pounds instead of 3.6.

Whoa, that's crazy. I'll take a look.
Do you know if it was doing that before?

EDIT: Nevermind, it totally was doing that but nobody seemed to notice, or if they did I didn't hear about it until now.

Anyway, I fixed it and uploaded the updated version. Be aware that for some reason I had code that stepped through the weight and only kept the digits (should have kept the decimal points as well) but for the life of me I can't recall why I did it. I'm sure it was something to do with cleaning up a data file so there is a chance something somewhere might give us an oddball weight.
At least now, we can have some armored fighters who can move around the field instead of just standing there in one place. LOL

seycyrus
August 14th, 2021, 08:37
Whoa, that's crazy. I'll take a look.
Do you know if it was doing that before?

Thanks!

Here's another one (or two - who's counting?).

Gauntlets and boots come up as equipment instead of armor.

Jaxilon
August 14th, 2021, 20:43
Thanks!

Here's another one (or two - who's counting?).

Gauntlets and boots come up as equipment instead of armor.

I'm surprised I haven't heard about these slipping through the cracks already.

By the way, thanks a bunch for finding these. Now could you find everything all at once and give me a list? LOL, I'm joking. ;)

I would have probably found these myself but I haven't been able to play very much. I am starting to get back to it so that's a good thing.

It helps if you mention which data files the errors are found with. In this case, I knew by the name of the item it was probably "Low-Tech" so I was able to find it. There could be times where the name is not familiar to me so knowing where to look helps.

Let me know if you find anything else and happy gaming. I'll go post an update now.

seycyrus
August 14th, 2021, 22:23
I'm surprised I haven't heard about these slipping through the cracks already.

By the way, thanks a bunch for finding these. ...

2020 was a busy year for updates. You should try doing an update in 2021!

Jaxilon
August 14th, 2021, 22:39
2020 was a busy year for updates. You should try doing an update in 2021!

ROFL - Yeah, maybe lay off the cut and paste. I'll go fix that. I've been in a rush every time I've posted one of these but who reads comments anyway? Isn't reading a dead language? Hehe.

ChrisRevocateur
October 6th, 2021, 19:41
Not if it's 280 characters or less. Apparently people can still read it if it's short.

Feroand
October 8th, 2021, 09:57
Hello there and thanks for your endeavors.

Are there any plans to make this tool usable in Linux too? I am trying to setup it via Wine, but... It didn't go well due to my being novice in Linux. It seems like MSI files needs some special approach with it.
Thanks again and have a nice day.

ChrisRevocateur
October 8th, 2021, 14:38
Hello there and thanks for your endeavors.

Are there any plans to make this tool usable in Linux too? I am trying to setup it via Wine, but... It didn't go well due to my being novice in Linux. It seems like MSI files needs some special approach with it.
Thanks again and have a nice day.

Do you have Steam? I'd suggest installing it using Steam's Proton, it's a more robust version of WINE that's supposed to be easier to set up.

Feroand
November 17th, 2021, 11:19
Do you have Steam? I'd suggest installing it using Steam's Proton, it's a more robust version of WINE that's supposed to be easier to set up.
Thanks for the answer. I do not know what I did but, it is opening -but not working- right now (after spending appromixmately 10 hours to copt-paste books to FGU :/ )

While trying to import data from GCS, this errors occured. And, I think, It's far beyond my skills.
Right after importing.
After that.
And again.

I guess those are not happen in Windows. Soo, I will ask for a help from my Windows user friends.

EDİT: Well... It made the same (first) error on Windows PC too. I simplify the data, I try to import only 1 equipment, but... Spells, etc. have similar error too.

Jaxilon
November 19th, 2021, 04:28
I know it doesn't work with the newer installation files for GCS as those are all json and originally they were xml. You can still use the old xml files if you have them.
One of these days I should update the app to use the new formats but I figure I'll have to revisit it once the new GCA comes out anyhow.

Are you using the old data files for GCS or are you trying to import stuff from a newer install?
If you can describe how you create it I can see if I can fix it or at least get you with a work around.

As for Lenux I'm not against it, but I haven't done anything with it except building a Raspberry Pi media player.
I wouldn't mind doing a redesign on the whole thing but it's not like I don't have enough passion projects in life. LOL

seycyrus
March 28th, 2022, 01:12
Jaxilon, Is there any chance for you to get your awesome stuff working with GCA5?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 28th, 2022, 01:53
Jaxilon We Will Love If The Software You created works with GCA 5.

Jaxilon
March 29th, 2022, 18:03
I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering where things stood with GCA5. I haven't played with it much myself yet but if there is still a need then I will carve out some time to revisit this whole project.

With so much going on I wasn't sure if people still wanted or needed it.

seycyrus
March 30th, 2022, 01:11
With so much going on I wasn't sure if people still wanted or needed it.

Definitely yes to both!

seycyrus
May 15th, 2022, 19:08
Hey Jaxilon, a new user asking questions triggered my memory about this thread. Were you ever able to go back and revisit it for GCA5?

Jaxilon
May 19th, 2022, 05:30
I started to look at it but I think with the changes I may need to redo pretty much everything.

I haven't forgotten but I haven't had much time for any of my passion projects. I recently received some extra responsibilities that have been taking up all of my free time. I THINK that may relax a bit next week but I'm going to have to wait and see.

Also, seeing as it looks like I need to redo most of this, I will look for ways to make it better going forward.

I do appreciate the nudge as it reminds me that someone other than myself wants to use it as well.

PS. the layout and data of what is exported from GCA is changed enough that I have to verify what I can still do.

Jaxilon
May 20th, 2022, 01:33
I spent some time on this today and made some progress.

Unfortunately, it is still going to require more time. There are some things that are being done differently and I'll have to untangle them before everything is going to work.

Please be patient.

seycyrus
May 21st, 2022, 00:53
Please be patient.

Patience is our middle name! Just letting you know that I am still interested!

gkorjax
May 21st, 2022, 01:42
I too am interested. Thanks for your persistence! Really appreciate your work.

Jaxilon
June 11th, 2022, 22:39
So, does anyone use an Atlatl? Has anyone noticed the way it works in GCA5 is different than it was in GCA4?

GCA4 (notice "Atlatl W:"):

GCA5 (notice no Atlatl shown):

Basically, an Atlatl is now Equipment rather than a weapon. Thus, once built into the .mod file and loaded within FGU it does not work the same.

Images explain this better.
GCA4 Atlatl equipped in inventory results in this on the Ranged weapon tab:

GCA5 Atlatl does not show up at all because once again, it is only considered equipment. However, if you have Atlatl Darts or Javelins, now it gets interesting.\

So a Javelin is different in GCA4 verses GCA5. In GCA5 the ammunition item (at least in this case) carries the information pertaining to the Atlatl "Mode". Atlatl Darts however, are the same in either version because they can only be used with an Atlatl which I guess goes without saying.

What this means is in GCA5 if you purchase an Atlatl it won't show up as a ranged weapon.
Also, it means that if you buy a Javelin, it would show the possible "Mode" of being used with an Atlatl, even if you don't own one!

In GCA4 you would only see the option of using a Javelin with an Atlatl IF and ONLY IF you owned and equipped an Atlatl.

While I'm sure most people are probably not using an Atlatl, I can't help but think there must be other items that could have a similar result.

Is this a bug with the Atlatl in GCA5 or is this how it should be?

I've been chewing on what to do about this but it'll take some extra effort to make this work like it did when we were using GCA4 and I'm not sure it's worth it. What do you guys think?

edit: Well, I wanted the images to show in the thread but they seem to open individually for me so hopefully ya'll can figure it out.

edit2: Stupid me, did an update and smoked my exporter. Rebuilding...better...faster..stro..

t3xx3r
July 31st, 2023, 16:28
@Jaxilon, I have this error now on your GURPS MM.

The attachment is a screenshot of what happened when I try to import a GCA5 .txt file export. I have no XML exporter available for GCA5 as no one would tell me where that is coming from. In your video in how to import from GCA5 tutorial, you have an option called "XML Exporter". That option alone does not show up on mine. It only shows the PC or NPC Export option

seycyrus
August 1st, 2023, 23:54
@Jaxilon, I have this error now on your GURPS MM.

The attachment is a screenshot of what happened when I try to import a GCA5 .txt file export. I have no XML exporter available for GCA5 as no one would tell me where that is coming from. In your video in how to import from GCA5 tutorial, you have an option called "XML Exporter". That option alone does not show up on mine. It only shows the PC or NPC Export option

Check your update options on GCA5. I think there is an export for FGU.

t3xx3r
August 2nd, 2023, 03:01
Yes, I checked. I updated the GCA 5 and added the FGU exporters. Both are for PC/NPC. I have gotten into touch with Armin, the developer for GCA 5, and he said that when he has time, he will work on the simple XML exporter Jaxilon used in his video. The simple XML exporter will export XML files and help make it readable for the GURPSMM. He said that the reason behind the problem of the XML file, currently as it stands with GCA 5, is that the XML exported now are complex. His GURPSMM cannot read the complex XML file now; only what was found in legacy GCA 4.

seycyrus
August 2nd, 2023, 23:34
Yes, I checked. I updated the GCA 5 and added the FGU exporters. Both are for PC/NPC. I have gotten into touch with Armin, the developer for GCA 5, and he said that when he has time, he will work on the simple XML exporter Jaxilon used in his video. ...

Thanks for your efforts, and sorry for not understanding your problem.

Jaxilon
August 3rd, 2023, 14:49
Last time I was using this I had to modify the exporter GCA5 used. Unfortunately, to do this I had to replace the existing one with my updated version and every time GCA5 updated it would replace my version. Maybe the optional update to use GCA4 xml covers this now. I haven't messed with it for a while.

edit: So what I mean is I took a look at the plugin WoodsmanX made and created an exporter that works with my ModMaker. However, GCA5 didn't seem to allow for other 3rd party plugins so I had to rename mine the same as WoodsmanX's which replaces it. Hence, why every time GCA5 updates it overlays my plugin with the original.

Scrap what I just said - I took another look at it and it seems I'm the Space Monkey. Once I named it correctly, GCA5 handles it just fine. I can probably share this with everyone but I'm not sure if I have to do anything with the copyright stuff. Because I'm just piggy backing on WoodsmanX's work mine still has his information in the copyright tags. So, now that I think about it I'm just confused. I'll go take a look at that part now under his project and see if there is anything I need to follow. Up till now, I was doing it for myself.

t3xx3r
August 4th, 2023, 01:28
Scrap what I just said - I took another look at it and it seems I'm the Space Monkey. Once I named it correctly, GCA5 handles it just fine. I can probably share this with everyone but I'm not sure if I have to do anything with the copyright stuff. Because I'm just piggy backing on WoodsmanX's work mine still has his information in the copyright tags. So, now that I think about it I'm just confused. I'll go take a look at that part now under his project and see if there is anything I need to follow. Up till now, I was doing it for myself.

Jaxilon,

I requested that from Armin Sykes, the developer behind GCA 5. I have tried out the GCA 5 with equipment and firearms. It works beautifully for GCA 4 Import. However, your program fails to populate items found in Advantages/Disadvantages or Skills so I don't know what exactly to do at this point. Hopefully you will be able to find a way to make it work to have everything populated correctly for GURPS 4E.