PDA

View Full Version : Work and Home, Subscription?

soulkeeper
September 27th, 2019, 20:47
So I use another game system at both home and work. I spend my lunch hour working on the campaign, and getting things ready, reading up, etc.

But we play from my home. I never log into both at the same time, to be honest, no idea if it would let me be logged in twice.

But, unlike that, which is web based, FG gives me a license code.

So the question I have is... can I still do this as long as I am not logged into both places at once?

Ampersandrew
September 27th, 2019, 21:12
Yes.

But be aware that the stuff you're prepping is on the machine you worked on it on. You will need to transfer the campaign yourself

soulkeeper
September 27th, 2019, 21:13
Yes.

Thank you!

Hector Trelane
September 27th, 2019, 21:14
Yes you can download the software to multiple machines and use the same key to activate it (for example, desktop and laptop). I have never tried to log in simultaneously to my paid license (only using a second instance to log is a test player). I don't know the legalities but in practice I think what you're paying for is one simultaneous user per account.

Mind you, to do what you describe would require you to install personal software on a work machine and then zip and copy the relevant campaign folders from the computer you used to edit it over to the one where you play. This isn't too confusing (I've done it a couple times) but you do have to pay careful attention to which files are which version so you don't mess yourself up.

LordEntrails
September 27th, 2019, 21:27
Just dont place your FG Data folder on a cloud folder like Drive etc if you allow the cloud to automatically ally sync. It can cause file corruption.

soulkeeper
September 30th, 2019, 13:16
Just dont place your FG Data folder on a cloud folder like Drive etc if you allow the cloud to automatically ally sync. It can cause file corruption.

Thanks for this note, it was my original plan. I'll look for a better solution.

Nylanfs
September 30th, 2019, 14:01
Note you can MANUALLY copy the data folder to a shared location for transportation purposes, you just can't tell FG to use that location because it will eventually corrupt your campaign data.

mattekure
September 30th, 2019, 14:27
Yeah, nothing wrong with running a backup script copying the campaign folder over to dropbox/gdrive/whatever when FG isnt running.

Milmoor
October 1st, 2019, 20:39
Thanks for this note, it was my original plan. I'll look for a better solution.
I use this script for migrating hence and forth.

robocopy "\\the-other-pc\campaign name" "D:\games\FantasyGroundsData\campaigns\campaign name" /MIR /Z /W:5 /NP > D:\log\FG_migration.log 2>&1
type D:\log\FG_migration.log
pause

I shared the campaign folder locally on the network for this.

For your case, use this to copy back and forth to Dropbox. That way you have significantly lowered the risk of corruption. Direct sharing of folders to the internet is a no. Via a VPN would work.

Bidmaron
October 1st, 2019, 23:58
VPN would not affect the integrity of the backup and corruption of data due to trying to statically pull a dynamic file,