PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds Test

Blizzardwind
September 29th, 2019, 16:36
Hi I am going to run a test game of Mutants and Masterminds. I am looking for up to 4 people, i have 2 people already.This is to test both Fantasy Grounds and my understanding of how to run Mutants and Masterminds. If it works out and the players want to it may become a Campaign.At the extreme end I do not expect this to take more then 4 sessions to complete most likely 1 or 2, there will be a session 0 to make characters for those that need it, if not it will turn into the first session. As such characters can be maid ahead of time. A minimal background story is needed, just enough to get a idea of the character and what brings him to NY especially if he is not a native of New York, if needed how. As this is a test, it also serves as the origin of super powers in the world. As such there are no Mutants and no Aliens allowed for how they gain there powers. Character are going to start off at PL 6, when they first gained there powers it goes up to PL 8. If it becomes a campaign you go up to PL 10. If you take wealth put in your background how you came to have such wealth even if it is just as simple as having a job or career. House rule #1 you get an equivalent amount of Equipment Advantage = to your wealth rating. House rule #2 .Everyone gets a Cell phone even if you are a bum on the streets. if you want a basic Smart phone it is an extra ep point instead of 2ep points. Also everyone gets the equipment needed for there job with in reason, make a list and check with me for finale approval. The bum would only have the cell phone and not much else. These rules are for Npc's as well. These are the 2 house rules so far, and are copied from the Discord Server. We will be using Fantasy Grounds for the game, and Discord for the audio. I am placing this on both the Fantasy Grounds LFG message board and copied in Roll 20's message board, to have the best chance to gain the people needed for the game. For the game I am looking for 4 to 6 players no more then that. I have 2 people so far,so I need between 2 -4 people. The game will be on Thursdays at 8 pm. Experience with Fantasy grounds, Mutants and Masterminds and / or RPG's in general is not needed, but preferred. I have the Ultimate License so all you need is the Demo version of Fantasy Grounds

Post below if interested, replay with your name, Role playing experiences, if you have experience with Mutants and Masterminds, what Archetype of character if it is not one of the standard one, tell me if it a combination of 2 or more, or one of them as a basses for it, or even a original idea, if it is an original give a description of it to give an idea of what and how I will get him into the game. Add the characters name if you know it, if not just say as much. Formula to us is. You do not need to number and write out the filed name just one or the other is needed. Numbers 1-6 are needed 7 is optional. If accepted you will need to PM me you Discord name to be added to the server.

1. Name:
2. Character Name:

3. Role playing experiences:
4. experience with Mutants and Masterminds:

5. Name of Archetype: Name of Archetype Note next to it if it is an Original. by adding (Original Archetype).
6. Original Archetype idea Description: Only needed if you are creating an original Archetype that is not in the book.

7. Any additional information you want to add.

Background stories - Do not have background stories where the person is out of commission for no longer then a few days a week or 2 at the very most.

The game will be schedule once we have the players needed Thank you.

thehorrors
September 30th, 2019, 02:03
1. Name: Craig
2. Character Name: Panic (Angel Cardozo)

3. Role playing experiences: Mostly just C&C on fantasy grounds
4. experience with Mutants and Masterminds: none i do own the core rule book though

5. Archetype: Primal
6. Original idea Description: Angels' condition is the result of his mother Christelle being exposed to twisted ancient magics while she was pregnant with Angel. Christelle was abducted from Coco Mina, Nicaragua by an ancient cult of druids native to what is known as the Bosawas natural preserve. the poor girl was guilty of nothing more than being with child. she endured days bleeding into nights of neverending rituals which tore at the very fabric of her being. she finally realizing that the archaic witches wanting to sacrifice her unborn child's life for gifts from the well of chaos. But prayers were answered that night by design or accident it is not known.. gunfire erupts in close proximity to the coven. animalistic shadows cast from primordial caldrons light hiss in contempt as modern cordite and steel explode in the trees... (spoken in spanish) "Hello sweetheart, my name is Anne" an echo in Christelle's ears as her eyes fluttered back to the land of the living. a caring face smiling looking back at her. "i want to introduce you to your lovely baby boy" as Christelle looked to her miracle a stationary shadow caught her eye in the corner...

MrKinister
September 30th, 2019, 02:09
Sounds great. I would be interested in your test idea.

I am already quite familiar with M&M 3e, having run some sessions of my own on Roll20, and currently running one on PbP basis. However, I am quite new to Fantasy Grounds. I've had the client for a long time, but never found a group I wanted to play with. So this would be a learning experience for me as well.

The character I have in mind would be a teleporting scrapper with a teleportation (portal) tricks set of abilities. His name is James Monroe, and his callsign would be "Phase". He would have nothing past Wealth 1 on the money scale. Someone in his late twenties, with a casual career. PL 6 sound great for a "Hey, look at me, I can walk through walls" fresh off the powers-boat character. While a character like that may have some surprise at their newfound abilities, the character in general would not be naive. I like to run more experienced and wise characters. No young kids, neither mentally nor emotionally.

Anyways, let me know if the idea interests you, and we can talk some more.

Blizzardwind
September 30th, 2019, 21:01
Hi to thehorrors The Primal Archetype is both an Original idea and has to deal with shadow powers correct? To MrKinister Please reformat you post, so I can better ask any questions I may have. Both characters look interesting. once Mrkinister reformats his post and I ask any questions I may have, I will then put up the calendar and set the date of the game.

PS from now on people who have an original archetype idea pleaese put the word orignal in brackets like this (Original) with the archetypes name before or after that. Thank you

MrKinister
September 30th, 2019, 21:44
Hmmm... all the information is there. But... I re-read your post and you say there are no mutants.

So, what I will do is create a "science accident". Portals and teleportation do require a more stringent set of origins, and without "mutants", this would be harder to explain.

So, new idea:

1. Name: Michael Mathews
2. Character Name: Flashpoint

3. Role playing experiences: Since 1987, played all types of game, D&D, Hero Games, CoC, Gurps, etc.
4. experience with Mutants and Masterminds: I have played it several times, and currently run my own campaign in PbP format

5. Archetype: Energy Projector
6. Original idea Description: (Background) Michael Mathews was a young physicist at the local university, working on a graduate thesis on freezing temperatures and bio-chemistry. In a freak accident, a leak in the refrigeration units caused a short circuit, creating a localized fire that burst all the pipes containing the cooling agents. As it so happened, Michael was exposed to the several genetic samples in cryogenic hibernation while he himself was covered in coolant and instantly frozen. However, the combination of circumstances, electrical currents, and freezing temperatures, combined in his body to create a one-in-a-billion accident. His body didn't stop its metabolism and die but instead merged with the bio-samples prepared for the occasion, absorbing their unique abilities throughout his own body as the electricity carried a potentially lethal current through him. It was days before Michael could be brought out of the ice. The lab had to be disassembled and the cryogenic containment had to be brought to normal temperatures. He was believed to be dead. But when his body finally returned to room temperature, he woke up and got up from the table. Aside from a massive headache and the fact that his body was covered in a thick layer of permafrost, he seemed to have suffered no ill effects. Several hours later, he was able to release the layer of ice around him, returning to a modicum of "normalcy". After extensive interviews with police and even some DoD officers, he returned to his regular life, and even continued to work on his thesis at the University. However, he was now able to call back his "ice form" at will. All he needed to do was think about it. Very soon he found opportunities to use his new-found abilities to help in the world, participating in rescues, and even helping the fire department to manage fires. News of his exploits soon covered all local news papers and even some national ones. His name and research gathered international attention, and he received many offers from many interested high-profile parties, national and corporate. But his greatest victory up to that point was being able to command the financial resources of large academic grants, which allowed him to continue his studies and act as a "heroic helper" during his time off.

DMReckless
September 30th, 2019, 22:12
1. Name: Stratton
2. Character Name: Kiseki (aka Hito Kaijama)

3. Role playing experiences: vast and numerous, mostly Pathfinder lately
4. experience with Mutants and Masterminds: Pretty experienced, have run several short campaigns, including one on FG

5. Archetype: N/A
6. Original idea Description:

Kiseki is a NYC Forensics Officer by day and crimefighter by night.

Hito Kaijama was born and raised in the city that never sleeps. A son of first generation immigrants, he loves the diversity of the city, but loathes its deep underbelly of corruption. After an "arranged industrial accident" put him in a coma for sixteen months and removed him from the Scolnetti Family investigation, Hito found himself changed. They said it was a miracle he survived having drown in industrial waste and having technically been dead for over a minute. He awoke a day after being visited by a strange man no one can seem to remember an exact description of.

Hito's recovery was miraculous indeed, even more than people know, because the "accident"--or perhaps the strange visitor-- seems to have changed the reserved young scientist in more ways than one. Hito's vision has been transformed into a preternatural sense- he can see distances almost a mile away as clearly as another could see across the street; he can see microscopic details (including DNA) and analyze everything he sees in an instant.

Hito has been turned into a conduit of the animating force of life. He no longer needs to eat, drink, sleep, or even breathe. With a mere thought, he can cause wounds or blistering pustules to appear on enemies, and can likewise heal wounds merely by thinking about doing so.

thehorrors
September 30th, 2019, 23:56
Hey Blizzardwind you would be correct. I was going to use a combination of the darkness and death powers. I have never made a m&m character before but I was going to mess about with the process soon. Im sure I would need someone to check it out just to make sure everything is kosher.

Blizzardwind
October 1st, 2019, 01:17
Hi all. I every thing looks good. Pm me your Discord names and I will make a calendar with the date and I will leave this up until the game starts or we get one more person. Thank you all for your interest.

Highcourt
October 1st, 2019, 01:24
Hi. I would be interested in this game if there is still any spots open but need to know what time zone are you in?

1. Name: Mark

2. Character Name: Scarlett (Ronda Barns)

3. Role playing experiences: About 15 years, D&D, Pathfinder, Rifts, M&M 3rd, most recently Savage worlds.
Also have the Ultimate licence for fantasy grounds and run a Savage worlds game so I know the system pretty good but not familiar with the M&M ruleset

4. experience with Mutants and Masterminds: I own almost all the books and ran a campaign a couple years ago. I may be a bit rusty but still have a good grasp of the system

5. Archetype: Paragon

6. Original idea Description:
Ronda Barns lived an ordinary life, born and raised in the big city by loving parents. She was smart, pretty and popular all through school and into her collage years where she was studying to become a law professor. This would all change one fateful night in the late summer.
After spending a day at the beach with some friends Ronda was driving home when her car was hit by a truck that was trying to flee from police. After she woke up in the hospital a few days later she was told the driver of the truck had broken into a lab and stolen an experimental chemical compound. During the accident the container the compound was stored in broke open and sprayed into her car through the shattered windshield, covering the poor girl. At first there seemed to be no effect from the exposure and Ronda was released from hospital.
About a month later things began to change...

Would be a pretty basic character without any complicated powers as I know the system for building powers can get pretty complex in M&M.

Blizzardwind
October 1st, 2019, 02:00
To Highcourt Time zone is Eastern. if you are still interested you will be the last player accepted. If still interested note it hear and PM me with your Discord name.

Highcourt
October 1st, 2019, 02:46
Still interested. PM Sent, thx

Blizzardwind
October 2nd, 2019, 02:11
Hi DMReckless are you still interested please send me your Discord ID with name and number. Let me know if you are still interested, so I can then close this and get the game going. Thank you

chronoknight420
October 2nd, 2019, 03:14
Done

Blizzardwind
October 3rd, 2019, 20:16
To chronoknight420 if you are still interested send me a PM and give me your Discord user id including the numbers. Your have an interesting idea, but the time line that you set may have to be adjusted to fit the game but other then tht it is good.

chronoknight420
October 4th, 2019, 01:38
Over

Blizzardwind
October 5th, 2019, 00:28
Ok this post in now closed for now as we are filled.

Blizzardwind
November 23rd, 2019, 18:25
Hi this post is reopened I am looking for 2-4 people. To test the Game system and my understanding of it. This game is going to restarted after the new year. Those interested post hear with the information requested on the first page. Know this I am going to have at least 2 sessions that happen before people get there powers which is not expected to have combat, that can change depending on your actions The next 2 parts are your character getting and testing out your powers, and a small combat to test the combat system. if approved pm me with your Discord name including the number after the name. After the test if everyone agrees it could become a full campaign. Thank you for your interest.

MrKinister
November 23rd, 2019, 20:24
Here you go. I am going to reuse the same theme I had originally, but this time actually design the cold controller. Let me know if this works out for you.

Notes on the origin: this is how I see him going through his origin if left to his own devices. But of course this can all change depending on what you have in mind in your game.

1. Name: Michael Mathews
2. Character Name: Flashpoint

3. Role playing experiences: Since 1987, played all types of game, D&D, Hero Games, CoC, Gurps, etc.
4. Experience with Mutants and Masterminds: I have played it several times, and currently run my own campaign in PbP format

5. Archetype: Energy Projector
6. Original idea Description: (Background) Michael Mathews was a young physicist at the local university, working on a graduate thesis on freezing temperatures and bio-chemistry. In a freak accident, a leak in the refrigeration units caused a short circuit, creating a localized fire that burst all the pipes containing the cooling agents. As it so happened, Michael was exposed to the several genetic samples in cryogenic hibernation while he himself was covered in coolant and instantly frozen. However, the combination of circumstances, electrical currents, and freezing temperatures, combined in his body to create a one-in-a-billion accident. His body didn't stop its metabolism and die but instead merged with the bio-samples prepared for the occasion, absorbing their unique abilities throughout his own body as the electricity carried a potentially lethal current through him. It was days before Michael could be brought out of the ice. The lab had to be disassembled and the cryogenic containment had to be brought to normal temperatures. He was believed to be dead. But when his body finally returned to room temperature, he woke up and got up from the table. Aside from a massive headache and the fact that his body was covered in a thick layer of permafrost, he seemed to have suffered no ill effects. Several hours later, he was able to release the layer of ice around him, returning to a modicum of "normalcy". After extensive interviews with police and even some DoD officers, he returned to his regular life, and even continued to work on his thesis at the University. However, he was now able to call back his "ice form" at will. All he needed to do was think about it. Very soon he found opportunities to use his new-found abilities to help in the world, participating in rescues, and even helping the fire department to manage fires. News of his exploits soon covered all local news papers and even some national ones. His name and research gathered international attention, and he received many offers from many interested high-profile parties, national and corporate. But his greatest victory up to that point was being able to command the financial resources of large academic grants, which allowed him to continue his studies and act as a "heroic helper" during his time off.

GrimmStories
November 24th, 2019, 00:31
1. Name: Jack Davidson
2. Character Name: Rat

3. Role playing experiences: 3 to 4 years playing 5e mostly with experience in pathfinder 1e/2e, and VTM.
4. experience with Mutants and Masterminds: GM 3e for others, one campaign.

5. Archetype: I didn't use the M&M archetypes, but the character would fall under Supernatural.
6. Original idea Description: Davidson was part of a underground trafficking of stolen goods. He was sent to do a job to deliver a package that ended with him deliver the package to mad scientist that drugged him and used him as a test subject. The scientist did years of experiments on him and one day a experiment went wrong causing a explosion that took out the lab, a few weeks later people were seeing a half-man half rat moving around at night but most people ignored this urban lore.

Virtual
April 13th, 2020, 23:46
If there is a chance you might let in someone who is both new to FG and M&M please consider me.

Its not all down side. I have been playing RPG's sense the early 80's :) And I bought FG so I am invested :)