PDA

View Full Version : Adding an aura to a token

Blakey
September 27th, 2019, 08:19
I'm certain this must be discussed somewhere on this forum but I've been unable to find it.

In many other VTT systems you can attach an aura to a token. This lets you easily see things like how far is the radius of the lanturn he is carrying, or how far does this spell radiate out from that token.

I can't find any way to do this in FG(*). Am I missing something?

Thanks
Blakey

(*) - our work around is to make a separate circular drawing and drag that around the map next to the token in question. It works but it is annoying to have to do.

Zacchaeus
September 27th, 2019, 10:40
Your method is the only way to achieve this at the moment. If you use one of the layers extensions you could have a token to represent it on a different layer but otherwise your method is the solution.

Blakey
September 27th, 2019, 11:04
Does anyone know if this ability is in the pipeline?

Zacchaeus
September 27th, 2019, 12:45
I'm sure it's on the wish list somewhere. Link in my signature.

JohnD
September 27th, 2019, 16:47
I don't think there are "many" other vtts out there, but regardless this would be a nice addition to FG.

celestian
September 27th, 2019, 18:04
I don't think there are "many" other vtts out there, but regardless this would be a nice addition to FG.

OP probably meant "most" because of all the VTTs I know of, FG is the only one that doesn't do it. I suspect FGU will change that at some point.

M836139
December 12th, 2020, 03:06
Ran into this issue this evening, playing Pathfinder 2E and I could not add an aura to myself for bless. Curious to hear if this is actually in the pipeline.

GavinRuneblade
December 12th, 2020, 19:16
I'm certain this must be discussed somewhere on this forum but I've been unable to find it.

In many other VTT systems you can attach an aura to a token. This lets you easily see things like how far is the radius of the lanturn he is carrying, or how far does this spell radiate out from that token.

I can't find any way to do this in FG(*). Am I missing something?

Thanks
Blakey

(*) - our work around is to make a separate circular drawing and drag that around the map next to the token in question. It works but it is annoying to have to do.

Actually FG does have this, it's just not used for this purpose. In the combat tracker you have a setting for "reach". when you mouse over a token the reach highlights all squares or hexes in this range. Adjust as needed.

Here is an orc with a 30-foot aura, as an example of what it looks like (map from Frostmaiden because wintery): 41942

To my knowledge, you can't hang effects on it, but I don't think you can in Roll20 either, and I know you can't in Foundry since that is all visuals. So the only limit on this is you can only see one aura at a time. But the advantage is that they don't clutter the map.

paladinlee
December 13th, 2020, 16:20
Unofficially, there is an extension or two that can handle this. But, usual disclaimer about extensions and mods, use at your own risk...no guarantee of future compatibility... etc.

Links in video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ53ikQqFnY

Personally, I've only dabbled with it once or twice so far. A learning curve, for sure. Once I figure it out, I'm sure it is as awesome at the extension's title leads on.