PDA

View Full Version : Fiasco

statik37
September 26th, 2019, 04:06
Hi, I have read the forums a little, and I know there is no Fiasco ruleset, but I could run it in CoreRPG. Would someone be able to help me learn how to set that up? I don't know CoreRPG very well, so I don't know what to do.

LordEntrails
September 26th, 2019, 05:10
First thing to do is to start a CoreRPG ruleset and build a charactersheet. There are numerous examples of character sheets here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23138-Share-Game-System-Character-Sheets

But, you might want to consider the community ruleset "MoreCore". It has lots of dice rolls and customizable character sheets as well. Plus it has pretty extensive documentation and community involvement. See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47382-MoreCore-Info

damned
September 26th, 2019, 07:59
Ive run Fiasco on MoreCore and Hector Trelane runs it at FG Con.
It doesnt require much in the way of setup.
Hector made icons of black and white dice 1-6 and you place those on the desktop and next to players tokens.
Thats about it...

Hector Trelane
October 16th, 2019, 04:00
Hi, I have read the forums a little, and I know there is no Fiasco ruleset, but I could run it in CoreRPG. Would someone be able to help me learn how to set that up? I don't know CoreRPG very well, so I don't know what to do.

Ask and ye shall receive: join us for this game at upcoming FG Con 15: https://www.fg-con.com/events/fiasco-learn-to-play-a-game-of-powerful-ambition-and-poor-impulse-control/

I'll be posting my modules and token sets that I use to create my table top--see screen shots here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47583-FG-Daze-January-19th-screenshots&p=423126&viewfull=1#post423126)--in a matter of weeks as I prep for FG-Con. I just need to figure out how to update the fonts, then I'm good to go. The "ruleset" won't be a ruleset but instead modules and token packs that can be used with CoreRPG and MoreCore as you prefer. So stay tuned!

RLacey
October 16th, 2019, 07:24
As someone who was otherwise about to start making the modules/tokens for my own version (having actually built the rulebook for my own personal use), thank you in advance for posting those!

statik37
October 16th, 2019, 13:03
I am in that game, and looking forward to playing and seeing how it works. Keep me posted when you release the module, I would love to get me hands on it.

RLacey
November 21st, 2019, 17:07
I wonder if there's any news from Hector regarding the modules and tokens sets for Fiasco?

I'm pondering playing a game of Fiasco with a regular group in the next month or so, and would be useful not to have to reinvent the wheel - though I appreciate there are probably more pressing matters for everyone at the moment...

zombielord
January 21st, 2020, 04:17
If you've got the modules and tokens completed I'd appreciate the share. (It'll save me some time while I build the book myself.)

Hector Trelane
January 21st, 2020, 17:20
Acknowledged. This is on my mid-burner (not back burner). Damned has been helping too (thanks damned!). There are some copyright-related edits I need to make before sharing, at the request of the game publisher. Also, the current version will likely be upgraded to a new, streamlined version. I may share the "version 0.9" just to get things rolling then post the new/improved asap afterwards.

zombielord
January 22nd, 2020, 00:24
That's awesome. =) I haven't really given Fiasco much thought since 2012 when I bought a copy at a gaming con after playing a game (had a blast). Thought I'd re-visit the game and try to get some online gaming with it.
I've downloaded a background and dice tokens from https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5999071/setting-up-a-collaborative-fiasco-environment-for-roll20 so I can just get something going.

However, I'll make up some new graphics for 3,4,and 5 player games after I finish up with creating the core book.

Hector Trelane
January 22nd, 2020, 04:42
See link to screen shots in post 4 above. It is functional and about as simple (which is to say a bit complicated) as that Roll20 set up.

Working to simplify so set up is faster and cleaner.

zombielord
January 25th, 2020, 21:23
Finished up converting FIASCO, and I "think" I've created a good game table.

I still haven't tested it out (nor have I played FIASCO in a long while) but I think it's pretty usable as-is.

I'd be curious to know what problems you had or unique solutions you've created for your FIASCO game on Fantasy Grounds.

Hector Trelane
January 25th, 2020, 22:34
Finished up converting FIASCO, and I "think" I've created a good game table.

I still haven't tested it out (nor have I played FIASCO in a long while) but I think it's pretty usable as-is.

I'd be curious to know what problems you had or unique solutions you've created for your FIASCO game on Fantasy Grounds.

Looks sharp! Maybe we collaborate? Your cosmetics are great, and perhaps a couple alternative skins or tables would be nice to offer.

I will be working on some functionality stuff... GMing has been claiming what FG time I have but I will seek to reserve some for this project.

P.S. What do you say about hosting a Fiasco game for the upcoming FG-Con 16? That would give us a nice deadline to shoot for.

zombielord
January 26th, 2020, 15:57
Sure. I'd be happy to collaborate.

No commitments just yet for me on FG-Con 16 (I'd like to, just gotta wait on my work schedule closer to time before I can commit). I am gonna put in for the time off, and try to get FIASCO completed with time to do a trial run or two by April 24th.

UPDATE:
I'm also going to cross-testing everything with Fantasy Grounds Unity. Currently I've found 2 issues with FGU:
#1. When building a book with Fantasy Grounds having the "&" in an image file name causes an error preventing the module to load. '<' is an unexpected token, Expected token is ';'. Simple fix is rename files to "And" instead of "&"
#2. They hyphen character is missing and just shows a blank character box. I suspect it is because it's actually the hyphen glyph '–' (aka –) and not a standard dash (or minus) "-" symbol. Simple fix is to do a find and replace in the db.xml for "–" and replace it with "- "

wyndhydra
April 12th, 2020, 09:08
Hi there, I was wondering if any more headway was made on this? I was thinking about trying to get some folks together for fiasco with the current situation and was curious if any sort of module or such was available? If not, no worries, but given some of the images I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Hector Trelane
May 11th, 2020, 20:35
zombielord and wyndhydra, I am hosting this game this Sunday morning in a very early time slot (US Eastern) if you'd like to join: see here: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Fiasco+--+on+Fantasy+Grounds+%28one+shot%29&iso=20200517T06&p1=417&ah=3&am=30

zombielord hopefully this gets me moving on the updates I envision for this ruleset to then incorporate with your work.

zombielord
May 11th, 2020, 22:01
Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately I can't this time (Please keep me in mind for future games though).
On a related note I did get a game in of FIASCO using just the CoreRPG and the created graphics. It went pretty well, but there's alot of dice rolling automation that could be added (particularly with the whole dicepool aspect).

I'll definitely be re-visiting this after I finish up converting all the stuff for my ALIEN RPG game.

Hector Trelane
May 11th, 2020, 22:05
Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately I can't this time (Please keep me in mind for future games though).
On a related note I did get a game in of FIASCO using just the CoreRPG and the created graphics. It went pretty well, but there's alot of dice rolling automation that could be added (particularly with the whole dicepool aspect).

I'll definitely be re-visiting this after I finish up converting all the stuff for my ALIEN RPG game.

Sounds great. (On dice pool automation, that’s above my head… So far I have been using dice tokens.)

wyndhydra
May 12th, 2020, 18:23
Hector, I'd love to but also have plans for that day. If you plan on doing other times in the future please let me know and I will try and attend. I hope it goes great! I'm excited to see how it is going for both of you. I have got it generally organized in practice but have so far failed to get my group to play one. I long for that day...

Hector Trelane
May 12th, 2020, 18:40
Hector, I'd love to but also have plans for that day. If you plan on doing other times in the future please let me know and I will try and attend. I hope it goes great! I'm excited to see how it is going for both of you. I have got it generally organized in practice but have so far failed to get my group to play one. I long for that day...

No problem, will do!

Hector Trelane
May 18th, 2020, 16:57
Had a great fun run of Fiasco, Tales from Suburbia this past weekend. Still tweaking ease-of-play for the various in-game tools to make the gamer run smoothly. Here's a screen shot:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35682

Hector Trelane
May 20th, 2020, 19:38

Hi folks, I am likely to schedule another game for Sun May 31 at 6 am Eastern (currently GMT-4) to test out some improvements to the playset I've been developing. wynhydra you're welcome to join in the fun; zombielord in particular, it'd be good to have you at the table for playtest reasons. (Your extension is more robust; what I can bring to the table is streamlining and ease-of-use. Also, I've talked to the game company about what they do/do not want shared.) We can use zombielord's game mat and dice tokens to give those a run (with his permission).

That time slot happens to work for me (family reasons); can it work for you or do we need a plan B?

Hector Trelane
May 28th, 2020, 00:00
Hi everyone,
Time for another game of Fiasco, this Sunday, May 31; the time in your local time zone can be found here: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Fiasco+--+on+Fantasy+Grounds+%28one+shot%29&iso=20200531T06&p1=3918&ah=3&am=30

This is a playtest game for the community ruleset (module, really) under development by a number of us on this thread. I'm streamlining playsets for ease of use by players the during the Setup. We may also have some new cosmetic features... If you'd like to play, shoot me a PM. We will use Discord for audio chat. Server = keen idol tiny orc

Cheers!

damned
May 28th, 2020, 01:12
Im a possible. Will confirm soon!

Hector Trelane
May 28th, 2020, 01:35
Im a possible. Will confirm soon!

Cool...new and interesting playsets await...

Hector Trelane
May 31st, 2020, 15:46
A fun game of Fiasco with the Boomtown playset today, doing a test run with zombielord's playmat and tokens. Thanks for the game and ideas for improvement, everyone!

(Refinements to improve ease-of-use still to come... I am thinking Tables may be the way to go...)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36293[/QUOTE]

guyriessen
November 30th, 2020, 05:04
Would love to run Fiasco using your current build (assuming FGU anyway since that's what I've got!). Is the WiP available to play with, or is there info on what the current status is? Thanks!

JubiladosdeArkham
December 6th, 2020, 20:50
I'm interested too.

TechDragon
February 9th, 2021, 11:36
I assume after so many years without any posted ruleset, that this is abandoned and I should just make my own? Or is my Google fu failing me and it is available somewhere?

Hector Trelane
February 9th, 2021, 12:59
I assume after so many years without any posted ruleset, that this is abandoned and I should just make my own? Or is my Google fu failing me and it is available somewhere?

A couple of us collaborated on a module and/or extension for CoreRPG to run Fiasco, which is amounts to much the same as a ruleset. It works fine, although not quite as streamlined as we hoped. It may be possible to share some of this content.

zombielord
February 12th, 2021, 20:47
Yeah, I worked on this during being furloughed, but spent most of my time on the fan created ALIEN Rpg. I haven't even played any games on FG for awhile, but I'm getting back into gaming. FIASCO was in process but never fully fleshed out as a ruleset.

Hector Trelane
February 12th, 2021, 21:19
Yeah, I worked on this during being furloughed, but spent most of my time on the fan created ALIEN Rpg. I haven't even played any games on FG for awhile, but I'm getting back into gaming. FIASCO was in process but never fully fleshed out as a ruleset.

I defer to your superior coding mojo, zomielord. I'm willing to share the module I have, FWIW, if IP permissions allow.

zombielord
February 13th, 2021, 01:21
You're too kind. I just throw code at things and hack at it until it works, but I'd be happy to try and blend some things together (as time permits) for FIASCO. It seems there's some interest in it.

Hector Trelane
February 22nd, 2021, 19:50
I see FG Con 16 is coming up. I could be persuaded to run and/or play in a Fiasco game then. Was just looking at cool additional playsets and getting in the mood. Anyone up for that? TechDragon this could be a chance to play in one of the set ups-- mine or zombielord's (we are cheering on zombielord!).

NB mine is a generic module that was made for FG Classic. Don't know if it can work in FG Unity but presumably so.