PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf news :(

Nylanfs
September 30th, 2019, 13:57
This sucks for the people getting laid of, including LJ and Owen that moved from Seattle to Evansville just a month or so ago so she could take a job with them.

https://www.wolflair.com/an-update-from-our-president/

Lone Wolf is undergoing several major changes and I wanted to personally take the time to update everyone on what those changes are and how they will impact our users.

While Lone Wolf is a business, the company itself is comprised of people. And when it’s a small company, it’s more akin to family. There’s also our user community (you), which in many ways is like our extended family. Over the more than 20 years we’ve been creating software tools for gamers, we’ve garnered a significant number of loyal fans – fans who have been crucial to our success and whose ongoing support is greatly appreciated.

This sense of family was core to how we operated in the past, but when I got deathly ill three years ago, I strayed away from that. Now that I’m mostly back to my old self and finally completing my rehabilitation, I’ve realized we need to get back to those roots. You should see that shift reflected here in the increased level of disclosure and in future communications from myself and staff.

For quite some time, we’ve spread ourselves too thin across different efforts, and that’s been especially true for me personally. We’ve been doing an insufficient job at multiple tasks instead of a great job on a much narrower set. This has clearly hurt us. By implementing the changes outlined below, I fully believe we can get back to producing our normal level of quality products in a timely manner.

To start with, effective immediately, we are officially suspending work on Realm Works while we focus on improving our other products. Realm Works is “my baby”, and there’s a great sadness in making this decision, but the reality is that, despite our efforts, Realm Works is failing as a commercial venture with what limited resources we can put into it. There are quite a few things we could do to improve it, but that would require a significant investment of time and resources, neither of which we currently have.

Various aspects of Realm Works may begin to emerge within the Hero Lab Online framework in the future, but the Realm Works desktop product will not see further development at this time. Realm Works will absolutely continue to be available, and the servers will continue running, so the product will remain incredibly useful in its current form. However, for the foreseeable future, no more coding changes will occur beyond the significant bug fixes that went out over the past couple weeks.

Another big change we’re making is with our staffing. For quite some time, we’ve been leveraging investment financing to allow us to carry extra staff and pursue some varied objectives while we transitioned from Pathfinder 1st edition to 2nd edition. – one of which is on the verge of readiness (more on that in a moment). Alas, we didn’t get those projects completed within the investment funding time window (due to spreading ourselves too thin), so corresponding adjustments are now a necessity. We’re therefore saying goodbye to some excellent people, and that just adds to today’s pain.

Everything thus far sounds somewhat dire. So the obvious question is whether there’s any good news to take the sting out of the bad. Thankfully, the answer to that is a resounding YES.

First off, Hero Lab Classic isn’t going anywhere and it just received a major upgrade in the form of native 64-bit support on both Windows and Mac. If you haven’t downloaded them yet, please do so, as you should see both performance and stability improvements. We also have several data packages ready and waiting for release. However, Apple has changed their rules and is now refusing to let us update our Hero Lab Classic iPad app, so the new packages have been held up while we determine how to appease Apple. We obviously want to release them on all platforms simultaneously, but we’ll need to come to an agreement with Apple before we can do so. We’ll provide an update as soon as we make some headway here.

For Hero Lab Online, Shadowrun 6th Edition hits store shelves in early October, and we’ve been working hard to launch support for it in the weeks ahead. We’re also preparing the big hardcover books for both Pathfinder 2nd Edition and Starfinder, not to mention some significant performance and reliability improvements. But the truly BIG thing we’ve been putting into place is something we’ve dubbed Campaign Theater™. We previewed it at GenCon in an early Alpha state and you may have seen the video promo on our social media. Since the preview, we’ve been fleshing things out and testing like crazy so we can debut it in time for the holidays.

So what exactly IS Campaign Theater? The goal is pretty simple. Bring all the power of Hero Lab, in a unified manner, to everyone in the campaign – GM and players alike. In HLClassic, we’ve long had the Encounter Builder to let GMs prepare scenes and the Tactical Console to let GMs run them. But everything within HLClassic is disconnected, and nobody can see what anyone else is doing during the game. While still quite helpful, there are major limitations with this approach. Now imagine a unified display of all participants in the current scene, with the GM seeing everything and players only seeing a suitable subset of information the GM allows. Any time a player makes a change to their PC, or the GM to a monster, everyone sees the update in real-time on their own device. And imagine having all your scenes prepped and ready to play out with a few clicks. That’s just the tip of Campaign Theater and what we’ll be starting with.

Some of you have mentioned this sounds a little bit like a virtual tabletop. Well, sort of, except that our focus is on all the detailed character/monster manipulation that VTTs don’t excel at and Hero Lab does. So there may be some similarities, but very little overlap. In fact, we’re developing these capabilities with the ultimate goal of integrating with VTTs, allowing those products to focus on all the tabletop visuals and Hero Lab to handle all the character mechanics in a coordinated manner. I like to think of it as the RPG equivalent of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.

We’ll have more to share regarding Campaign Theater in the near future, so stay tuned for that. As you can see, there’s still plenty to look forward to in the next few months, and even well beyond that.

In closing, allow me to say a big THANK YOU for your continued support over the years. It’s been extremely gratifying to create products that I love and to know that thousands of gamers are using them every week. Thank you for giving me – and the rest of the team here – that opportunity. It means more than we can express.

Sincerely,

Rob Bowes, President

mattekure
September 30th, 2019, 14:26
Wow, thats a bummer. I dont use Herolab anymore, but I did enjoy Realmworks for many years. Sad to see its development stopped.

Bidmaron
September 30th, 2019, 14:40
I am glad they are formalizing what has been the case with complete lack of RW progress over the last year and almost no progress (other than 64 bit which should have been there from the start) for 3 years.

Lexfire
September 30th, 2019, 15:09
An honest appraisal to sharpen focus and define a clear vision - a tough but necessary step in any viable business.

On multitasking - it’s been concluded

Multitasking sacrificed our power of full presence when we multitask, and we do so for a perceived benefit of improved productivity that simply doesn't exist.

Research indicates that multitaskers are actually less likely to be productive, yet they feel more emotionally satisfied with their work, thus creating an illusion of productivity.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 30th, 2019, 17:08
Ouch...as a RW backer, that stings. I'm certain that I've not got my money's worth on the product, and will move on to new methods of campaign management. I can't see them keeping the servers up indefinitely, and I can't see many people putting forth the money for a subscription for it, with it being a product on extended hiatus. I'm certainly sad for all the people that are going to be jobless because of the downsizing...some very good people at LWD.

My $0.02.

GBFF

Valyar
October 1st, 2019, 06:38
I have seen and written a lot of posts in the past days on this topic. RW being my main tool for anything related to the hobby (except character management) and this freeze is truly disappointing.

The good part is that the tool provides everything I need and more, therefore staying as is is OK. In the near future nobody will be able to produce something similar to that, all are jumping to the web-based subscription crap. It is even stated somewhere, that in case LWD goes out of business, the RW will be released and the server lock removed. We will see, I hope we never reach this moment.

Hope dies last.

twistedtechmike
October 1st, 2019, 19:02
I still use the heck out of Realm Works, although I havent opened HeroLab since I gave up Pathfinder a few years ago. I plan to continue to use it as is. The market content is never what sold me on the product.

Bidmaron
October 2nd, 2019, 00:00
Well, do what you will, but I recommend doing an export because it is probably only a matter of time before you hit one of the corruption bugs that have been plaguing folks for 4 years, and there won't be anyone there to fix your file.

Dark Lord Galen
November 20th, 2019, 02:02
Sad but accurate prediction.....

The Lonewolf decline has been precarious, painful, and predictable. The losses of certain key support employees, shortsighted "plans" versus grand "vision" by the singular power steering all has created cracks within the very foundation. All of this without elements to complete promises already made and / or the ability to support them.The same visionary, while proclaiming transparency yet not truly understanding what it means to be such, has relied ever increasingly on the very community that tried to support the vision by mocking them as not understanding the "complexities of software development and customer relationships".

Lastly choosing to have a growing dependency of the community but condescending those that would, through their generosity, help to support a software for its possibilities. And further not providing good documentation nor access to assist but only portions of the code are some, but not all of this has brought them to the brink.

As a newcomer to Fantasy grounds but a long time supporter of Lonewolf and Hearolab and Realmworks, FG would do well to learn from the mistakes of Lonewolf. From what I see sofar, FG has a good relationship with their community. I hope that continues.

Bidmaron
November 20th, 2019, 05:02
They made strategic error on the web version of Hero Lab, IMO. And they seemed to abandon their long-time clients with the tons of content. That is when I jumped off the Lone Wolf train. Had they just kept going with the non-web version of HeroLab and focused on properly finishing RW, they would have done fine. At least, I would have kept investing in their add-ons. When they finally released their content market, their Pathfinder materials were nothing more than PDFs but more ugly - almost no content linking like the program is designed to do! (You couldn't even look up an NPC)

Sad, and I hate to see it, but as you said, it was the result of bad decisions stacked one on another.

Nice to see you over here, Galen!

Dark Lord Galen
November 20th, 2019, 05:53
Nice to see you over here, Galen!
I agree with your assessment. And for clarity, never had an issue with the community, certainly a hard working dedicated group that I did learn a lot of HL code from. Like you, LW just made some poor decisions at the top of a small company that may (hopefully not) prove fatal.

I always personally felt the two fatal errors were not recognizing the "so called user poll" was inflated by players, when Realm Works REQUIRED support of the DMs. Without DMs utilizing the tool it didn't matter if player bought the "player's version" thank the gods it was only $6. The other error was not opening up the content market to creative community dwellers first to help work out the kinks BEFORE trying to convince Paizo, Kobold Press, Frog God, etc into a partnership sign on. I have had conversations with people on all sides. The IP security was never really resolved to the publishers satisfaction. LW could have generated some cash flow for posting independants' realms, modules, etc and also gained a bit for each download as well. Granted, it would not be the $ they could get from a Hazbro/WoC or Paizo relationship, but its a start and certainly beats nothing coming in except a fee for storage that came years later than planned and at the point now of little relevance unless you just want a sort of sudo cloud to back up your data on.

Thanks for the warm welcome! And its good to see a familiar face.

DLG

kane280484
November 20th, 2019, 07:12
The same visionary, while proclaiming transparency yet not truly understanding what it means to be such, has relied ever increasingly on the very community that tried to support the vision by mocking them as not understanding the "complexities of software development and customer relationships".Uh, that sentence explains my terrible experience with LWD "customer support", if you are bold enough to call it that way.

What type of campaign management software are you guys using anyway? My sandbox is getting huge.

Valyar
November 20th, 2019, 09:02
Even with those developments from LWD I continue to use Realm Works. Nothing can replace it so far.

Nylanfs
November 20th, 2019, 12:18
I can understand moving to a mobile setup. Every software project gets to the point that the overhead of keeping the old code working is hindering any advancement, and if the project wasn't designed to be able to replace parts of it easily then you are almost required to start over from scratch.

Valyar
November 20th, 2019, 12:53
I can understand moving to a mobile setup. Every software project gets to the point that the overhead of keeping the old code working is hindering any advancement, and if the project wasn't designed to be able to replace parts of it easily then you are almost required to start over from scratch.

I presume you are refering to Hero Labs classic?

Nylanfs
November 20th, 2019, 15:51
Yes

Dark Lord Galen
November 20th, 2019, 16:09
...............What type of campaign management software are you guys using anyway? My sandbox is getting huge.
I am in process of migrating all of mine from various locales to consolidate to Fantasy Grounds and World Anvil.
After my world reached the forty year mark this past June (June 1979-2019 so far) the amount of data accumulated is mountainous :D

In the days long before the internet, I collected huge quantities of spiral notebooks, and old player character sheets ( I don't toss anything). All adding to the back history of the state of the world as is currently is. Some of the more used data became files in DbaseIII but proved cumbersome. Some residing in Lotus made the commute to Excel. While still other peripheral things also evolved, such as notes to the DM going from scraps of paper to colored post-its, to word documents and mapping tools, but I would even begin to discuss the evolution of mapping.... heheh

So when reviewing a software tool now, I have to consider the ability to not only manage the size of the world's data, but a means to use it efficiently. Most single source software cannot do this out of the box since the current trend is module based (even here at FG). And my world is a huge sandbox so I look at the ability to customize to fit the need.

Sufficient to say I have tried most game management systems and those that I haven't, I have reviewed. Each had their collective pluses and minuses.

Having been witness and user for most of their software lives, I had hopes for Realm Works and Herolab being the apex and final selection to game management, but seems that has run its course (my RealmWorks folder is over 36GB and I have 17 licenses of herolab and written copious amounts of code to support our game particular elements). But with the risk of instability in LWD, I'm not going to continue to put more information into a program without a means to effectively and easily get it out and have it compatible with something else. I'm just getting tooo old to keep reworking things... hehhehe

Detailing the reasons might be better served as a separate thread since I am new to FG and have not learned the Forum edicate to thread expanding, yet.:)

So in short, for Game management I have started the migration to Fantasy Grounds to support tabletop mapping, Calendar Management, Character sheet Management and Note passing / Taking. And consolidating some of those into World Anvil for better access off table to my players, management of overall story plots and group / character reveal of information.

DLG

Dark Lord Galen
November 20th, 2019, 16:33

While this is certainly true, as a company in the 21st century one can also plan for this... the sad thing is the one person to have made this judgement was the one person that refused to see it.... all the way at the top. The vision has always been a good one, it's the implementation and closing the deal that LWD has continually struggled with.

And when that person got ill AND they lost their other primarily code writing, IT guru, Convention interfacing and "glue that held the company together" guy who conveyed the same thing you described.
Just as the community also tried, and we were told that "we didn't understand the complexities of running a software company"... wow really?? Humm what was I thinking... Just because I worked for a half dozen fortune five hundred companies managing contracts for project controls from 100 million to nearly a billion I guess I just can't fathom alot.. :confused: Glad I am now semiretired and work only special requests. "wink" Rant over lol
Let's say mistakes were made and those not responsible were punished for not being able to do anything about it.;)

Even with those developments from LWD I continue to use Realm Works. Nothing can replace it so far.
As do I.
BUT the risk is now also real that what you have there may be lost there... And what took LWD 10 years to create and develop and is still far from complete, is rapidly being replaced by World Anvil and they have only been at it 2 years in december. One of the few edges Realm Works has is creating auto links. Most everything else from the GUI to the 1990 way it looks is becoming antiquated.

just my two CP
DLG

Nylanfs
November 20th, 2019, 17:38
Having been witness and user for most of their software lives, I had hopes for Realm Works and Herolab being the apex and final selection to game management, but seems that has run its course (my RealmWorks folder is over 36GB and I have 17 licenses of herolab and written copious amounts of code to support our game particular elements). But with the risk of instability in LWD, I'm not going to continue to put more information into a program without a means to effectively and easily get it out and have it compatible with something else. I'm just getting tooo old to keep reworking things... hehhehe

My hats off to you then. Having attempted to look at their data and documentation it was an abysmal mess. We had better documentation at PCGen, and we are all Open Source.

Bidmaron
November 21st, 2019, 00:41
I am actually rolling my own using FileMaker Pro. Mainly a campaign wiki shareable with players but I will tie it to FG and just haven’t figured out how I want to do that yet.

Raistlindantilus
January 28th, 2020, 01:57
The loss of RW will truly be crushing. I can't overstate how sad I am at the direction LW has taken. Hero Lab Classic and RW were really two really great cornerstones of game management. I still today can't fathom why they weren't valued as such. Too bad no one cares what the end user's think it seems.

Raistlindantilus
January 28th, 2020, 02:00
I guess it wouldn't hurt to check out World Anvil....

First impressions: Thanks, I hate it.

Bidmaron
January 28th, 2020, 03:46
Welcome to the forums, Raistlindantilus. The loss of RW is very regrettable, but those of us in it from (near-I returned from sea in time to miss the kickstarter) beginning, you could see it coming 100 miles away. Please consider FG as a substitute. It is not a campaign manager per se, but it does pretty good.

Raistlindantilus
January 28th, 2020, 03:55
Welcome to the forums, Raistlindantilus. The loss of RW is very regrettable, but those of us in it from (near-I returned from sea in time to miss the kickstarter) beginning, you could see it coming 100 miles away. Please consider FG as a substitute. It is not a campaign manager per se, but it does pretty good.

I may have seen it coming if I wasn’t head down buried in it building the next 10 years of my GMing career.

I tried twice to check out FG and I keep hearing good things but can’t really see the appeal.

I’m just here as a placeholder in case FG evolves into something that aligns with my goals.

seycyrus
January 28th, 2020, 23:09
... in case FG evolves into something that aligns with my goals.

How will you verify any alignment if you don't work with it?